Ditched the scale

Options
Lozze
Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
Before six weeks ago I didn't own a scale and only weighed in on e a week. Then I got a great deal (or so I thought) and bought a body fat scale for $40.

I never got my body fat. Never worked. The scale would give three different readings three times in a row. I also started weighing more often and was reeaking out! That number was getting me down.

So yesterday I took it back. Much happier! I envy the people who can weigh every day without having abreakdien but I can't!

Replies

• snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every day, but it usually doesn't get to me. I pay attention to details like how much sodium will affect me, or soreness. Its something you have to step back from sometimes and not rely on it. :) Smart for you to do something about it though!
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every day, but it usually doesn't get to me. I pay attention to details like how much sodium will affect me, or soreness. Its something you have to step back from sometimes and not rely on it. :) Smart for you to do something about it though!

I'm just the same. I like daily weighing for exactly the reasons you describe.

But, it's good to know what works for you, and if it was worrying you, then absolutely, chuck it.
  • kimmie790
    kimmie790 Posts: 26
    Options
    I ditched my scales too. I was getting really down about it. I've now decided to go back to the measuring tape once a week / every 10 days. I'm a lot happier now. Its easy to get addicted to the scales.
  • Dumbell_Diva
    Dumbell_Diva Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I was weighing in too often and my weight naturally fluctuates by 5lb a day, I could sometimes be 5lb lighter in the morning and by evening I would have gained that 5lb lost back again!!! Im happy to measure myself instead and just use my weight as a guideline only. Good luck!
  • Jessi40
    Jessi40 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I probably should ditch my scales too! I weigh in and if I lost I'm excited and gung ho for another several days... but if it's been a few days and it's the same or gone up, I get a little sad, and I want to fall into old habits and eat my emotions. I'm really trying to use it as a learning tool and stay calm and know I'm doing what I need to do to lose and doing things I can stick to for the rest of my life... which is working for me for now bc most times I have lost but I'm worried about when I don't.

I'm also really wanting to practice not eating my emotions...

all a process....

I find the same thing about my measurements which I had never taken until recently... but if they stay the same after 2 weeks, I'm a little sad...
  • Raina27
    Raina27 Posts: 133
    Options
    I told my husband to hide my scale because I was a SCALE ADDICT...not everyday but more like every other minute lol! I wanted to weigh myself this monday but he must have hid it pretty good because I couldnt find it!! So we agreed that I will weigh myself on April 1st...talk about ANTSY!!! But also kinda relieved!! :)
  • Weighinginwithmy02
    Weighinginwithmy02 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    It's actually something that the center that I go to for my weight issues suggests. I weighed in blind (meaning they saw my numbers but I didn't) for over 6 weeks in a row and it was so eye opening to see how much the numbers did effect my mood (and my binges/strict dieting). It allowed me to focus on just making positive changes for ME rather than for the number. If I was having a "I feel fat day" they would be quick to tell me "well you may be feeling SOMETHING but it's not fat", hinting that I had lost weight rather than gained. It made me focus on my emotional eating and what my triggers were as well.

Good for you for realizing that something that make work for the herd doesn't work for you and breaking away!
  • CraftyPayne
    Options
    I only weigh once a week , The scales are in my bedroom but I think I may have good will power !!! I would be utterly depressed otherwise !
  • obeserat
    obeserat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day , at the moment the scale is a motivation, I am a big blob of fat so
    when I'm watching what I eat the scale shows it . I just started watching my weight again again , lost 3.5kg first day
    1.5kg 2nd day , I understand a lot of that will be fluid , but that might mean my legs won't
    swell from excess fluid
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    obsereat don't put yourself down! Yes, you're big but you're not just what you look like. You're making the right changes by being here. Positivity is king.

I'm hoping to do that the closer I get to goal but currently it's doing my head in.
  • Weighinginwithmy02
    Weighinginwithmy02 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    AGREED!
    obsereat don't put yourself down! Yes, you're big but you're not just what you look like. You're making the right changes by being here. Positivity is king.
  • MeAfter30
    MeAfter30 Posts: 129
    Options
    I just decided this morning to ditch my scale too! (Well not really I just tucked it far back into my closet where it will not be so tempting as right on the bathroom floor) I will only weigh myself once a month now. I get too caught up on the number.
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking about ditching mine too...out an effin 10 story building window into moving traffic :explode:
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I completely understand your position OP. I weigh myself almost everyday but have an 'official' weigh in day on Monday. I'm not gonna like, I LOVE seeing a number on my weight loss journey but to be perfectly honest, I donot kill myself over not losing weight anymore because now I measure myself in terms of how much energy I have and how long I can workout and similar stuff. My pants are loser and I feel great now!
  • Skeels
    Skeels Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I have always used my Mirror and how my clothes are fitting instead of a scale.......Since lots of us are gaining muscle, we do not always see the results from the scale.
  • itsall4younow
    Options
    I'm going to have to consider ditching my scale too after reading this.

I too let the scale dictate my mood, feelings, and binges.

I'm sure I could convince my boyfriend to find a good hinding spot in the house. :tongue:
  • b1791
    b1791 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Just this morning I did my usual once a week weight check and I'm, you guessed it, still 150lbs. Though I feel stronger and healthier I have been the same weight since last August. I've decided to give up on the weight loss thing and just concentrate on keeping up with exercising and healthy food choices. I used to be a really happy person but since starting to try and lose weight I've gotten really down on myself. I'm hiding this scale right now! LOL
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Weighing in everyday usually just results in being bummed out when it goes up or doesn't change. I still do it but have learned to take it with a grain of salt, its quickly becoming a worthless number, I look better in the mirror everyday and the scale doesn't change, so I think after this challenge ends, I'm just going to smash it
  • Wyoruby
    Wyoruby Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I was weighing everyday and would get annoyed with the number on the scale if it went up. I found that if the number went up I would be in a bad mood all day even though I knew I was doing everything right. So I've decided that I'm just going to weigh in once a week and leave it at that. Although I'm thinking I might not weigh in this next Monday since Aunt Flow should be showing up and my weight always goes up when she is in town!!! SO I just focus on what I'm eating mainly trying to keep my fat grams down and also try to get high protein also. Carbs I don't pay to much attention to since all of mine are coming from healthy fruits and veggies and not processed carbs!!