Fish recipies??

Options
My boyfriend went grocery shopping and I told him not to come home unless he bought HEALTHY food and...he returned 2 hours later with healthy food. He bought frozen flounder, salmon, and cod and I'm not sure of a good way to cook frozen fish that tastes good and is healthy? Any suggestions?

Replies

• robyng1986
    robyng1986 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    bump!

it's lent and i've cut out meat so i would love to see what fish recipes people post!

btw, i was going to try using low fat mayo with garlic. just pasting it on the fish that is lightly seasoned. don't know how it will taste but it tastes GREAT on turkey. :laugh:
  • kaseyAnne425
    Options
    I need to start buying fresh fish.. cod is wonderful!!

I like my fish with barely anything on it. I like a lot of lemon, cracked pepper, and a TINY bit of melted butter, however ive been substituting that for olive oil. Tum!!

Fish is my new favorite, have always loved it but I'm eating it multiple times a week now. I'm cheap and buy the frozen prepared ones though!!
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    michelle bridges has an amazing recipe for a salmon salad.

I make it with rocket, red capsicum, and a sort of tartare sauce made from dill, chives, lemon and light sour cream. Fry the salmon until cooked.

I can't find the recipe... i use about 1/4 of a cup of dill and chives, a whole lemon, and maybe half a small tub of sour cream (to serve 2).

sorry i couldn't be more specific
  • forJ
    forJ Posts: 2
    Options
    Any thin fish fillet, such as swai, white fish, flounder, etc., is won derful microwaved. I know it sounds crazy, but try it, very low calorie.

Take the fillet and rinse well with cold water
    Pat dry with paper towel
    Place on microwave safe plate
    Spray lightly with any low calorie butter spray
    Season to taste (I like Adoba)
    Microwave for 3-6 minutes depending on thickness of fillet
    It should flake easily when cooked
    Enjoy

This is very easy to bring to work for a healthy lunch
  • westcoastredhead
    Options
    my favorite low cal way to make salmon is salt and pepper, then i cover it with thin slices of lemon and bake it in the oven. super easy and super yummy! i know it sounds too simple to be true but it is... although i highly recommend using fresh salmon if possible.
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I buy frozen individually wrapped Tilapia (about 4 oz) at Costco. After defrosting it like to bake it at 400 degrees for a half hour. I either season it with this lemon herb seasoning I bought or I put a little bit of cilentro dressing from Trader Joes on it before baking. It's actually what I made for dinner tonight.
  • Tshippell
    Options
    I love making fish! I make fish in a bag like they do at Red Lobster. I either use parchment paper but aluminum foil works as well. I put a small tbs a butter on the bottom of the foil then place the fish on top of it.
    Slices of lemon then on the fish add salt and pepper to taste. I then surround the fish with fresh vegetables of broccoli, zucchini, squash and carrots. If I don't have lemon I use lemon juice. Then seal up the parchment paper or aluminum foil and have it nice and sealed up.
    I then place it on a cookie sheet and bake at 450 for about 15-20 or until vegetables are tender. This really depends on the freshness of you vegetables.

Then Enjoy!
  • biddy249
    biddy249 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Fish is great, just don't ruin it by putting it in the microwave. Stay away from frozen fish if you can, buy fresh, so much better for you and it taste awesome. I prefer to grill my fish and blacken it to spice it up. Just put some salt and pepper and your favorite seasoning and girll according to instructions. To bring the flavor out when done squeeze a fresh lemon over the fish and the flavor will burst out. I try and eat fish twice a week and my favorite is Mahi Mahi from Publix, talk to the butcher about some recipes to try.
  • ruby_red_rose
    ruby_red_rose Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I marinate fish in lemon juice, crushed garlic, black pepper, salt, and a dash of soy sauce for 30 min. Then I bake it at 325F until the internal temperature is safe (according to my meat thermometer). Delish :)
  • torie079
    torie079 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    For frozen fish, (I usually buy mild white fish) I thaw is then spray a square of foil with non stick spray, place the fish down... I put garlic powder, salt pepper, chopped fresh tomatoes and onions, then a sprinkle of oregano and basil... Roll the sides of the foil so it's sorta like a pouch with a space on top for steam and bake it a 375 for about a half hour...it's so friggin good...
    I've also made salmon a similar way but with a mango salsa and lemon juice(no basil or oregano) ....it was good but salmon isn't my favorite...
  • thatgeekinit
    thatgeekinit Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Almost all commercially sold fish is previously frozen or flash frozen. When you buy it "fresh", it is usually just been defrosted by the market. Flash freezing keeps it longer and kills parasites. Tuna or swordfish grilled or broiled like a steak is awesome. Salt, pepper, olive oil, wasabi. You might want to keep it a little farther from the heating element than a steak but otherwise cooking works about the same.

Most other fish is usually best baked (unless you want to fry it). Orange juice or other citrus goes well with salmon. Add some brown sugar and a touch of bourbon for a real treat.
  • KatieCuth
    KatieCuth Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I marinate fish in lemon juice, crushed garlic, black pepper, salt, and a dash of soy sauce for 30 min. Then I bake it at 325F until the internal temperature is safe (according to my meat thermometer). Delish :)

lemon will actually cook the fish.... maybe marinate it in the others first then add the lemon before baking.
  • alexveksler
    alexveksler Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I am a low-carb freak, so bare with me. Works better for white fish, but salmon will work too.

1. Fresh filet on the baking tray.
    2. Thinly sliced onion rings
    3. Cover filet with onion
    4. Coarse ground pepper
    5. Squeeze quarter lemon juice
    6. Cover with chipotle flavored mayonnaise.
    7 Broil on high. 450 degrees for about 10-12 minutes
  • janetful
    janetful Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Any white fish: 2 filets Preheat oven to 400 degrees
    1/4 cup evoo
    3 tsp garlic
    1 tsp chili powder
    1 tsp italian seasoning
    1 tsp pepper
    1 tsp ground ginger
    small pinch red pepper flakes
    Mix evoo and all seasonings in shallow dish. Dredge fish filets both sides to coat. Line baking dish with aluminum foil and place filets on foil. Bake about 13 min or until done. Spicey and good, and so easy :smile:
  • Monkee_Magic
    Monkee_Magic Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I love thai soups, get some thai chili paste, smear the fish with it, lightly fry to seal. Whilst that is going on, brown off stir fry veg, peppers, mushrooms, carrots etc whatever you want to throw in, bit of garlic and fresh chili, once browned add 1 pt of stock, plop in the fish to finish off cooking and adjust stock level for how much fluid you wish, bring to boil then simmer for 10mins. If you want to drop in some wholewheat noodles to cook for about the last 4 mins. Job done, big bowl of goodness.:smile:
  • rbrducky
    rbrducky Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Bump. I need to add some excitement to my fish, instead of just doing my regular lemon pepper, garlic, and salt. :)
  • cbroadberry
    cbroadberry Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    bump - I hardly eat any fish so need ideas to make me eat more! :)
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Frozen flounder? That is SUCH a bloke thing to do and has given me my first hearty laugh of the day - I bet he had the proud smile of the successful hunter gatherer too. My partner was once sent shopping late afternoon on Christmas Eve to buy a small packet of smoked salmon to serve as an appetiser, returning with, instead, a huge whole raw salmon sufficient to feed about 18. Naturally there was no room at all in the fridge or the freezer...

Anyway, fish is so versatile and so healthy. Low fat cream cheese or low fat creme fraiche work really well as sauces, and season with lemon, black pepper, and any green herb. If you're not cutting out carbs altogether, you could bake it with precooked pasta, or top with some mashed potato to create a pie. If you're low carb, just season and wrap in foil to cook, it will taste wonderful served with a selection of your favourite vegetables.