Egg whites... what's your style?

Options
cekeys
cekeys Posts: 397 Member
How do you separate your egg whites? Me? I learned from a video game & I've gotten really good at it. Crack the egg over a bowl. With the two halves of the eggshell in each hand, pass the egg yolk back and forth between the half shells. During the transition between egg shells, the egg white falls into the bowl below. It takes about 3-4 passes to get it all.

What about you? How do you get your egg whites?

Replies

• RayRay1500
    RayRay1500 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I just posted about trying out egg whites only. How much different does it taste without the yolk??
  • Colofit
    Colofit Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Eat the whole egg guys, gone are the days where nutritionist say not to eat the yolk...the whole egg is a PERFECT food!!!!!
  • billtonkin
    billtonkin Posts: 109
    Options
    Why waste half the egg? The yolk is the best part. You're throwing away half the protein in the egg and you need fats in your diet anyway. If you must only use egg whites, buy the whites in the carton and stop wasting your money on the full price of eggs and throwing half in the trash.
  • RayRay1500
    RayRay1500 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I am going to stick with the yolk!!
  • donnantx
    donnantx Posts: 76
    Options
    I buy the egg whites in the carton, really because I just prefer egg whites, I will eat a whole egg as a hardboiled and a whole egg for breakfast once in a blue moon...but I just prefer egg whites in the carton because it is easier
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I usually eat the whole egg, but if I need egg white for a recipe (or yolks) I crack the egg and pour the whole thing into my hand. the white slips into the bowl and I don't have to worry about crack the yolk on the shell while passing it back and forth.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I think people like to use the whites to keep the fat down whilst increasing the protein. I use the whole egg but bought some egg whites in a carton. This is from my thread yesterday that had no comments, perhaps someone can comment here:

Does anyone use the frozen egg whites that come in carton. They have to be stored in freezer but put in fridge when you want to defrost it. How long can it sit in the fridge unopened and defrosted? If you open it need to use within 7 days but what if thawed but not open. I forgot about it and was sitting thawed in fridge over 2 weeks.
  • ItsTiffanyFTW
    ItsTiffanyFTW Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I always thought people didn't recommend the yolks b/c of the amt of cholesterol in them...
  • ColCul
    ColCul Posts: 53
    Options
    I buy "Simply Egg Whites". I make omelets using one egg and 1/4 c egg whites to reduce calories with little effect on taste.
  • cekeys
    cekeys Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I should state that I remove the yolk because my cholesterol goes too high if I eat them.
  • billtonkin
    billtonkin Posts: 109
    Options
    I always thought people didn't recommend the yolks b/c of the amt of cholesterol in them...

If you have a problem with cholesterol, then yes. But there are plenty of scientific studies debunking that myth for the general population. Here is one.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16340654

Dietary cholesterol provided by eggs and plasma lipoproteins in healthy populations.
    Fernandez ML.
    Source
    Department of Nutritional Sciences, University of Connecticut, Storrs, Connecticut 06269, USA. maria-luz.fernandez@uconn.edu
    Abstract
    PURPOSE OF REVIEW:
    Extensive research has not clearly established a link between egg consumption and risk for coronary heart disease. The effects of egg intake on plasma lipids and low-density lipoprotein (LDL) atherogenicity in healthy populations need to be addressed.
    RECENT FINDINGS:
    The lack of connection between heart disease and egg intake could partially be explained by the fact that dietary cholesterol increases the concentrations of both circulating LDL and high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol in those individuals who experience an increase in plasma cholesterol following egg consumption (hyperresponders). It is also important to note that 70% of the population experiences a mild increase or no alterations in plasma cholesterol concentrations when challenged with high amounts of dietary cholesterol (hyporesponders). Egg intake has been shown to promote the formation of large LDL, in addition to shifting individuals from the LDL pattern B to pattern A, which is less atherogenic. Eggs are also good sources of antioxidants known to protect the eye; therefore, increased plasma concentrations of lutein and zeaxanthin in individuals consuming eggs are also of interest, especially in those populations susceptible to developing macular degeneration and eye cataracts.
    SUMMARY:
    For these reasons, dietary recommendations aimed at restricting egg consumption should not be generalized to include all individuals. We need to acknowledge that diverse healthy populations experience no risk in developing coronary heart disease by increasing their intake of cholesterol but, in contrast, they may have multiple beneficial effects by the inclusion of eggs in their regular diet.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    That's the way I've always done it. Didn't realize there was any other way to do it.
  • rkgb
    rkgb Posts: 22
    Options
    I pass the egg back and forth between the broken egg shell then wastefully toss the yolk. If you want to keep eggshell out of you food do this step into a small bowl first then dump onto pan. I then to crack them into a bowl before I cook them so the egg whites start cooking at the same time.
  • modernmom70
    modernmom70 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I buy them in the carton not frozen. I like too eat them for weekday breakfast just because lots of protien few calories compared to a whole egg which allows me to have a "bigger" breakfast that gets me through to lunch. I do eat lots of whole eggs as well, on weekends or for supper.
  • vzucco
    vzucco Posts: 229
    Options
    Eat the whole egg guys, gone are the days where nutritionist say not to eat the yolk...the whole egg is a PERFECT food!!!!!

Yep!
  • rkgb
    rkgb Posts: 22
    Options
    I don't like egg yolks never have. Unless they are baked into something, cookies yum....
  • 99cherrypie99
    99cherrypie99 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    We raise our own chickens and their yolks easily separate from the whites. I eat a couple whole eggs and then add a couple whites. Keeps calories down, dogs get the yolks!