LovesGG Posts: 241 Member
For the mass builders... :smile:
How sore is too sore?
How sore is not sore enough?

Replies

• snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    I just figure soreness = good. I've had trouble walking before, looking like a hump back gimp from sore legs and butt. I've had such sore abs it hurt to laugh or open a protein bottle... really don't know how you can differentiate much between too much soreness and too little!
  • Rachiepie6
    Rachiepie6 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    If it incapacitates(sp?) you or doesn't recover within a few days, you've probably overdone it..
    If I do a hard workout and am not sore... I consider it a good thing haha

Note: not a mass builder... but just my experiences..
  • tmoyer1209
    tmoyer1209 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    LOL! I think that just the right amount of sore after leg day includes holding onto the handicapped rails in the stalls to get myself down and back up again after. Not sore enough to me is no soreness to mild soreness that I easily ignore. And I love when it hurts to laugh because of my abs.
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    If it hurts immediately..........its bad
    If it hurts the day after...........its good
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Tuesday is leg day. Wednesday is hurts to sit down day. lol

Muscle soreness or DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) is a good thing. I have had it so bad that it hurt to walk or sit down for days. You should be able to tell the difference between this and any real muscle pulls or joints pain. If you feel those you should stop right away and wait until you heal. Warning signs would be stabbing pain or pain that is in only one area (like left leg only). Or pain that you feel while you are working out. Not the burning muscle but sharp pain.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    The more often you work out the less pain you usually feel but some people think this might not be as good as it sounds. Muscle soreness is from the tearing of muscle fibers. If you wait for them to fully heal before you work that muscles group again you will get the soreness again. If you work them sooner they might not have had the chance to fully heal and actually grow muscle.

I dont really know if this is correct but I try to work different muscle group each day and give them at least four days until I hit that group again.
  • Cr357
    Cr357 Posts: 238
    Options
    Too sore is when you've lost range of motion and it effects your next workout. And there is no such thing as not sore enough because soreness is not indicative of muscular hypertrophy.
  • juliedee6
    juliedee6 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Are you stretching properly and holding the stretch for 30 seconds? When you stretch warm muscles after workout, you make them more efficient the next time you work out. Some people like to stretch before they workout, but do so after, too.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I would think that it is less how sore or not sore one is. (I understand that the process of muscle building requires a micro tear of muscle for a regeneration to occur)... That being said, if you are getting results... keep doing what you are doing. On weights, if you can barely lift on the 10th to 12th rep, it is good... If you can easily continue to pump the weight to 30 -40 reps, you need to definitely bump it up.

That being said, the quality of the pain I think is more indicative of a problem. If the pain is IMMEDIATE and feels like a tear, a pull or involves a joint, it is probably best that you stop what you are doing and get it checked out. I remember on a prior weight reduction effort, I had progressed to a 5.25 mile jog... One night I decided to bump it up to 7 miles... As I was rounding the last quarter mile, suddenly I felt it in my knees... I KNEW I had overdone it. I did not have to ask. ...
  • jenronan1
    jenronan1 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    For the mass builders... :smile:
    How sore is too sore?
    How sore is not sore enough?

This goes for anyone - if you are too sore to walk or drink from a cup - you overdid it. You should FEEL your workout, and your workout should not take you down. Overtraining has some very negative consequences and I discourage all my clients from this practice. Really, what good is your next day workout if you cannot walk up or down a flight of stairs?