Running success stories!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• sammielealea
    sammielealea Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    After I had my first child I was trying to get rid of my baby weight, and my sister in law asked me if I wanted to do a 5k with her, so I thought, "sure, that could help the lbs move". I followed a training schedule (not very religiously), and found out I was pregnant with my second. I thought of backing out, but changed my mind, thinking "you've been training anyhow, just finish what you've started", and now, I am soo glad I did. When I did my first 5k, I was 12 weeks pregnant, and it was great! The sense of accomplishment was undescribable, and after I crossed the finish line, I knew I wanted to do it again. I did my second 5k when I was 19 weeks (and very noticabley!) pregnant, and at about 4km's, someone said something to me that changed my life. I had slowed for a walk, and a lady came up behind me and started walking with me and said, "I've been trying to keep up with you this entire race; I keep telling myself, if that pregnant lady can do it, so can you. You are my inspiration"! I couldn't believe it! Having someone call me their inspiration totally inspired me. We finished the race together, and I finished that race as "a runner". After I had my baby and got the ok from my doctor, I started training again, and I did 2 5k races, and when my daughter was 10 months old, I ran my first half marathon and finished in 2 hours, 9 mins. I'm training for another half, and have another one scheduled for this summer. I love running and setting new goals for myself; it's changed my life.
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Did everyone who started run on flat or hills? I do much better if it's fairly flat. I feel like I'm whimping out though.

Don't feel like a wimp, almost everybody does better on the flats. lol I certainly started on the flats since running was hard enough already. But since I'm primarily training for trail races and the ones I prefer to do have a lot of elevation gain and loss that means hills and lots of them.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    After I had my first child I was trying to get rid of my baby weight, and my sister in law asked me if I wanted to do a 5k with her, so I thought, "sure, that could help the lbs move". I followed a training schedule (not very religiously), and found out I was pregnant with my second. I thought of backing out, but changed my mind, thinking "you've been training anyhow, just finish what you've started", and now, I am soo glad I did. When I did my first 5k, I was 12 weeks pregnant, and it was great! The sense of accomplishment was undescribable, and after I crossed the finish line, I knew I wanted to do it again. I did my second 5k when I was 19 weeks (and very noticabley!) pregnant, and at about 4km's, someone said something to me that changed my life. I had slowed for a walk, and a lady came up behind me and started walking with me and said, "I've been trying to keep up with you this entire race; I keep telling myself, if that pregnant lady can do it, so can you. You are my inspiration"! I couldn't believe it! Having someone call me their inspiration totally inspired me. We finished the race together, and I finished that race as "a runner". After I had my baby and got the ok from my doctor, I started training again, and I did 2 5k races, and when my daughter was 10 months old, I ran my first half marathon and finished in 2 hours, 9 mins. I'm training for another half, and have another one scheduled for this summer. I love running and setting new goals for myself; it's changed my life.

That is so cool. You must have been beaming for days! :flowerforyou:
  • sammielealea
    sammielealea Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I was . . . and I still am! Having someone say those words were such a pivital moment of my life. I'm not sure how much of an influence I had on that other person, but their influence on me was life changing. When I first started running, I was just doing it because I didn't want to let my sister-in-law down . . . making her go to the race by herself. Talking to this woman, I realized that if, when I am setting and achieving new goals for myself, I can help someone else realize that they can do this too, it's all worth it.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Started around 218lb on the 24th of January this year, running on the treadmill with C25K.
    It HURT, a LOT.
    Now I'm about to start week 7, I am down 8lb, and lots of inches.
    It really hurt so much at first. I have been strength training in my legs and core especially to help that, and about week 4 or 5 everything just "clicked" and it became much MUCH easier. My breathing is happening naturally, my legs are behaving.
    I love what I can do now. 20 minutes run with only a 3 minute walk?! 7 weeks ago I would have laughed you out of town.

After I finish the C25K I'm going to do it over, outside. I want to run a 5k in under 30 minutes, so lots and lots more training to go!
  • blindcode
    Options
    I've started on flat because my ankles and tendons were not used to the pressure. Now I can incline without all the pain - I guess it depends on the person.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I started C25K weighing in the 190s (I think I was around 195 ish at the time, possibly a bit more) sometime in March of this year. I finished the program in mid-July and ran a 5K on July 28. I currently weigh 173 and am doing the C210K program (started in week 9 as a continuation of C25K). At first, I could barely run for one minute. This morning, I ran 3 15 minute segments of running separated by 1 minute of walking. I am slow, but I can do it.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I've always been a runner but over the years I gradually gained weight. I was running about 3 miles a day most days but my BMI was approaching "obese" levels. I was 6' 1" and weighed 230 pounds. That was about 3 years ago. I was 43. I decided I wanted to run a marathon and starting to run with a local running group. Their "easy" runs were 6 miles and they kicked my butt every time I ran with them. But gradually, I started to improve, and the pounds started to come off.

I was down to around 205 when I completed my first half-marathon, with 6 months to train for my first marathon, Big Sur, scheduled for May of 2011. I was getting faster and faster. I weighed 195 when I ran Big Sur, finishing in 3 hours and 37 minutes.

Then I realized I was only 7 minutes away from qualifying for the Boston Marathon! I ran another marathon a month later but crashed and burned, finishing in over 4 hours.

I rededicated myself to training and losing weight. I was 185 when I ran the Richmond Marathon in the fall of 2011, and I finished in 3:23, qualifying for Boston!

I ran Boston this past April, and although the events that day were tragic, I couldn't help but be uplifted by the spirit of the people of Boston. I've now run 9 marathons and looking forward to continuing to run them. I weigh about 180 and I'm looking to lose 5 more pounds. Now I'm one of the fastest runners in my running group, and I love mentoring new runners as they begin their own journeys!
  • bauhausfrau
    bauhausfrau Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I started running again a month ago. I thought since I did it so much when I was younger I'd pick it up again easily. NO! I was wheezing and out of breath in under 5 minutes at a jogging pace. Ouch! My ego! Well, I decided to keep at it & not miss a day, no matter what (heck if I can't find 5 minutes in a day, right? lol) Well, 4 weeks later I can go an hour without stopping. I'm still only jogging at 5mph, but it's definitely improvement & I'm not giving up.