shin splints

Options
2»

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Rest is the best medicine for shin splints. If you need new shoes, get them. Otherwise, be sure you aren't doing high impact activities too often or pushing for new durations/distances too quickly. Also, be sure the surface isn't too hard. Concrete is very bad. The only time in my life I've had shin splints was while practicing and competing in vault (gymnastics) on a concrete floor.

You didn't say which sport you engage in, but runners are coached to not increase distances more than 10% a week. I'd think that's good advice for someone doing other high impact activies, too. In other words, if you're used to a half hour, you shouldn't immediately increase to an hour. Also, if you're just starting something new, limit high impact activities to every other day.
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Rest is the best medicine for shin splints. If you need new shoes, get them. Otherwise, be sure you aren't doing high impact activities too often or pushing for new durations/distances too quickly. Also, be sure the surface isn't too hard. Concrete is very bad. The only time in my life I've had shin splints was while practicing and competing in vault (gymnastics) on a concrete floor.

You didn't say which sport you engage in, but runners are coached to not increase distances more than 10% a week. I'd think that's good advice for someone doing other high impact activies, too. In other words, if you're used to a half hour, you shouldn't immediately increase to an hour. Also, if you're just starting something new, limit high impact activities to every other day.

Very helpful. Thank you
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I have had them several times... You have to strengthen your shins. Ice, stretching, compression socks and foam rollers all help. I used KT Tape as well (great stuff!) The first time I rolled my shins I thought I would die.. now it feels great!

This website has good information:

http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/sport-injuries/ankle-achilles-shin-pain/shin-splints

I warm up my shins now before running or working out, toe taps, heel lifts etc.

Good luck!
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Resting is the cure for shin splits but how do you prevent them from occurring again? Stay away from pavement and stick to dirt, gravel, tracks, and treadmills. Building muscles around the area causing pain will also help reduce the strain on the area causing pain.
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    i've never had them, but my brother had them for a long time. he used to take small paper cups (like a bathroom cup), fill them with water and freeze them. then, once frozen, he would hold the cup upside down and rub the top of the cup up and down his shins. when ice melted, he would tear away more paper. it made a mess b/c of all the water, so he would do it on a towel. one cup for each shin. it was the only thing that got him thru it. i felt bad for him. good luck!
  • Malrose01
    Malrose01 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Ouch! I had them really bad once- it helped A LOT to wear leg braces, the tighter the better. Definitely helps the pain and helps you feel more stable. I couldn't do any sort of running without pain for 6 weeks. Also, ice. I wouldn't recommend pain killers, just because they didn't make much difference to me, and I didn't want to take 8 or 10 of them a day for little to no effect.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Lots of rest. I also have a hot bath and then roll a can of hairspray over the shins (TOWARDS the heart), which releases the ligaments a little. It hurts to do but feels much better the next morning.