Whats a good type of cardio, if you have a bad knee?

Options
Im new to this, and just wonderding if anyone has any ideas on the subject.

Replies

• ChrisGoldn
    ChrisGoldn Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Elliptical is fairly easy on the legs
  • ChelleDJM
    ChelleDJM Posts: 161
    Options
    I have pretty bad knees and that was a big motivator for me to start losing weight. I went to the doctor and she said to do water exercise if possible and if at the gym, the elliptical. I have been doing the elliptical for over a month and I think it has helped with my legs. It has definatly not made it worse.
  • RoboLikes
    RoboLikes Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Swimming is great cardio and easy on the knees
  • Moonladee
    Moonladee Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Swimming! My knee is getting better everyday! :)
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Swimming. Boxing. I'm only 21 & my knees are screwed. I do the 30 Day Shred & some other videos, generally right after doing them and the day or two after my knees are killing me, not the best idea to do any circuit training type of DVD's or anything [I'm a hypocrite, obviously...Lol]
  • eschwab855
    eschwab855 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Find a gym with a cybrex Arc Trainer I love it and my knee's are shot total junk sore most the time I get on the arc trainer and no problem pain free
  • jaymek92
    jaymek92 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    definitely swimming. maybe try rowing, too, and see if that's too rough or not. the elliptical is generally pretty easy on your knees, too, since there's pretty much no impact.
  • Believesinmagic
    Believesinmagic Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Swimming and water aerobics will allow you to get a total body work out with out the harsh impact on the joints that are typically associated with dry land activities. "Just keep swimming ...."
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I just had knee surgery, so my knee's will be good soon... hehe.

However, up until now I've been doing elliptical, walking on the treadmill, and cycling. I did a few low impact zumba workouts, but I didn't enjoy it really.

I had torn cartilage in my knee so I wasn't allowed to do anything high-impact, no stairs or inclines as exercise, and no squats and lunges.

During my recovery, I'm allowed 'gentle' walking, and once my wound has healed swimming.

Oh and I work out with a Personal Trainer once a week, and he tells me we are going to do sitting down boxing and upper body weights this week.
  • adriayellow11
    Options
    Battling ropes!
  • baycat107
    baycat107 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I have a bad knee that limits my running. I have found that swimming & biking take stress off my knee, and still give me a great cardio workout.
  • pmslovak
    pmslovak Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am lovin' the water! Water aerobics, no-touch and even walking laps have been a blessing for me and my really screwed up knees!

Cheers!
  • wittlelacey
    wittlelacey Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    punching :D
  • TanyaCurtis
    TanyaCurtis Posts: 630
    Options
    ELLIPTICAL ;D
  • FionaNiConnor
    FionaNiConnor Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I dislocated and broke my right kneecap in January of 2011. I had surgery to remove the bone fragments (well, chunks, really) in March of 2011.
    Due to the nature of the break (I broke off the ridge on the back of the patella), my patella slips out of place now and then. I wear a brace (http://www.braceshop.com/productcart/pc/Breg-Patella-Stabilizer-Knee-Brace-303p370.htm) and completely avoid the treadmill. I use the elliptical and I'm pretty happy with that. Also, I have a pool at home and am really close to the ocean so when I can, I swim. That's the lowest-impact, of course.

Good luck!
  • slimmergalpal
    slimmergalpal Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    bump
  • KeepOnMoving
    KeepOnMoving Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I have bad knees that resulted from serious running injury. During my acute pain, I found the physical therapy exercises were too easy for me, so I did this DVD called "Strong knees." It has really help me over come pain. Since then, I still have knee issues depending on the weather, depending of being sedentary for prolong periods of time, or just over doing it on exercise.

The best thing to do is warm up your muscles with some type of exercise and stretch those muscles. Tone muscles all around your knees so it supports your knee alignment. This can be done with yoga, pilates and or weight training. Do this daily to prevent knee pain.

As far as cardio burn exercises, I like Billy Blank's Tae Bo DVDs (uses your hips,) boxing, biking, swimming and just walking (prefer soft surfaces with cushioned shoes to prevent impact on the knee joints.) If your knees aren't that bad, I recommend Jackie Warner's Power Circuits DVD because explains proper form in that particular DVD. But many circuits can be hard on your knees like jumping jacks and please stay away from jump lunges - they are knee killers. I do "modified" jumping jacks and modified jumping rope.

Speaking of proper form, if you do squats or knee lunges, make sure your knee does not got past your toe. That can injury your knee.

After my treadmill dies (hope not any time soon as I spent a lot of money on it, ) I think I will buy an elliptical since I heard that is easier on your knees.
  • shmunster
    shmunster Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Ive got screws in my knee, so for ages all I did was water aerobics, then I started strengthening my whole body with pilates and walking, and now I am pretty right to do most cardio, and a little bit of jogging
  • smurfettel64
    smurfettel64 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Swimming, elliptical, and lots of Icy Hot and Advil PM if it gets too bad. :wink: I'm 47 and never been on a treadmill in my life but just started using one about 4 months ago. So IH and Advil are my new best friends some nights.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Have you seen a health professional like a physiotherapist?
    I injured my knee running last year and with the right strapping I was right back to exercising with no break. I thought I would have to rest for ages, but not in that case.
    Get some professional advice (if you haven't already) and you will have a better idea of what you need to strengthen and what is the best option for you to get some exercise but prevent further injury.