I miss baking!

Options
LisamarieBond14
LisamarieBond14 Posts: 133 Member
Hi everyone!

I'm an avid baker and I love it with a passion! I grew up baking with my Grandma and my Mum and I love to make cakes, cupcakes, cheesecakes, pies, everything!

Since I started trying to eat better, I've been to scared to bake anything incase I eat too much of what I make. I'm not usually a fan of substituting ingredients for lower fat versions (butter, sugar, etc) but I just miss baking so if anyone just wants to share any baking recipes, I'd be truly grateful!

Also, I take a lot of photos, so if I ever figure out how to upload pics, I'll reply with a photo of your finished recipe when I've made it!!

Replies

• amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean about being scared to bake! I had quite a hiatus from making treats when I was starting my weight loss journey. Now when I do get the urge, I try to bake things on weeknights so I can share them with coworkers the next day, ( to get it out of the house!).

I'm all for having some little indulgences even though I watch calories, so I just make sure to add whatever I bake in as a recipe here on MFP so I know what I'm in for calorie wise. I also am not a fan of substituting ingredients, so I just make the recipes as is and moderate how much I eat.
  • KristiBenvenuto
    KristiBenvenuto Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Actually try this site : http://www.skinnytaste.com They have AMAZING recipes and ALL are not bad for you!!! Im telling you I live off her stuff!! :) I went to school for culinary arts so I understand! Baking is my FAVORITE thing to do!
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    I miss baking too.
    Almost every time I go ahead and bake something I over eat on it. That would happen if I bake healthier things too unless they taste bad.
    A good trick is to bake for someone.
    Bake a nice big batch of say your favorite cookies. Package them up nice and pretty and give them away. All except for that one or 2 that you save so you can have a taste without eating it all.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    When I was in Weight Watchers I used to make pumkin & devils food cake and/or muffins. They are SINFULLY delicious and the only calories are the ones in the cake mix. Here's what you do:

1 box of devil's food cake mix
    1 can of pumpkin puree
    ~1/4 water (adjust as necessary for moisture)

Dump mixture into a 9x13 pan or muffin tins and bake per the cake directions. Top with Cool Whip free and enjoy. SO good. I make muffins and freeze them. Then just take one out and microwave it for a couple of seconds before eating.
  • AmyM713
    AmyM713 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Actually try this site : http://www.skinnytaste.com They have AMAZING recipes and ALL are not bad for you!!! Im telling you I live off her stuff!! :) I went to school for culinary arts so I understand! Baking is my FAVORITE thing to do!

I agree this website has delicious healthy recipes of all kinds!
  • eviltwinkie
    eviltwinkie Posts: 153
    Options
    Skinnytaste is a great place to start - cooking light recipies are also nice. I don't mind lightening up a recipie, but I find that some of the 'diet' ones alter the intrinsic taste/texture too much. Can be a fine line, though.

Cooking light recipies can be a good go-to for examples, as they're not uber tweaked and don't use much odd or all fat free ingrediants. If you use the WW website, someone on the boards use to post a place to get bunches of those recipies en masse. Otherwise, I've picked up hardbound older 'yearly editions' of cooking light used online for about $6 ea including shipping. If it's more than a few years old, price drops dramatically.

And don't fear the baking. I try and plan ahead of time somewhere to specifically TAKE the goodies. Work, neighbors, a friends, etc. Make sure they go there quickly.

It's fun to bake them, keep a few, then make other people happy by sharing. Win win all around. :)