Replies

• sma83
    sma83 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lynnk1971
    lynnk1971 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'd say the sooner the better ... get your gait checked and recommended shoes to avoid injury! I started running last March and ran my 1st half marathon in September and the shoes really make the difference.

Got to admit though, I started like you on the treadmill because it was cold ... then ventured to the outside, and it's completely different. I only run outside now because I find treadmill work boring!

Good Luck!
    x
  • loseramy68
    loseramy68 Posts: 102
    Options
    I agree the soon the better. I run inside and out and I love my Asics. Now there are different types of running shoes depending on whether your feet turn in or out. Asics makes both. They may be a little pricey but it is money well spent. Happy shopping!

^^^^^^^^^^
    Yes! What she said. I have a pair for outside and a pair for the gym.
  • catanzca
    catanzca Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I run a lot and I have bought shoes on my own over the years and have been fitted. Personally, I couldn't tell a difference. However, I never have any problems running in any kind of gym shoe. If you have foot problems or find certain shoes to be uncomfortable then I would suggest getting fitted. Otherwise, I think it is just trial and error until you find what works best for you. Over the years I tried several different brands and styles from Asics to Nike to Addidas to New Balance and they all seemed pretty much the same to me, comfortable and OK to run in. The last pair that I bought were Saucony...SUPER light weight, it doesn't even feel like I'm wearing shoes and they are AMAZING, I will never buy another brand of running shoes again. So, just try different kinds out until you find what works for you.. it's a journey!! And by the way, as long as you are running.. you ARE a runner. Good luck!! :)
  • angbunny22
    Options
    I agree, best thing i ever did was get fit for my running shoes. You'll feel great in them and no wondering if you have the right shoe! Good Luck!
  • wmichgrad
    wmichgrad Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The ONLY thing cross trainers are good for is weight training. Always buy shoes specific to the activity that you are participating in.
  • minnesota_deere
    minnesota_deere Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I hesitate to call myself a runner at all, but I aspire to be one. I'm getting ready to start Week 3 of the C25K and I am very motivated to stick with it. I *want* to be a runner. I've been reading a lot lately and it seems that everyone who runs is recommending that new runners get fitted at a running store for good running shoes to suit their running style and gait. Which brings me to...... since I am barely a runner at all and still developing a style and gait, should I wait a few more weeks before thinking about shoes?

I'm running inside on a treadmill right now (its cold here and I'd like to be actually able to run a bit before moving outside so I don't make a fool of myself ;)). I'm sure that running on the treadmill with its cushioning is easier than running on pavement but also I don't want to hurt myself. The shoes I'm wearing are high quality trainers and fit very well, but they are not "running shoes".

Runners, what do you think? Can I wait a few weeks before buying shoes? Or is that a set up for trouble?
    barefoot seems to be a new trend, try that.
  • minnesota_deere
    Options
    If you go buy a running magazine you can get lots of info on them. My old boss was an avid runner when I began running myself. She introduced me to Asics Gel Kayano, pretty expensive but definitely the most comfortable pair of running shoes I have ever tried!
    i have 2 pairs of these, switch off every other day.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I would recommend getting them sooner than later. And get fitted at a running store. It will make a world of difference. I am training for a 5k in a few months and I had been using just some shoes that I already had. I was having some knee and lower back pain when I ran.
    I got fitted and found out that I am an underpronator (my feet hit more on the outside when I walk/run). I got a pair of Brooks running shoes to correct the problem and I feel great now! It took a few runs for my legs to get used to the correction, but now I'm good to go :)
  • sarahbagley
    sarahbagley Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Saucony. My one and only running shoe :)
  • blantonjm1
    blantonjm1 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Runner's World shoe finder will help you find the type of shoe for your foot type.
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I got fitted before I started running. They are the most comfortable & longest lasting shoes I have ever purchased.
  • minnesota_deere
    Options
    Yes, take your old shoes to the store as well. Asics always seems like the most popular brand and they don't have to be expensive. Mine cost me £40 ($60) and are money well spent. Tell the people at the store you have a budget of say £40 - £60 and they'll get the best shoes for the price. I would also recommend good running socks. They will save you from blisters. Again, these don't have to be expensive.
    i went the cheap route once, bought a pair of asics at kohls, destroyed the shoes and my feet in 60 days, went and purchase 2 pairs of gel Kayano in 2010 for about $135 per pair and still have them however i am due for new ones. never again will i buy cheap running shoes.
  • pfoutz
    pfoutz Posts: 1
    Options
    Get analyzed and fitted. it was free at my local shop and well worth the time. they recommended us a few shoes that would be a good fit. then went online and found them much cheaper. don't rush too much, buy the right shoe.
  • tonyacoursey
    tonyacoursey Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Get fitted now. They will ask the purpose of the shoe and you can tell them. They will fit you with the correct shoe so as to make it more beneficial. I did and I am just starting to walk 2-4 miles every day. Best decision I have made besides jining MFP.
  • fourluvbugs
    fourluvbugs Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the helpful advice and insight everyone! There's a running shoe store not too far away, so I'll make a trip soon and see what the folks there recommend.

(giggling to myself because catanzca said that I AM a runner. Tee hee!)
  • chub_b_gone
    chub_b_gone Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I just bought new running shoes and its best to be fitted..if its a good store they wont try selling you the most expensive shoe but the one that will work best for you..AND most will let you try them for a few weeks and if you dont like them you can take them back and get a different pair or your money back..either way its a win win for you..
  • therapyruns
    therapyruns Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Buy them now. You'll want to start breaking them in as soon as possible. If you get new sneakers then hit the pavement, lots of new things will be happening at once and you may injure something. I get new running kicks every three months (every 4-500 miles) and usually count the days until my next pair because I get so excited. I am at 300 with my current pair and will buy a new pair at the end of the month.

As far as brands go, everyone is completely different. Mizuno, Asics, Saucony, Nike, etc. Got to a specialty store if you can, expect to spend at least $100 (if you're serious) and then try on a bunch of pairs. I usually jog laps around the store to see what feels the best - and don't be timid, you have to find something that is comfortable.

Remember to buy what you feel is best for YOU, not necessarily the latest greatest thing or what someone at the store is trying to sell you.

Good luck!
  • LeanerBeef
    LeanerBeef Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I hardly consider myself a runner, just started training for my first ever 5k but I HIGHLY recommend getting yourself properly fitted at a good running/fitness type store. I just bought my 3rd pair of sneakers in the past month because the first 2 did not fit – kinda embarrassing and not exactly a good use of $$$. First pair were too big, didn’t try them on because I previously had a pair of the same brand, same size – apparently my feet lost weight too. Second pair had absolutely zero arch support – think they were made for someone with flat feet. Total waste.

Finally went to a running store got properly fitted, dropped a $100 on a pair of Saucony’s and love them. I can definitely tell a difference. (I only used them 2x’s so far so fingers crossed, lol)

Worst part of my story is that all 3 are not up to my fashion requirements so I need to buy a 4th pair just so I can look fly……. :wink:
  • angella_zumba
    Options
    YES! go get the now! don' t wait! I would break them in before actually running outside. I always get mine 1 size bigger too.. or at least 1/2 size bigger.. Asics is good and bought really expensive Brooks.. .but Asics.. just as good!

Good luck!