Going dairy free. I need suggestions.

Options
2»

Replies

• ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I haven't found a creamer or yogurt I like that are dairy free.

I like the Vegan Galaxy Rice cheese the best. I have an issue with cows milk so I simply switched to goats milk, maybe do that, I *think* the hormones are different.
  • sufikitkat
    sufikitkat Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I am allergic to Dairy so I could tell you a slew of things!

Cookie Dough Cocount Milk Ice Cream is delicious :-) Amande Almond Milk Yogurt is also a great alternative. I don't drink coffee so unfortuantely I can't help with the creamer :-/ Some other favorites of mine are Daiya cheese if you are looking to replace dairy overall such as pizza and mac and cheese.

Also, if it does clear up your skin, you may want to consider being tested for an allergy/ high sensitivity to dairy. This is completely different from lactose intolerance as it is a reaction to the proteins found in milk, specifically casein and whey. Good luck with your switch!
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the thick cream from a can of coconut milk? This causes the coffee to be a lighter color, like half and half. Pour out the watery part or use it in a smoothie. I use like two or three tablespoons in my cup of coffee and it is yummy :)

Wanted to add: try some guacamole on your sandwich or in replacement of how you would use laughing cow.

If giving up dairy doesn't work for your skin, try giving up sugar and/or grains. Sensitivities to these can manifest as acne.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Going on some probiotics will help with the acne.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Before I gave up and started drinking my coffee black, I was using FULL FAT coconut milk. The kind from a can. It was the only thing that came even close to being creamy enough for me. The fat content wasn't an issue for me because it fit into my macros for the day.
  • sailorsiren13
    Options
    i'm lactose so i use powdered cream in my coffee sugar-free vanilla caramel is the fave. i buy slice veggie cheese for my son he is lactose intolerant as well and loves that on his sandwiches for school. mainly i just quit getting cheese on everything there is lactose-free yoplait that is good for your yogurt fix. The So-Delicous plus Vanilla Almond Milk is the best for Flavor. Once you get used to living without dairy it gets pretty easy well at least for me except for Pizza I LOVE Pizza. Hope this helps.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    you enjoy all these foods - why give them up. try to eat foods high in zinc for your acne and drink plenty of water.
  • littlemili
    littlemili Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Check out cuisine from places like Asia, Africa, South America where a huge proportion of the population are lactose intolerant. Since discovering my dairy allergy (only took 20 years to figure why my throat was closing up...) I eat curries of various kinds most days.

For milk, you could try almond, quinoa, oat, hazelnut, soy, coconut...there's a lot out there. One of them is bound to be good enough. If you really need it creamy, you can buy soy cream. I love soy cream cheese, it's probably not the best choice if you are at all bothered by your fat intake, but if you're not then check it out because it is deliciously good. Soy ice cream is also good. Investigate silken firm tofu recipes for yoghurt replacements if soy yoghurt won't cut it. I make a 300 calorie dessert by blending a whole packet of silken firm tofu with agave and cocoa powder. 25g protein, tastes like a super rich creamy yoghurt mousse thing, and dairy free.
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Coconut milk, usually buy it in the cans. Look up Coconut Bliss ice cream if you need an ice cream fix.
  • lk27
    lk27 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I had a problem with my skin for years and tried everything to get it to clear up. One thing I noticed once I started MFP was that I was not eating any sweets. My skin cleared up almost immediately. Now, if I do have sweets or candy, what do you know? My face breaks out. May not be your soloution, but it worked for me. I do LOVE almond milk. I put it in my coffee (the unsweetened vanilla) and you get used to the taste so that when you do have full fat creamer, it seems overpowering.
  • solarpower4
    solarpower4 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    never was a coffee drinker so never used half and half and can't suggest a replacement

If you are near a whole foods, they sell these really tasty almond milk based yogurts called Amande, i never had Chobani, but I like Amande

There are also Daiya shreds which are great dairy substitute. And Tofutti cream cheese is honestly a good substitute for a creamy rich cheese flavor.

and I love eating Soy Dreams Mocha Fudge ice cream, never now there was no dairy in it.

I've been on and off dairy products for year, mostly because the casein negatively affects my body, but I can still handle goat cheese, and that it's great replacement for laughing cow as well, but not sure if you are giving that up too.

hope that helps.

Ditto the above comments, though I don't eat soy. I've had to be dairy free for 9 years (until forever). The only truly casein-free (and soy-free) cheese I've found (even at our Whole Foods and specialty stores) is Daiya. A warning about Daiya cheese though: although it all tastes good and melts well, the cheddar-style shreds have a distinctive (and unpleasant) odor when heated that takes some getting used to. The Daiya Mozzarella-style is delish and lacks that weird smell. So Delicious makes some dangerously tasty coconut-based ice cream. Some people swear by Silk brand almond milk, others by Almond Breeze. I personally used to prefer Almond Breeze Unsweetened, but now I just make my own and it's the best of all of them.

Do talk to your doctor about the need to take a calcium supplement. Even when consuming tons of dairy alternatives and broccoli and dark leafy greens (for calcium), it's difficult to consume enough calcium in a form that our bodies can utilize without taking a supplement.

Good luck and happy skin!
  • khagador
    khagador Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I've been vegan for 5 years. Here's my favorite dairy-free products and where to buy them.

coffee creamer- Trader Joes has a soy brand, Silk has a delicious hazelnut and french vanilla kinds, So Delicious has a coconut creamer kind. Can be found at Giant, Whole Foods, and natural food stores.
    So Delicious coconut yogurt-- Giant, Wegmans, Whole Foods
    Almond Breeze almond milk, unsweetened 40 cal- Any grocery store
    Purely Decadent frozen dessert- variety of flavors. Giant, Wegmans, Whole Foods (can be expensive but there's coupons)
    Trader Joe's brand frozen dessert- their brand of "ice cream" is so creamy and delicious.
    Trader Joe's chocolate sorbet
    Daiya- the most delicious alternative to cheese- Giant, Whole Foods, Wegmans, natural food stores
    tofutti brand sour cream and cream cheese- Giant, Whole Foods, Wegmans, natural food stores
  • JenChis22
    JenChis22 Posts: 25
    Options
    coconut and almond milk are wonderful!
    you can get coconut and rice based ice creams. They are really good.
  • I find rice milk and oat milk are good options. Soya and almond milk can often be high in fat. Yet, it is difficult to find a good replacement. If you want to go dairy free your best to cut it out and maybe only use a replacement in cooking. I don't think you'll find anything that tastes as good in coffee as the real thing - find a good coffee shop and go black!
  • ShawtyLatina
    ShawtyLatina Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Bump on the SoDelcious Cookie Dough Coconut ice cream. It's super delish!

On a cream cheese replacement... I prefer a product from Trader Joe's called This is not cream cheese non-dairy spread. It lacks the hydrogenated fats and oils found in Tofutti and I think it taste just a bit richer and closer to the real thing.

Good luck! Hope your newly clear skin is just weeks away. :)
  • cowgirlslikeus86
    cowgirlslikeus86 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Thank you every one for the wonderful suggestions. I have already tried some of them and seem to have found a few things I like.
    I did try some soy yogurt that was yummy, then read the ingredients to find it still contains "Dairy". who knew? I do like Silk hazelnut creamer and Vanilla almond breeze unsweetened, though!

I am impressed with all the great advice and even a grocery list that was composed for me! You guys rock! Thanx a bunch!

exercise.png