Goal = BMR ... ???

Options
Hi,

My current weight is 192 pounds and my objective is to lose 32 pounds ...

Should I set my goal (daily calories) equal to my BMR, and excercice for the intake of calories above my goal ?

Thanks for your insight

Replies

• StarryEyed500
    StarryEyed500 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    If you set your goal as your BMR, make sure you eat back your exercise calories. You could probably set your goal a bit higher than BMR and still lose.
  • Carim007
    Carim007 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your comment ...

It is a heck of a discipline to track AND write down all the calories intakes ...

Hopefully a simple voice assistant will soon become available ...
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    It gets easier as you use it more - the foods you eat all the time are there for you.
    And, put your info into the goals page and MFP will work out your daily allowance for you - let the computer do the work.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your comment ...

It is a heck of a discipline to track AND write down all the calories intakes ...

Just remember as your weight goes off, recalc the BMR every 5 lbs, and reset the daily goal.

You could actually nail the goal to the BMR exactly, because the calorie estimates in exercise will provide a safety buffer when you feed the workout.

And suggest you stick with your plan. If you told MFP too aggresive of a weight loss, it will happily make your daily goal well under your BMR.

You have the much safer idea.
  • Carim007
    Carim007 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Just remember as your weight goes off, recalc the BMR every 5 lbs, and reset the daily goall

Thanks a lot for the advice ... I did not know the BMR was a dynamic variable !!!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot for the advice ... I did not know the BMR was a dynamic variable !!!

Well, since weight is part of the calc, that is the main thing.

Your basal metabolism supports all the cells in your body - more cells, higher, less cells, lower.

And you can also effect it greatly.
    Don't give your BMR the energy (calories) it needs to do it's work, it must slow down to what is being provided.

So there are many that are quite happy (until they stall in weight loss) to lower their metabolism by underfeeding it. And at goal weight, it is a choice that can be done.
    But to get to healthy weight, doing so with full burning BMR is better than suppressed.

Sadly, the reverse is not true, overfeeding it doesn't cause it to speed up above it's setpoint.