Fish? Yuck!

Options
2»

Replies

• wagon0619
    wagon0619 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I like using a Cajun seasoning and baking it. Add mango salsa for more flavor: cut small pieces of mango, red peppers, red onion, pineapple, and kiwi with a splash of lime juice.
  • nathanellsworth
    nathanellsworth Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I got this recipe off of the back of a tilapia bag so i'm sure most people have used it, but it's super simple and it doesn't have that "unique" fish taste at all.

Sprinkle a tablespoon of bread crumbs over the top of the tilapia filet and then take a tablespoon of light honey mustard dressing (i use newman's own), and brush it on top spreading around the bread crumbs. For some reason it works way better to put the bread crumbs on first although it didn't seem right to me at first either. Bake in the oven at 425F for 12-13 minutes and you're golden.

I typically serve with spinach, vienna bread, and mashed sweet potatoes (just boil the potatoes... you don't have to do anything else to them).

Hope this helps.
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I love salmon...it's really easy to make. I take a fillet (wild caught tastes best to me) from Trader Joe's or you can buy it fresh.

Salt and pepper to season and then wrap it in aluminum foil and bake (about 325 or 350). It depends on your oven how long you bake, but maybe 20 minutes. The fish stays moist -- you need to check that it's cooked all the way through.

Serve with brown rice and asparagus and you have a really filling, low calorie meal.

I also like flounder but tilapia tastes bland to me. And, if you think you might like sea scallops they're very good and cook quickly on the stove.
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    My fave new fish is at Target in the frozen foods....................Swai fillets in a red pepper sauce. Absolutely UNFISHY tasting, really nummy sauce, and 100 calories per serving!

When making fish on my own, I like to spice it up with pepper, garlic and onion powder, and a bit of butter (don't need much). Wrap in parchment paper, and NUKE it for 4 or 5 mins, depending on thickness. You can do this with any type of fish, but I've been enjoying ocean perch and mahi mahi fillets.
  • crystal84rose
    crystal84rose Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I make a Greek-Style Baked fish. It's pretty good and very simple. I used walleye but I'm sure tilapia or halibut would work well too. I don't know how "Greek" it is but some of the ingrediants are greek so that's what I call it. Depending where you live the ingredients may be expensive.

I mix together Feta Cheese, Kalamata Olives, Roasted Red Pepper, red onion, lemon juice oregano and bread crumbs and pour the mixture on top of the fish fillets in a baking dish. I drizzled some olive oil on top and put it in the oven around 425 for 20 minutes or until the fish flakes apart.

Yummo!

P.S. We catch our own fish and I've found it's hard to screw up fresh walleye!
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Ya know that dirty fishy taste? It's because its not fresh. I've had *some* frozen fish that had a tolerable level of that taste but not much. For the most part I'd say buy fresh or buy something else...