I made salads in tupperware for the week-will they survive?

Options
gustergirl
gustergirl Posts: 534 Member
I bought a container of romaine, added some spinach and then cut up veggies to go on top (cucumbers/mushrooms/celery/red onion/orange pepper) I was happy because I got four salads out of it so Im good for the week but now I am worried-will they last that long? Should I eat them up as soon as I can? Thanks!!

Replies

• gustergirl
    gustergirl Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I bought a container of romaine, added some spinach and then cut up veggies to go on top (cucumbers/mushrooms/celery/red onion/orange pepper) I was happy because I got four salads out of it so Im good for the week but now I am worried-will they last that long? Should I eat them up as soon as I can? Thanks!!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    salads are good for you!!
    good choice
    keep up the good work:drinker:
  • Rottiemama
    Rottiemama Posts: 66
    Options
    I would keep the wetter veggies out of the lettuce, it will break it down faster....keep them in a separate tupperware and add them right before eating!! :tongue:
  • tig3rang3l
    tig3rang3l Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    You can always put a slightly damp paper towel in... that's how I keep my herbs fresh, I think it would work for lettuce as well.
  • sheofthesea
    sheofthesea Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    The key is to keep the lettuce dry...make sure it is dry when it goes in, and keep a paper towel in the container to absorb any moisture that comes out of the lettuce.

Here's a great article on this: http://genxfinance.com/2009/01/22/how-to-prepare-a-salad-to-last-all-week-for-just-a-few-dollars/

I should go make some myself. Yum!
  • tennetubbie
    tennetubbie Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I find that lettuce won't keep for a week---maybe youcan do 3 days at a time--the lettuce turns a bit brown if you go longer. You can try those bags that get rid of the gases taht vegetables make taht hasten ripening.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't cut up the romaine and keep them as leaves they should last fine. Keep everything separate.
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    I've tried this before.
    It seems that if I can keep less air in, less lettuce turns brown. Which goes completely against the theory of those air-flow bags. I try a zip bag & squeeze as much air out as possible.
    :ohwell:
    Maybe completely wrong, but my opinion.
    :frown:
    Worth every cent.
  • sbennett23
    sbennett23 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I did this just last week. I mixed field greens with spinach and bell peppers in a huge container. In separate tuppeware containers I cut up tomatoes and onions. Then when I got my lunch together I used snack bags for the individual cheese, tomatoes and onions. I put it all together at lunch and it was great. The salad lasted all week. But first of all I bought packages that were good till a few days after the date I'd planned to use them up. This helped me stick to my calories last week! I'm gonna do it again!