Supplements?

Options
Hi all,

I was wondering if there's some kind of supplement that I ought to be taking. I am currently using Sea Kelp tablets as my brother tells me they're a great weight loss aid, and Cod Liver Oil tablets, hoping that it'll sort my dodgy joints out (I'm only 23 with hips like an 80 year old!) I've also heard that it's good for the skin as I have quite a few severe skin conditions and allergies.

Has anyone had experiences with Sea Kelp or Cod Liver Oil?

I was always anaemic as a child and I occasionally had to take pure iron medicine (thick black stuff that tasted awful!) I don't think I'm anaemic at the moment but would it hurt to take a few extra supplements and what would happen if I took some I didn't need?

Replies

• ravihira1892
    ravihira1892 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    coconut oil is good for skin, hair and nails also some people say it aids with weight loss taken with apple cider vinegar
  • gtfcnat
    gtfcnat Posts: 199
    Options
    I'm taking Sea Kelp supplements (was told the same as you) and also heard it's good for your hair, and Sanatogen A-Z multivitamins, I get anaemic every now & then so take one a day x
  • LisamarieBond14
    LisamarieBond14 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    That's interesting, thanks. Do you take coconut oil in tablet form or liquid? And would I have to stop taking the other things?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Well, you learn something new every day.......

I hadn't heard of Cod Liver Oil being good for your joints (I just remember my mother forcing spoonfuls of that vile concoction on us in winter - even the name is disgusting) but here's an article from BBC news.....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/1817974.stm

You may also want to look into exercises for your hips and glutes, there are lots of great videos on youtube, Dave Scott (one of the world's greatest triathletes has several in the active.com channel)

As to the anemia ........see your doctor and have your blood tested. You may find this article interesting.....

http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/hemochromatosis/
  • LisamarieBond14
    LisamarieBond14 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Ive been taking cod liver oil in capsule form for a couple of months and haven't noticed a change. I don't know how long it should take. I've resigned myself to the fact that I might need a hip replacement by the time I hit 35! It's been an issue since I was around 6 years old, my mum used to just tell me it was "growing pains" but I stopped growing years ago! Her other favourite was "you're just tired", which I blame for my love of naps!

In fairness, it doesn't cause major problems. I have to stop to straighten my legs out after 10 minutes or so on a bike ride or when I'm sitting down for long periods...

I have struggles with my knees too but I attribute that to my weight as I didn't have as much of a problem back when my profile pic was taken. I have my Grandad's knees - he had to retire from firefighting due to a cartilage problem, which my mum then inherited!

With regards to the anaemia, it didn't show up in my last blood test in November but surely taking a multivitamin and iron tablet every day wouldn't hurt anything? You can't overdose on vitamins and iron, can you?