Question regarding Calories gained.

Options
Do most people here use all the calories that they gain from exercising? Did 18 miles today on the bike and gained over 1100 calories- but it seems excessive to eat that much.

Replies

• csw5048
    csw5048 Posts: 26
    Options
    Do most people here use all the calories that they gain from exercising? Did 18 miles today on the bike and gained over 1100 calories- but it seems excessive to eat that much.
  • tig3rang3l
    tig3rang3l Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I eat most of mine... you need to fuel your body. There are lots of posts on this, however, so read the sticky posts in the forums.
  • alapointe
    alapointe Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    You opened a can of worms.

There are different opinions about this, if you go back to message boards and type excercise calories you will see all the threads on this topic.

Some say to eat them back, some don't, and others say eat some not all. I think you need to find what works best for you.:drinker:
  • nat96
    nat96 Posts: 4
    Options
    no i just eat the allocated calories, I guess thats how you loss weight. Good on you for doing that much exercise
  • tig3rang3l
    Options
    no i just eat the allocated calories, I guess thats how you loss weight. Good on you for doing that much exercise

Problem with this, as I'm learning, is that if there is too large a deficit, your body thinks you are starving (ie: not able to obtain enough food) and begins to slow down the metabolism and shuts down things it doesn't think you need. Basically, over time, it's going into survival mode, and not only is it unhealthy, but you won't lose weight. PLEASE read the sticky forums posts before you come to a conclusion on how your body works.
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    You could always eat half and save some for tomorrow.

Or I could log them on my diary and eat them for you.:laugh:
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    You should try and eat some. But like if I workout and burn say 500 or less I will up my cals 300 to 1500 cals for the day. And sometimes I don't eat that many. If you are not hungry do not eat. Just because you didn't eat them all today does not mean you will not lose weight. You don't go into starvation overnight. Eat if you are hungry.

Good for you for getting a good workout in.
  • nat96
    Options

Problem with this, as I'm learning, is that if there is too large a deficit, your body thinks you are starving (ie: not able to obtain enough food) and begins to slow down the metabolism and shuts down things it doesn't think you need. Basically, over time, it's going into survival mode, and not only is it unhealthy, but you won't lose weight. PLEASE read the sticky forums posts before you come to a conclusion on how your body works.
  • nat96
    Options
    Hi tig3rang31 as you can see I joined today and as far as I knew you go into starvation mode when you dont consume enough calories.
    In stead of being judgemental you could try being more helpful to the newer people on this site and maybe explain how I would find the sticky forums post
    THANKS
  • csw5048
    Options
    One thing too is I'm not very overweight so I'm pretty fit but the Coast Guard is changing it's weight standards to BMI which is pretty tough- so I just figured I would trying burning some extra fat and muscle off to get down to a more desirable BMI (even though I believe BMI is flawed).
  • kallio
    kallio Posts: 70
    Options
    Nope! I try to stay in my healthy calorie range (1200-1400) If I earn extra calories I may use some, but the bigger the calorie deficit the quicker the results!!!
  • csw5048
    Options
    haha- Well I have a beer tasting on Monday which some local brewers so I am planning on saving some for then! :smokin:
  • aromans
    aromans Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    yes, i add them & eat them all because i'm so hungry after i work out. I do alot of exercise and if you don't eat quality nutrition after workouts, especially hard ones, the body puts out the stress hormone called cortisol & causes you to gain fat. That's why some people say, i'm working out harder than ever but gained weight instead of lost... way too many women just don't eat enough. It just needs to be quality but you need to meet the calorie goal that includes your bonus calories from workout.
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I eat 50-75% of them back because I don't have a heart rate monitor to know 100% accuracy of how many I burned for sure and I don't trust this website in it's accuracy of how many calories I burned doing certain activities. There are too many variables. Example, the intensity I put in that day, etc.
  • Rottiemama
    Rottiemama Posts: 66
    Options
    I eat 50-75% of them back because I don't have a heart rate monitor to know 100% accuracy of how many I burned for sure and I don't trust this website in it's accuracy of how many calories I burned doing certain activities. There are too many variables. Example, the intensity I put in that day, etc.

I agree, i don't trust the accuracy of the amount of calories burned for certain activities. I find it hard to know which websites to trust when it comes to this issue. I waled 40 minutes the other day, one website said it was 338 calories burned at a fast pace, another said 450...that's alot of caloric difference and boy, I don't want to eat the wrong amount of calories....so I too question the right thing to do.. I do know you need fuel to stoke the calorie burning fire....but hmmmmm....???:grumble:
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Here's that link on eating your calories and why it's important.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

... and another interesting read about how a woman couldn't lose weight at 700 calories a day.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing
  • tig3rang3l
    Options
    Hi tig3rang31 as you can see I joined today and as far as I knew you go into starvation mode when you dont consume enough calories.
    In stead of being judgemental you could try being more helpful to the newer people on this site and maybe explain how I would find the sticky forums post
    THANKS

So far as I knew, I wasn't being judgemental at all. If I came across that way to you, my apologies, I was just explaining what I've found out in the month I've been here. At the top of every forum there are a number of topics that have a pin next to them on the left hand side that will always be at the top. Ghanie's posted them further down.
  • CarmenSantiago
    CarmenSantiago Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    You could always eat half and save some for tomorrow.

Or I could log them on my diary and eat them for you.:laugh:

:laugh: OMG I'm dying!! That is hilarious! What a generous soul you are! LMAO :laugh:

Thanks for the chuckle!
  • fiddlechic
    fiddlechic Posts: 196
    Options
    i have decided to eat half my exercise calories. not sure if this is good or bad.
  • aromans
    aromans Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    i wouldn't eat 1100 extra based on the system but rather, based on your heart rate monitor that tells how much you burned. Sometimes it says alot but i only burn 400 during some 17 mile bike rides because i'm more fit on the bike. Those are just estimates but you need the hrm to determine what YOU are actually burning & then yes, i would eat those extra or at least within 100 - 200