Fast Food...Yuck!

Options
I hadn't eaten anything from fast food restaurants for several weeks...until tonight. Ended up eating 1/2 of a poor excuse for a Rheuben sandwich. Didn't have too many options, given a family member had an emergency surgery, and the hospital cafeteria was closed. And the "fries"? All I could taste was the greasy fat.

Ugh is putting it mildly.

If there's a next time, I will spend an extra 5 minutes packing something decent to take along. Once you start eating "right"...well; anything less, just tastes "wrong".

Here's a challenge to fast foodaholics. Go one month without. You will wonder why you ever thought it tasted good. It doesn't.

Replies

• laurabini
    laurabini Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    For me fast food always tasted like crap haha :) but you're right: now it tastes "wrong" too!!
    I really can't eat fast food without stomachache afterwards :| so I never eat it!
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options

Here's a challenge to fast foodaholics. Go one month without. You will wonder why you ever thought it tasted good. It doesn't.

I wish I felt this way! I have lost 35 pounds and eat healthy. I go maybe 6 weeks or so between fast food visits but when I do indulge, I enjoy every bite!:laugh:
  • Survivor1997
    Survivor1997 Posts: 59 Member
    Options

I wish I felt this way! I have lost 35 pounds and eat healthy. I go maybe 6 weeks or so between fast food visits but when I do indulge, I enjoy every bite!:laugh:

Well, I must confess...my big weakness is Mexican food. Put my big backside in a Qdoba's, and I'm likely to cause some major damage. That will be my 20 pounds lost reward. :bigsmile:
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Why? If I can keep it in my calories and eat it, I will.

Fast food is not the devil. If you don't want to eat it, don't! Restricting any food will not help people be successful.
  • mmck1006
    mmck1006 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Agreed, Lozze.
  • ChaleGirl
    ChaleGirl Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I have to say, I had Mc Donald's fries the other day and enjoyed every last mouthful :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    I hadn't eaten anything from fast food restaurants for several weeks...until tonight. Ended up eating 1/2 of a poor excuse for a Rheuben sandwich. Didn't have too many options, given a family member had an emergency surgery, and the hospital cafeteria was closed. And the "fries"? All I could taste was the greasy fat.

Ugh is putting it mildly.

If there's a next time, I will spend an extra 5 minutes packing something decent to take along. Once you start eating "right"...well; anything less, just tastes "wrong".

Subjective. I eat junk food a couple of times a week because I like the taste of salty/fat. I just include it in my total calories for the day.
    Eating right has more to do with making sure that you get in your daily essentials, balance you calories, and ENJOYING the foods you actual like in moderation so that you don't go into a feeding frenzy if you happen to totally abstain from it and cave in.
    The majority of my clients keep weight off that they lost this way. The clients who went on total restriction ended up gain a lot of their weight back.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • 000WhiteRose000
    000WhiteRose000 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I can't eat fast food. I hate it now. It's weird how your body adjusts and rejected things that is not good for it. But it's weird how it craves it when it's use to it.
    It's the same with sugar. I use to crave chocolate and now I crave it a lot less. I could never eat as much sugar like I use to. If I attemt it, I totally crash and feel like crap.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    A lot of fast food places are seriously disgusting. Even eating out now isn't very appetizing. And I'm not saying this because after about 3 weeks of being on MFP working out and eating right have all of a sudden changed my habits. Most fast food places have always tasted disgusting (except Qdoba/Chipotle. Those people are awesome!). Now on days when I want to have a "spike" day, I just cook something at home thats kind of like a delicacy and enjoy my own cooking. It helps though that I'm a decent cook :)
  • alharbour
    alharbour Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Since I have been eating healthier the last 2 months, I cannot stand to put fast food in my mouth. And the couple times I have eaten it, I have severe stomach cramps afterwards.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Tastes just as good to me as it always did, probably moreso as i dont have it very often, and when i do, i know its a treat, and high cal, so damn im going to make the most of them cals and savour every bite now! :D
  • KimbersNewLife
    KimbersNewLife Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    What I can not get over is the serving sizes. Now that I have been cutting back when I go out especially for mexican I am SHOCKED at the amount of food they give you! I usually eat about a third what I used to. I think part of it is the overwhelming differance in taste. To go from eating clean to having a plate of gooey cheese just overwhelms my taste buds.
    As for fast foood it's the same a small fry unsed to look tiny to me and now I can't eat any more than that. And as for big macs wow I can not believe I used to eat a big mac and a fry good grief. Don't get me wrong I still love my fast food but I eat less and make wiser decisions now. Luckliy these days there are lots of choices.
  • jared767
    jared767 Posts: 76
    Options
    I go to fast food restaurants. But when I do, I use nutritionix calculator which helps me check the nutrition facts behind every meal. I can't get away eating out with my family and friends. i guess it's more of the fun than the foods.
  • 1981simm
    1981simm Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I had McDonald's last night and it was so gross! How did I ever eat so much of it... seriously it used to be an every day thing
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I had a KFC for the first time in months today. I usually get a Fully Loaded with a side of baked beans, go large with a diet Pepsi. I could easily handle it and still eat Dinner on an evening.

This time round we shared a Variety Bucket or something. I had 1 boneless chicken fillets, 3/4 of the popcorn chicken, a small fries and 3 pieces of chicken on the bone. I felt full and didn't feel I needed to eat any more. I did have a protein shake about an hour after though just to increase my protein as I really should of had it a lot earlier.

Anyway, I felt guilty and KFC is or was my favorite fast food restaurant, but I don't think I will eat one for many months. I used to get excited and always wanted a KFC and would have one because I just felt, let's say, mentally weak for them. At this present time I could of gone without if I wasn't so hungry. My Nan usually buys cakes, sweets and other pastries for us, but I didn't feel the urge to ask her to get me anything and she knew I didn't want anything so I went without. Even Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream, I didn't feel any urge's.

If anyone is weak for fast food just try and make healthier alternatives, or just make the food yourself even if it isn't that fast in the making process, you will less guilty about having it and it won't make you feel sluggish throughout the day. Just check out my diary for today and see the pizza I made for Dinner, it tastes amazing, just grill it for about 10 minutes and it's great. Also quite low in calories, carbs and fat compared to the amount of protein you can get out of it.
  • hdlb123
    hdlb123 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Aside from Wendys spicy chicken burgers fast food didn't appeal to me much to begin with, and the 500 calories for a spicy chicken is not worth it to me. I hate McDonalds, their meat especially disgusts me. I haven't eaten a chicken nugget in almost 10 years.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    1/2 of a poor excuse for a Rheuben sandwich.
    Sounds like you just went to a place that has crappy food.
  • Stacyanne324
    Stacyanne324 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I don't know ...I've gone a month before and it still always tastes heavenly to me when I have it again. McDonalds is my absolute favorite. I don't eat it that often now because of the calories but every now l still let myself enjoy.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    A lot of fast food places are seriously disgusting. Even eating out now isn't very appetizing. And I'm not saying this because after about 3 weeks of being on MFP working out and eating right have all of a sudden changed my habits. Most fast food places have always tasted disgusting (except Qdoba/Chipotle. Those people are awesome!). Now on days when I want to have a "spike" day, I just cook something at home thats kind of like a delicacy and enjoy my own cooking. It helps though that I'm a decent cook :)
    While you find it disgusting, what's your thought of people who eat there? Are they disgusting people because they do?

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    If anyone is weak for fast food just try and make healthier alternatives, or just make the food yourself even if it isn't that fast in the making process, you will less guilty about having it and it won't make you feel sluggish throughout the day. Just check out my diary for today and see the pizza I made for Dinner, it tastes amazing, just grill it for about 10 minutes and it's great. Also quite low in calories, carbs and fat compared to the amount of protein you can get out of it.

Why am I weak? Because I've chosen to eat something I enjoy?

I'm glad you're in you're 'Im so strong and don't need that nasty fiid' phase. Everyone goes through it. Don't eat junk food for the rest of your life if that's what you want.

But people who eat fast food and fit in in their cals and macros are NOT weak.