Ate a Whole Domino Pizza tonight -- Only 575 Calories!

Options
2»

Replies

• gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    1380 calories for a large Brookly Crust, full cheese full sauce pizza. Seems low to me but I don't see how it would be in their best interest to deceive anyone. Cool. I may order one this weekend and eat the whole thing.
  • jamesfit99
    Options
    For those that have more calories and sodium to spare:

A small, thin crust with full cheese and full sauce with selected toppings would be around 800 calories and 1400mg/sodium.

A half cheese, full sauce version of the above would be around 670 calories and 980mg of sodium. That's what I plan on getting next time, given that I can keep my sodium down to 500mg during the day which isn't really that hard knowing I've got a pizza coming that night!
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Eh kinda taking the diet thing the wrong way. A deficit at the end of the week is typically just called a good week and maybe you have a chocolate bar or something, not fill in the calories with food that is unquestionably unhealthy. If that was indeed all the calories you consumed, give yourself a pat on the back, all total that's more than half the average user's daily allowance for calories in one sitting.
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    Eh kinda taking the diet thing the wrong way. A deficit at the end of the week is typically just called a good week and maybe you have a chocolate bar or something, not fill in the calories with food that is unquestionably unhealthy. If that was indeed all the calories you consumed, give yourself a pat on the back, all total that's more than half the average user's daily allowance for calories in one sitting.

Since when are the average user's calories less than 1150 per day? I eat 500 to 600 calorie meals almost every day.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options

I highly doubt the average user's daily allowance is 1150 seeing as 1200 is the bare minimum.

I also wouldn't call it "unquestionably unhealthy.' It's a vegetable topped pizza. Tomato sauce is high in potassium and lycopene, cheese has protein and calcium. I'd say it's a pretty balanced larger meal. Personally, I'd throw some chicken or sausage on it for more protein.
  • jamesfit99
    Options

My daily caloric requirement for my goal of losing 1/2 pound a week is around 2200 calories a day plus 40 minutes of aerobic exercise. Given that, I don't think 575 calories is unreasonable for dinner. As to the nutrition, I can think of a lot worse for what I consider to be a very once in a while treat. Keep in mind that I'm limiting my sodium to under 1500 mg/day and I still had sodium to spare after eating the pizza.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

Why is pizza unquestionably unhealthy outside of the typically high sodium? It's dough, smashed tomatoes, cheese and whatever for toppings (grilled chicken is a good choice). I eat pizza at least once a week and I've lost 56lbs so far. Nothing wrong with pizza at all.
  • 1bigtabbycat
    1bigtabbycat Posts: 23 Member
    Options

Pizza would be a better option than a candy bar --- wouldn't it?
  • bebreli
    bebreli Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I eat half of a boboli thin crust pizza for dinner often!
    Pizza = YUMMMY!!!
    Top it with some part skim mozza and lots of fresh veggies. Delicious!!!
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    What's great about the Domino site is that they have a comprehensive nutritional PDF that lists all the components of their pies (crust, sauce, cheese, toppings) along with their nutritional values. With it, you can build a pie that just might fit your diet.

Certainly not an everyday thing, but since I had 800 calories and 800mg of sodium to spare, it was a nice change from the usual fare on my low sodium (under 1500mg/day) diet. Add a Corona extra and I still squeaked under my daily quota of calories!

Wow, great post and thanks for sharing... it never would have occurred to me to check out their website and build my own pizza
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    lol yeah. 575 cals for small pizza? thats like 3 poptarts.

lol!

The other day I was picking up some frozen pizza for my son and his sitter, and I noticed that a whole Kashi pizzas had the same calories as 1/3 of the "normal" brand I got for my son (I forget what it was). It was yummy and filling and I actually couldn't eat the whole thing in one sitting. And, I didn't feel bad about eating it, because it was no more calories than a regular meal.
  • karisma81
    karisma81 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Lately I've been having my quick and easy pizza -

a mini pita
    topped with tomato sauce and a sprinkle of oregano,
    2 slices of havarti
    chicken

Pop this in the toaster oven for 2 minutes.

I don't feel guilty about the individual ingredients so why should I feel guilty that when I combine them they taste like pizza :-)
  • leomentlines
    leomentlines Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this! Maybe I'll give domino's a try for pizza after easter :)
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    *edited* becuase I saw that you specifically requested a quarter of the cheese and a quarter of the sauce.
  • jamesfit99
    Options
    Domino's uses different names on it's nutritional PDF and the order form, which can be confusing when trying to figure out nutritional values. Here's the translation:

New Pizza Sauce (on nutritional pdf) = Robust Inspired Tomato Sauce (online order form)

Garlic Parm (on nutritional pdf) = White Sauce (online order form)
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I made a wonderful low cal pizza just last night and it was wonderful. Wheat crust, low cal tomato sauce with my own spices and lots of veggies. A single serving of cheese on the whole thing and no pepperoni made it a huge hit for everyone. And great for me at about 150 calories per slice (cutting the pizza into 6)
  • jamesfit99
    Options
    I made a wonderful low cal pizza just last night and it was wonderful. Wheat crust, low cal tomato sauce with my own spices and lots of veggies. A single serving of cheese on the whole thing and no pepperoni made it a huge hit for everyone. And great for me at about 150 calories per slice (cutting the pizza into 6)

Do you deliver?
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I find Domino's Pizza's to be very bland. I like there chicken strips, but the pizza's are pretty much tasteless. I enjoy Goodfellas and Ristorante pizzas, so much taste and a hell of a lot cheaper. I haven't had a pizza in a good while though.

I will hopefully be making a pizza soon, but will be using Warburton's Square Wraps. The wraps are a reasonable size. They are 159kcal each and I will only be having one lol. I will be using Dolmio Low Fat Bolognese Sauce, I would use Passata, but they're both made by tomatoes so there really isn't much difference except for that fact that Dolmio's sauce has less Sugar, a bit more Protein and a bit more Fiber. I will add Mushrooms, Peppers, Thinly sliced Quorn Sausage or Chicken Breast, maybe some Spinach and Grated Light Mature Cheddar Cheese.

Should be a quick, healthy meal with plenty of nutrition more different food groups. Got my carbs, with low sugar, high protein from the chicken and all the goodness from the veggies.