Steel Cut Oats Recipes????

Options
shanae727
shanae727 Posts: 546 Member
Does anyone have a recipe with Steel Cut Oats that isn't SUPER fattening? Because using cream and apple butter is not an option! I have a slow cooker so I'm open to letting them cook overnight. I just don't know what to do with them and they were free so I want to make a meal out of them. Thanks!

Replies

• oharabears
    Options
    I throw 1 part oats to 3 parts water, a pinch of salt, some cinnamon and nutmeg, maybe a tsp. of vanilla in the crockpot and let it cook overnight. In the morning, scoop into a bowl, throw on some sweetener, frozen berries, nuts, and/or a splash of almond milk. Makes enough for several breakfasts!
  • stevegobris
    Options
    Just make it simple and healthy

Just put in a small pan with water, bring to a boil. Take the pan off the oven add bananas, flax seed and blueberries and strawberries.

I bought blueberries for 2.99, strawberries for 1.99 a pint and flax seed for about $2. found bananas for 39 cents a pound. Lasts about week and is about $1.50 a day for breakfast.

Put in whatever is on sale and mix and match.
  • MizAngie
    MizAngie Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I would use 6 egg whites, a half cup of oats, cinnamon, add a sweetner-if you need it, blend then make *pancakes* I eat this with a yogurt. Or this really does look gross but does taste yummy...add cottage cheese and blend cook,,,add applesauce.
  • shanae727
    Options
    Well these sound delicious! Thanks everybody! Can't wait to try these. Dried fruits, bananas and pancakes. MMmmmm you guys are AWESOME.
  • shanae727
    Options
    @oharabears-Thanks! I tried this tonight. (doubled the recipe) Cannot wait to see how it turns out in the morning! I hope my family and I like it! We've always had rolled oats never steel cut. But a family member gave them to us so I couldn't NOT take them. We'll see ;)
  • AlGalMom
    AlGalMom Posts: 4
    Options
    I love to mix in craisins and cashews. Also unsweetened coconut flakes are fabulous mix-ins. Steel cut oats do pretty well on their own, though, with just a little sweetener...they have a great texture.
  • Phera
    Phera Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Toast the oats in the oven and sprinkle into greek yogurt. If you need it a little sweet add honey or stevia. Also I make a batch of oatmeal according to directions on container on Sunday and eat it for breakfast with blueberries through the week.
  • SeaStar
    SeaStar Posts: 113
    Options
    I buy a bag of frozen fruit medley and just add water and 80 g of fruit in the bowl before microwaving it, stir and enjoy! I also like to add stevia to it, a wonderful, all natural 0 calorie sweetener
  • lunalulu2
    lunalulu2 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I make steel cut oats in the crockpot. I combine 3 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk, 3 tbsp of skippy natural peanut butter, 1 tbsp tupelo honey, 1 large banana and cinnamon in a metal mixing bowl and puree it with my immersion blender. I then add one cup of steel cut oats. I fill the crockpot with water then place the bowl with oat mixture in the water bath and cook overnight on low. I then divide this into 6 servings which are each about 200 calories. I put them in individual containers in the fridge. Then I can grab them and take them to work and heat them up in the microwave, adding a little milk to get the right texture and sprinkle with a tiny bit of brown sugar and cinnamon. Yum Yum and it keeps me full for hours.
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I just cook them in water & a dash of salt. Refridgerate in an oblong glass dish, cut sizes that I want and nuke in the a.m. Add a tiny bit of sweetened. Sometimes I will cook in the microwave with fruit.
  • shanae727
    Options
    Great recipes , I can't wait to try these. I tried making them last night, overnight. They came out gross, VERY slimmey! I think I overcooked them. :( womp womp womp
  • jrrflr
    jrrflr Posts: 109
    Options
    What You Need
    Ingredients
    1 teaspoon butter or olive oil
    1 cup steel-cut oats
    3 cups water
    3-fingered pinch salt
    1 cup milk (optional)

Tools
    2-quart saucepan

Instructions
    1. Start this the night before you want to have steel-cut oatmeal. Measure out your oats. This quantity will make about 4 servings.

2. Heat about 1 teaspoon butter or olive oil in a 2-quart saucepan set over medium heat. Add the oats and fry them for about 3 minutes, or until they start smelling toasty.

3. Pour in the water and add the salt. Stir.

4. Bring to a rolling boil.

5. Turn off the heat and cover the pan. Leave it on the stove, and go to bed!

6. The next morning, uncover the pan and bring the oatmeal back up to a simmer. If you would like thinner and creamier oatmeal, stir in a cup of milk before reheating.

When the oatmeal is warm, scoop out and enjoy!

Additional Notes:
    • Cover and refrigerate any leftovers.
    • Re-heat leftovers in just the same way: warm up on the stove, or in a bowl in the microwave.
  • BaDaSsBrUnEtTe
    BaDaSsBrUnEtTe Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I made them today for the first time

1/4 cup steel cut oats
    1 cup almond milk
    1 teaspoon raw honey
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/4-1/2 cup water at the end since they get very thick

I made them on the stovetop, took about 30 minutes
  • harebearva
    harebearva Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I love to add sugar free maple syrup, but my favorite oatmeal trick ir to get sugar free pudding mix, any flavor you like and add a teaspoon to the bowl. Adds a bit of creamy texture, sweetness and flavor,. My favorite is french vanilla.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I'm really loving steel cut oats now and eat them really often (almost every other day) because they taste so good, especially when I cook them for at least 30 minutes--I cook them with plain water, no salt nor anything else, just water. I eat them after I work-out.

I just eat them with loads of fresh blueberries and strawberries...maybe I'll try them with those two and banana. I'll throw in some Walnuts or almonds or pecans sometime too. I also find that if I cook them up before I exercise and let them get cold...YUMMY, they taste even better to me cold with the fruit and nuts than hot. Unfortunately, it's REALLY high in calories for me, I use it as a meal/snack. sometimes more than 600 calories if I have a cup full and I usually do. Eating them cold with fruit makes it taste like a pastry or yummy fattening goody to me. I don't add any oils nor fats/butter and such (besides the nuts) eat it plain w/fruit. YUM:heart:
  • LaPati
    LaPati Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    BUMP! Just bought some steel cut oats and these are great, thanks!
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I just add a tablespoon of honey and a tablespoon of almond or cashew butter for every two servings of oats. Also, I cook mine with almond milk instead of water.
  • mimieob
    mimieob Posts: 54
    Options
    got to get me some today and try these recipes...they sound awesome.....thanks
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    This is the best source in the entire world for steel cut oats recipes.

http://www.goldenspurtle.com/recipes/

Happy spurtling.

:wink: