Advice on lowering sugar/dairy intake?

Options
Zerashen
Zerashen Posts: 59 Member
Hello all, I'm back from a rather spotty hiatus, and so I figured I'd jump into the community to help prevent another one (and prevent more weight gain).

Does anyone have good advice that's worked for them on lowering sugar/dairy intake? I've found that it makes me feel sick after a certain amount, and even then it's hard to try to stop eating them.

What's worked for you?

Replies

• barbj08
    barbj08 Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm Catholic and I give up sweets for Lent every year. Sweets are my downfall but I can give them up for those 6 weeks, thanks to my Catholic guilt. I'm still trying to figure out how to keep my resolve for the rest of the year. One thing you might try is allowing yourself one day a week to indulge. It makes it easier to resist temptation if you know that it's only for a few more days. Good luck and if you figure out a trick, LET ME KNOW!:happy:
  • japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    What kind of sugar are you talking about? Stuffing yourself with cookies and candy or too much sugar no matter the source (fruit, dairy, etc)? If its the first, don't buy it. If its the second, see a doctor. You could have a serious problem.
  • LaurasClimb
    LaurasClimb Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I find that if tell myself I can't have something...that's exactly what I want and can't get it out of my head. I think the best piece of advice I can give is to give yourself permission to have some. Obviously don't go wild with it and don't use it as a reward. But if you feel yourself craving it, tell yourself you will save a few calories and have it at the end of the day. At least that what works for me. Best of luck.
  • Zerashen
    Options
    What kind of sugar are you talking about? Stuffing yourself with cookies and candy or too much sugar no matter the source (fruit, dairy, etc)? If its the first, don't buy it. If its the second, see a doctor. You could have a serious problem.

I'm talking more about processed sugar, I pretend that the sugars in fruit don't exist, and I haven't noticed an issue with that. I've noticed it after a few glasses of sweet tea that I feel pretty cruddy.

I'm a student, and we only recently got a campus place that sells fresh vegetables and such; normally I don't have time to cook and eating fruit cups from Starbucks is getting a bit boring.
  • Zerashen
    Options
    But if you feel yourself craving it, tell yourself you will save a few calories and have it at the end of the day. At least that what works for me. Best of luck.

I'll keep that in mind - thanks!
  • Zerashen
    Options
    I'm Catholic and I give up sweets for Lent every year. Sweets are my downfall but I can give them up for those 6 weeks, thanks to my Catholic guilt. I'm still trying to figure out how to keep my resolve for the rest of the year. One thing you might try is allowing yourself one day a week to indulge. It makes it easier to resist temptation if you know that it's only for a few more days. Good luck and if you figure out a trick, LET ME KNOW!:happy:

Lol, I hadn't thought of that. I will admit I'm not Catholic though, but maybe I'll pretend for Lent. ;)
  • Justine13
    Justine13 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Try making sure your body is balanced. by which i mean take your vitamins. i don't eat dairy products they hurt my stomach, but when i have my shake in the morning i use fat free soy milk ( i can't stand using water for my shake. eww). I know that i don't eat enough during the day for my body to get what it needs so i take a few different vitamins. also make sure that you are never starving yourself that is when your body craves sugar and you will end up eating too much. even if you cant cook or make meals for during the day because of school and whatnot try to keep granola bars or fibre one bars with you. they have chocolate on them so you get a bit of a treat and they are really filling.
    It's all about balance :0)
    Hope this helps
    Justine