:sad: WHY IS DIETING SO HARD

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    It is what you think it is.
  • florfreda
    Options
    It is very hard and i just started. Look at you..already 8 lbs down!
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I find major lifestyle changes difficult in the beginning but for me it gets easier after 2-3 weeks because it feels like habit then. Just stick with it and I'm sure it'll get easier for you.
  • Tourney3p0
    Tourney3p0 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I found it got a lot easier when I stopped thinking of it as a diet.

Your "diet" should be how you're eating anyway. Otherwise, as soon as you stop you're going to gain back all the weight you're trying to lose.
  • Abrasue
    Abrasue Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    STOP DIETING, just eat clean.....
  • vabrewer33
    vabrewer33 Posts: 185
    Options
    For the same reason that the things that taste the best are the worst for you--life sucks sometimes :) Just have to smile and move on...life would be far less interesting if everyday were easy peasy!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I agree with the lifestyle thing. Also, don't make it any harder than it need to be. You don't need to worry about all the macros and cardio vs weights and all that jazz. Just set a reasonable calorie count, and stick to it.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    because diets are all about strict rules of don't eat this that you love, don't eat that that you love. that's why I'm not dieting. this is a lifestyle change for me. I eat what I love. just less of it and, for some things, much less often.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    What's this 'Dieting' you speak of? It even has the word 'Die' in it :huh:
  • JanetLM73
    JanetLM73 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    When I think of "diet" it makes me want to rip my hair out, so I think of it as a "lifestyle change" Keep thinking about your goal and how you are going to feel when you reach it, and all the milestones you hit on the way. There are days that I think I'm never going to lose it, but it's a long process, I didn't gain 50 lbs overnight and I'm sure as heck not going to lose it overnight. You CAN do this!
  • birdieintx
    birdieintx Posts: 298
    Options
    I don't know, I don't diet.

I make healthy choices and pay attention to what I put in my body. I don't deprive myself of food I love or follow any sort of craze or fads that I won't be able to keep up with that promise unrealistic results. And I exercise to earn myself more yummy delicious nutritious food.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    It also doesn't work.

You need habit change instead.
  • xMsAlly
    xMsAlly Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I don't see it as a diet anymore. Being "on a diet" implies that you can be "off it" too! and gain all the weight back and then some!

Now I just think of it as eating and being healthy. The results last longer and is effortless :)
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Stop putting so much thought into it. Just think of it as getting healthy.
  • tracer92
    tracer92 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is hard. Being overweight is hard. Pick your hard.
  • kianne372
    kianne372 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Why--because when you finally reach your goal--then you have something REALLY BIG to put on your list of accomplishments and brag about.
  • kianne372
    kianne372 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yep you got it right
    cmriverside
  • jacquelynkay
    jacquelynkay Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I must admit this post is so very true! I have such a love for food. Dieting is extremely hard for me for me also. I am limited to the certain foods. I have texture issues and do not eat fruits or veggies. I only will eat a handful of both. I know- I know, some people cannot imagine that! But it is very true. I've tried for years to eat fruits, but I gag. So, I am happy with MFP- I'm allowed to just count calories and pick the foods I can eat. Just sharing :) Feel free to add me :)
  • franwriter40
    Options
    It is hard. I just gained back everything I lost since I joined. One splurg and you can gain pounds. One week of sticking to your goal and if you're lucky you lose a pound. It doesn't seem to balance out.

I'm so glad that you posted about your frustrations here though, 'cause there's a ton of great advice. I especially like the idea of still eating what you love, just less of it or less often.
  • fruitypop88
    Options
    I dont see what I am doing as dieting. I eat anything I want, fair enough I look at the calories in crisps and chocolate and get the lower option but I exercise and exercise doesnt need to be painful or intense, I never used to leave the house only for work and I still avoid seeing my family and friends because of the weight i put on I feel ashamed but ive been using MFP for only 2weeks and I feel amazing after my exercises I want to get out more I feel amazing.