Overcoming an injury

Options
Hi everyone,

I developed a blood clot in my left leg; my leg is swollen and has gone down some, but since I'm unable to exercise I am becoming discourage..I am able to move around some but I am actually missing my daily exercise routine...

Anyone out there with motivation to keep me going though this healing time...

Replies

• iamladibeast
    iamladibeast Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I developed a blood clot in my left leg; my leg is swollen and has gone down some, but since I'm unable to exercise I am becoming discourage..I am able to move around some but I am actually missing my daily exercise routine...

Anyone out there with motivation to keep me going though this healing time...
  • leann_m_olson
    leann_m_olson Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Find some excercises that you can do, there are a lot of isometric excercises for stomach and arms. It sucks but you will have to watch what you eat especially if you are just sitting around recovering. Read up on cooking light and excercises that you want to do when you get better. Surround yourself with healthy things, subscribe to Running magazine or Cooking Light.

You can get through this!
  • iamladibeast
    Options
    Thanks for the great advise..I have been watching what I eat so hopefully once I'm fully recovered and able to start my exercise routine again I won't have to much of a struggle.
  • slimkitty
    slimkitty Posts: 418
    Options
    Hi. How long has it been since you developed the blood clot? What did your doctor say about exercise?
    I think you should be able to do any exercise that doesn't send blood rushing through your legs.
    I know most doctors tell you to lay low for a few weeks, but I really think you can do some upper body strength training. I know you are watching what you eat, but really take this opportunity to clean up your diet. It will keep your weight under control and provide nutrients so your body can heal. Lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, nuts and seeds. Are you on Coumadin? Do you have any Vitamin K restrictions? I would normally suggest eating lots of leafy greens, but those may be out of the question if you need to limit your vitamin K.

Good luck. I hope your heal well and can resume your normal life very soon.
  • iamladibeast
    Options
    This is my second clot. I had one in early February, then a recurrence at the end of April. I am on Coumadin and have to watch my Vitamin K intake. My doctor has suggest walking to improve the blood flow but my foot is still very swollen and hurts when I walk. I have started on working my upper body, doing circuit training.

Thanks much