Wanting to start Insanity workout, so many questions

Options
I am currently doing 30DS. I just moved up to lvl 2 after 10 days at lvl 1. It's kicking my but but some motivating words from my previous post are keeping me going.

I am planning for what I will do after 30DS. I would like to try Insanity but after reading the reviews I am a little scared off. It sounds like it is only for athletes. Any non-athletes have success with Insanity? How long are the workouts? I have about an hour in the morning to get the work out and shower before my little one wakes up.

I would also appreciate other suggestions for work outs. I hear a lot about 30DS, P90X, and Insanity on here. I decided to skip p90x because I don't have any place to put a pull-up bar in my apartment. I hate running on a treadmill (but will hopefully start running outside again in the spring), can't do a gym, no one to watch my 8-month-old and I don't want to go when my husband gets home and the gym is packed and I spend more time waiting for equipment than using it. I also don't watch a lot of TV so those TV work outs aren't really for me.

Replies

• alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I dont do the pull ups for p90x. I've always used resistance bands, which you can attach in your doorways and then you would needs some dumbells. Thats about it. If you are aiming to tone up more so than lose weight I would suggest p90x but if you have weight to lose then go with insanity
  • PamJ413
    PamJ413 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I did insanity and the longest I lasted was 3 weeks. It is pretty intense but it is doable by people that aren't in all that great of shape. It depends on your motiviation and drive if you will complete the 2 months..also the workouts last anywhere from 38-60 mins. I just started Jillian Michaels Body Revolution..I am only on day two (day three when I get home) but I have to say I really enjoy it. I know its gonna get tougher but I'm willing to commit to the 90 days..it is a bit expensive but I think it is worth it..and I have read on here that others believe it is worth it too..and so far the workouts are around 30 mins long. Good luck!
  • avafrisbee
    avafrisbee Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I might see if there is a trial insanity or check for a trial workout on you tube or something. I'll also check out Body Revolution - Thanks for the suggestion.

I wanted to clarify something in my original post. What I meant by "those TV workouts" was "every time you see a car commercial do 25 jumping jacks and every time you see a gum commercial do 10 push-ups" These type of work outs associated with movies also do not work because watching a movie at home is currently a date night when we can't get a sitter.
  • heatherdhart
    Options
    I just started Insanity after doing two rounds of P90X. It is very intense and a lot of cardio. I also took about a two week break, so that could be why it is so hard. I know I am going to like it. Just make sure to get a HRM and know your limits!!! i just burned over 400 calories in 40 mins!!!
  • kmorris246
    kmorris246 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I finished the Insanity program back some time ago, and I had a love/hate relationship with it. You have to be super committed because you feel like you're gonna die the first couple weeks. But each day becomes a bit easier, and I promise you that the rewards are worth the pain! Just put your mind to it, and stick with it. Take each workout one day at a time, do what you can, and follow the meal plan to make sure you're getting the energy you need to keep up with the workouts. If you stick with it the full 9 weeks, you WILL see results.
  • ninjalaura5
    Options
    I think insanity is one of the best workouts by far! Its really hard.. but you just take it at your own pace and Shaun T just makes you want to go back for more =P
    Honestly though.. after it you feel great and proud, and you defo notice a big difference after just 2 weeks!
  • Juliet_622
    Juliet_622 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    This was a question I had too! I'm going to be finishing up 30DS shortly, and was debating Jillian's Ripped In 30, P90X or Insanity. I'm looking to lose weight first though, and then tone a bit more. So based on everyone's suggestions, I think I'll try Insanity first!

Is there some strength component to Insanity? Or is it all cardio? And do you need any special equipment?
  • Cmh1211
    Cmh1211 Posts: 104
    Options
    i always have to jump in on these topics lol.

i love insanity 24lbs down, 2 weeks to go and a hell of a lot more fit. i am by no means an "athlete" but i do feel as iff i have an athlete trapped inside of me cuz i hit it hard and burn between 600-900 calories a workout. i think u should do it. u wont regret ur choice. it isnt easy at all but if it were easy it wouldnt be called insanity.

my advice, if there is any part of the workout u cant do, substitute it for something similar. DONT JUST STAND THERE! that is why i think there are a few amount of ppl that have had a bad experience with it and give up. it is really really hard but worth a shot.
  • ninjalaura5
    Options
    thats exactly what i do.. there is some parts like the push up, squat thrusts, jump up, back down, they do it so fast time i do one push up there up and back down again lol so i just change it to sit ups or something i can do, works well, DIG DEEP! =D
  • Pnkrckblnde
    Options
    I have been doing insanity myself and one thing that they push is KNOW YOUR LIMITS. Not even the trainer in the video can make it through. Everyone behind him at some point takes breaks. I take a TON of breaks. Beachbody programs like this are GREAT as long as you don't over do it. I take a TON of breaks and I've still lost almost 2 pants sizes in less than the 60 days. I still have 3 weeks left! It is well worth it and you wont regret it!

Christine Wormuth
    Team Beachbody Coach
    message me for more info I offer free coaching!
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I don't suppose Insanity is on YouTube is it? I'd love to do it, but it costs around £100 to buy the DVDs here in the UK. :noway:
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I personal love insanity and I have done three rounds of it. It is a tough workout if you are just starting out to working out, but since you have been working out for a while you will be able to do the moves. Just go at your own pace, take breaks as needed, and be prepared for a large appetite (I found I was always eating while I was doing this workout) and lots of water.

Good luck!
  • Angie80281
    Angie80281 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    i always have to jump in on these topics lol.

i love insanity 24lbs down, 2 weeks to go and a hell of a lot more fit. i am by no means an "athlete" but i do feel as iff i have an athlete trapped inside of me cuz i hit it hard and burn between 600-900 calories a workout. i think u should do it. u wont regret ur choice. it isnt easy at all but if it were easy it wouldnt be called insanity.

my advice, if there is any part of the workout u cant do, substitute it for something similar. DONT JUST STAND THERE! that is why i think there are a few amount of ppl that have had a bad experience with it and give up. it is really really hard but worth a shot.

This is great advice! If you watch the Insanity videos, you'll notice that even the cast can't keep up with the whole workout. They take breaks as they need to, and these are "elite" people. I started Insanity with minimal exercise experience and very poor cardio capacity. It kicked my butt, but it was soooooo worth it.

Adapt the workouts as you need to. If the jumping is bothering your knees, do something else, even if it's just running in place. Can't handle the crazystyles of pushups? Do regular ones instead. Need a break from it all? Walk around the room while you get some water. You've got to work at your own pace for Insanity, but as long as you're doing something, you'll see results.

Not sure if anyone answered the question about equipment, but there is none required for Insanity. You may want a mat depending on where you'll be working out, but no weights, bands, or anything else required. You can do it! Feel free to add me if you want.