Kellogg's study

Options

Replies

• twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Kellogg's owns Kashi & Bear Naked........stick with the real sugar in fruits & vegetables.

Names to allow people to say they are eating healthy...and then wonder why they can't loose weight cause they are eating "healthy" - cause the box says so...
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Sugar on its own is not bad for you. Sugar does not cause any of those problems stated in the first post. Being overweight causes those problems. And eating too many calories causes you to be overweight. The amount of sugar is honestly irrelevant.

The sooner you stop looking for one specific food to blame for your health problems, the sooner your health will improve.
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    I'm not gonna trust anything that Kellogg's has to say about nutrition.

What a joke.

Do you trust the nutritional information on the Raisin Bran side panel or is that a joke too?

Nope, I don't. Nutritional information on processed foods is very loosely regulated and thus often misleading or just plain incorrect.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Sugar on its own is not bad for you. Sugar does not cause any of those problems stated in the first post. Being overweight causes those problems. And eating too many calories causes you to be overweight. The amount of sugar is honestly irrelevant.

The sooner you stop looking for one specific food to blame for your health problems, the sooner your health will improve.

How dare you be so reasonable!? If I want to vilify an entire food group or ingredient, I will, lack of evidence be damned!

sigh.
  • EMagineBeingEMazing
    Options

YEP!!! :)
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options

yes eating to many calories can cause you to be overweight...but too much FRUCTOSE sugar (which also increases carb count) can cause fat - specifially belly fat.

And yes everything in moderation - if you have a bowl of cereal a day and eat clean the rest of the time it isn't a big deal...but for someone who's diet is full of processed foods - even most "diet" foods contain a small amount of High FRUCTOSE sugar...

The thing here is reading and learning about the different types of sugars and how they react within your body - there are three main types - Glucose, Fructose and Sucrose - Sucrose is made up of roughly 1/2 Fructose and 1/2 Glucose...

So if you are saying the sugar in a bowl of cereal is the same as the sugar in an apple - that can be very wrong depending on the TYPE of Fructose corn syrup they use - some have 50% fructose to 50% glucose - where others have most of the sugars coming from Fructose

The information out there is misleading in a way - one backlash was against High fructose Corn Syrup being bad for you as COMPARED to regular sugar - when you compare the most used formuation of High Fructose Corn Syrup to regular sugar (which is Sucrose) they are not wrong is saying it is about the same - meaning the ratios of glucose, fructose are about the same...

And to say just having HFCS or regular sugar is bad for you isn't wrong...

But the thing is - since it is in allllll sorts of things the average person consumes WAY to much sugar (in any of the forms) which can increase calories and carbs which can lead to weight gain and the development of body fat (especially belly fat)

so one is right - what is the difference in eating an apple vs a ding dong if they both have the same amount of sugar (besides all the other chemicals that are in a ding dong that I won't delve into) - if that is the bulk of your sugar for the day then not so much a big deal...but you have some cereal in the morning and then some 100 calorie bag of Loorna Doones (cause hey they are only 100 calories) and then for lunch you have a turkey sandwich and a granola bar....etc...each of those things has sugars in them - from the cereal to the bread - so you are stacking suger up little by little by little so you are consuming so much sugar in any given day...
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Sugar isn't the enemy, our excessive behavior is the problem....there are no witches....well that may not be true but sugar isn't bad for you unless you're diabetic.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    This is the only news I could find that seems to relate to a sugar study by Kellogg.
    Kellogg's slammed for saying sugar is not related to obesity or ill-health
    By Sean Poulter, Consumer Affairs Editor

Kellogg's has been censured by the [British] advertising watchdog after it falsely claimed that sugar is not related to obesity or ill-health.

The firm had attempted to counter criticism from health groups over the high levels of sugar in its cereals by publishing information on its Coco Pops website that was supposed to tell children the truth about the ingredient.

But the Advertising Standards Authority has now ruled that this health information was misleading.

Kellogg’s said an independent dietician had gathered medical evidence from a World Health Organisation committee.

The Coco Pops website claimed: ‘A panel of world health experts recently reviewed all the scientific evidence and concluded that a high sugar intake is not related to obesity, or the development of diseases such as heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure or cancer.

'Nor was it connected to behavioural problems, such as hyperactivity, in children.’

But in fact a number of scientific reviews have found a relationship between sugar intake and obesity, the ASA said. It therefore ruled that Kellogg’s claim that there was no link at all was ‘misleading’, as was its claim there was no link with diabetes. . . .

More here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2111294/Kelloggs-slammed-saying-sugar-related-obesity-ill-health.html?ito=feeds-newsxml
  • Cr357
    Cr357 Posts: 238
    Options
    I am a bit suspicious of Kellogg's commissioning the study. That's like Phillip Morris saying nicotine is not all that bad... But I'll wait to see the results. :wink:
    This ^^^^ always be weary of who does the study or if they have a conflict of interest (such as a patent).
  • Lane1012
    Lane1012 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    82% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Closer to 94.53%.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    It's ALL the processed crap fed to kids. Not sugar (although I treat sugar as a poison but over long term that is exactly what it is - much more than just "empty calories".

Cheerios turn to sugar in the body - just like table sugar. and the amount of sugar in 100% fruit juice - it's still sugar. It's basically the crap "they" call food these days that is hurting the kids.

You can take a box of people food off a shelf, add some "by-products" and you can put it back on the shelf and call it pet food. There really isn't much difference from the kibble and chow we feed our pets and the kibble and chow we feed our kids these days. Sad, really.

Oh and Corn Flakes has a higher Glycemic Index than any of the sugars out there - most of your cereals do. That means it hits your blood stream faster than even table sugar and means it will spike your blood sugar high and do it very quickly.
  • Michelle650
    Michelle650 Posts: 218
    Options
    I would definitely disagree with this study! How very convenient that "kelloggs" are commissioning this study, ad there products are jam packed with sugars and artificial sweetener! They are just trying to justify what they are doing! It's a very biased study if you ask me!
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Meh... Twinkie Diet...
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I don't watch my sugar AT ALL and I've been effectively losing weight for almost a year. To the best of my knowledge, sugar does not cause me any harmful side effects. However, if I could not produce insulin normally, I would probably take a completely different standpoint. It AIN'T the sugar that made us fat!!!
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options

Apparently, according to them, it doesn't lead to obesity, heart disease, diabetes, behavioural problems in kids, nothing. It's fine to eat.

Sugar won't directly lead to obesity unless there is a caloric surplus that accompanies it. The rest of these diseases are chronic health problems that typically take years to develop. That doesn't mean that damage isn't being done when children consume to much sugar. It simply sets them up for a lifetime of poor eating habits that will eventually cause the aforementioned conditions.

You can't trust research that is funded by someone with a vested interest in the outcome. They are typically only going to fund studies that have inherent bias that favors their position.
  • LavaDoll
    LavaDoll Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Kelloggs freaks me out - check out their origin on WIKIpedia.

Also they are very fond of BHT, and I am not.

I prefer my breakfast cereals not to be sprayed with carcinogens, thanks.

As of last week, when I woke up and finally looked into this BHT stuff, Kelloggs is outta my kitchen.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Kelloggs freaks me out - check out their origin on WIKIpedia.

Also they are very fond of BHT, and I am not.

I prefer my breakfast cereals not to be sprayed with carcinogens, thanks.

As of last week, when I woke up and finally looked into this BHT stuff, Kelloggs is outta my kitchen.

Buahahaha! I learned about their origins in my American History class... never will think about corn flakes the same way ever again.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I am a bit suspicious of Kellogg's commissioning the study. That's like Phillip Morris saying nicotine is not all that bad... But I'll wait to see the results. :wink:
    smoking_01.jpg
  • Cr357
    Cr357 Posts: 238
    Options
    Buahahaha! I learned about their origins in my American History class... never will think about corn flakes the same way ever again.
    Please share???