Help i have lost my motivation

Options
I just cant get back on track with regards to exercise and eating healthy. My marriage broke up 6 weeks ago. The first few weeks I couldnt eat at all and lost 7lbs in just under 2 wks. Now i have went the opposite way and am just comfort eating. I still cant eat proper meals so I am snacking all day long on chocolate, crisps, and generally rubbish. I have gained the 7lbs again. Problem is I just cant get myself motivated. Every morning I wake up and say that Im going to start today and get back to my exercise but by lunch time I have went of the rails again. I just dont seem to enjoy the exercise at the minute either. If i keepthis up I am gonna gain a lot of weight again. Wot can I do to get my mojo back.

Replies

• drmattski
    drmattski Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about the break-up. Been there - not easy. Don't be too hard on yourself - it is super stressful time! Find something you love to do (I started playing volleyball for the social aspect). Eventually I got back into the solo exercise stuff as well, but because I wanted to, not because I had to. Also, try to find workout buddies - people to keep you honest and drag you kicking and screaming to the gym (that is exercise in itself ;-)

My mom used to tell me "This too shall pass" and i never realized how sage that advice was until I was older. Give your self some time, do positive, fun things for yourself that take you away from food. You'll get there. You can also get support from your MFP friends :-)

Matt
  • jameslucy
    jameslucy Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thanks 4 the advice.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I agree with Matt above, when he says about finding something to do. Especially if that is some form of exercise it can really help.

In one aspect it takes your mind off of it, but in another, it might help to regulate your eating.

Since you find yourself struggling to eat properly, if you do some gym work, or go running or whatever it happens to be, you'll obviously find that you are extremely hungry afterwards so maybe this could help to get you eating properly again.
  • Usbornegal
    Usbornegal Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Don't be too hard on yourself - you've gone into survival mode (understandably) and your world is off balance. There is such a huge range of emotions to deal with that it is overwhelming. When I am most stressed, a good hard workout on the treadmill really helps reduce stress and deal with negative emotions. If there is anyway you can talk yourself into getting to the gym or taking a long walk around the block daily you might start feeling better.

Hope you will start to feel better soon.
  • ice99706
    ice99706 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel, I've been there. I was told by my elders not to dwell in it it's not good for you. It's okay to feel bad and even wallow in it for just a little while(and I mean a little while), just don't let it consume you. These things are traumatic, and there is a time of grieving. But recognize it, know it for what it is; then stand up, dust off, and take a step forward. Sooner or later you'll be walking, then running toward your future.

YOU CAN MAKE IT THROUGH THIS.

Best wishes,
    Karen