Eating after 8pm...?

Options
FedtRN
FedtRN Posts: 5 Member
I am an RN and work 12 hour shifts. I don't get home until 8pm or later and I'm wondering if its bad if I eat when I get home. My food choices aren't crazy. Tonight I had 1/2 cup cottage cheese and a banana. Its close to impossible to sneak away at a decent time for a quick supper while at work. I just don't want to be ruining my diet if I am eating at this time of day. Any suggestions?

Replies

• zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options
    Eat whenever you want. Its a myth that eating after a certain time causes fat gain.
  • rlv2680
    rlv2680 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    It's perfectly ok to eat a little something when you get home. It's better to eat late than not eat at all. It will not ruin your diet:)
  • trixirn
    trixirn Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    In the same boat, but you got to eat sometime. I am losing weight eating after 8 pm.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Makes no difference to weight loss what time you eat.

The only thing negative eating late may do is disturb your sleep a little with indigestion etc.
  • Shelby814
    Shelby814 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I am a NP & SANE. I am on call 24hr/day 7 days/week. I eat every 3 hours up until about 1hr before I go to bed. I do not eat fruit or bread-carbs after about 5pm per recommendations from my personal trainer. It has definitely worked for me. Fat free cottage cheese is a great choice, but personally, I would ditch the banana. :) If you're going to eat the fruit, an apple would be a better choice (higher fiber). :)
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Due to my schedule, I often eat dinner at 10:00 p.m. or later. My weight loss has gone great :-)
    Make good choices, don't worry about time of day.
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Eating after 8pm is fine. I eat at 8pm or later regularly. Just don't go to bed 10 minutes later. Give yourself an hour or two minimum to digest and you'll be fine.
  • cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    EAT!
    Skipping a meal based on the clock is far worse for you than eating late.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I ought to add that because my wife is a comedian and often has gigs that run past midnight, a few times a month I find myself eating dinner at 1 or 2am and weight loss is progressing just fine.
  • leomentlines
    leomentlines Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I always eat dinner after coming from the gym, which is usually at 9-10 at night. Hasn't stunted my weight loss at all. As long as you're meeting your macros and staying at/near your calorie goal, you'll be fine :)
  • kvissy
    kvissy Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I was told by a nutritionist that you should eat every 3-4 hours and try to hold off at least 1-2 hours before bed. If you must eat THAT late try to keep it higher in protein/fat and very low carb. If you're in bed at 1am,. totally find to eat at 11. Going 5 hours with no nourishment and then sleeping on it isn't the greatest.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    I was told by a nutritionist that you should eat every 3-4 hours and try to hold off at least 1-2 hours before bed. If you must eat THAT late try to keep it higher in protein/fat and very low carb. If you're in bed at 1am,. totally find to eat at 11. Going 5 hours with no nourishment and then sleeping on it isn't the greatest.

Agreed...
  • zafferFL
    Options

Why?
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I think its a personal thing - we each need to find a routine that works to get in a healthy amount of calories over the course of the day, it doesn't matter what the clock says.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

total nonsense. hope you didnt have to pay for that bogus poop.
  • kvissy
    Options

Was covered by insurance ha.

Anyway--I do agree w/ what was said because by following that along w/ adequate exercise I was able to lose weight steadily and in a healthy manner. Obviously some things work for some people and some dont but I don't find it to be bogus at all.

Carry on!
  • zafferFL
    Options

Anyway--I do agree w/ what was said because by following that along w/ adequate exercise I was able to lose weight steadily and in a healthy manner. Obviously some things work for some people and some dont but I don't find it to be bogus at all.

Carry on!

My money is on the exercise being the trick.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

Carry on!

well good that only the insurance company got ripped. ha. those "old" ideas have been totally debunked. If your choice is working for you thats good but not necessary.
  • kvissy
    Options

Carry on!

My money is on the exercise being the trick.

I wish I can agree w/ you...unfortunately food intake is a big big part of weight loss. I workout like a machine and if my food is a mess I don't lose a pound. I maintain at best.

If you're blessed w/ exercise being your only solution, I envy you. A Lot. and if that were the case I would probably be a nothing by now ha.
  • zafferFL
    Options
    Of course not, I'm guessing you changed caloric intake and not just eating times? Couple that with your exercise and you have the answer to your weightloss, not the fact that you don't eat just before bed time.