How can I make these savory cakes healthier?

sheepysaccount
sheepysaccount Posts: 608 Member
Okay, I had an idea for a small cake (I needed an excuse to use my new cake form).
The smallish cakes (about 15-20g or two bites) come to 42 calories (Douglas Adams would be proud)
How can I make it healthier so I can have more of them?

I do not want to substitute my cheese, but if you have a better alternative for the other ingedients, be my guest :)

1 cup wheat flour (white) :(
2 medium eggs
1/2 cup shredded cheese (at a total of 152 calories)
150 ml or 3.5% fat milk ( i don't like 1.5% much)
dash of salt

Replies

• teachparents
    teachparents Posts: 225 Member
    low fat cheese and liquid egg substitute?
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Don't Panic! :bigsmile:

The cheese is probabaly the main component, and you say you dont want to change that or the milk, so there isn't a lot else! Is 42 calories really too high? It doesn't seem like very much.

Having said that - mustard brings out the flavour of cheese, so you might be able to reduce the quantity and add a pinch of mustard powder.
  • sheepysaccount
    i'll check if i can get mustard powder. thank you!

maybe if i found something better for the flour? that's around 450 calories. any ideas?
  • kmacgera
    kmacgera Posts: 137 Member
    Use whole wheat flour. I wonder if we can find sprouted grain flour somewhere? Add bran and/or wheat germ.
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    You could make it with 1 egg instead of 2.

It really depends on the cakes consistency. I've made box cakes with an egg less than required and noone really noticed the difference. But if you are like my granny and I you can tell a slight consistency difference.

But really 42 calories isn't that much.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    1 cup wheat flour (white) :(
    2 medium eggs
    1/2 cup shredded cheese (at a total of 152 calories)
    150 ml or 3.5% fat milk ( i don't like 1.5% much)
    dash of salt

whole wheat flour, not white
    3 egg whites instead of 2 whole eggs
    2% shredded cheese instead of full fat
    I use fat free milk in just about everything
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Bacon! Bacon makes everything better!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Replace at least half of the flour with whole grain flour, replace the full fat cheese with 2% milk cheese. I'd also replace the milk with fat free milk and add a little canola oil, but I don't think that is going to make a huge different.
  • sheepysaccount
    i'll try that. great suggestions, everyone!

also: hiker, you win +1 internetz :D
  • Mompanda4
    Mompanda4 Posts: 869 Member
    Could you share the whole recipe? Thank you.
  • sheepysaccount
    That is the whole recipe, actually. You're welcome :)

I ahve a microwavable form where you put in the dough, time it for two minutes and you get fresh cakes :)
    I use this one: http://www.jlist.com/product/HRI364
  • Hello, I think after reading many of these posts, I have come to the conclusion that some people are just looking at calories as to lose weight vs. the long term of just eating healthy and keeping the weight off! I try to eat better rather than watch calories. Yes my calorie intake is part of the plan but I prefer to eat healthier.
    There are many suggestion from replies that you should take in consideration.
    One mention trying to get sprouted grains. Excellent Suggestion! Sprouted grains are much better for you. Because of the process they also tend to have more vitamins and minerals and are less likely to turn into sugar by your body. Also another mentioned using 3 egg white rather than two whole eggs. This case would be true if you have high cholesterol. Otherwise, egg yolks are an excellent source of Choline. Choline also aids the brain function of adults by maintaining the structure of brain cell membranes, and is a key component of the neuro-transmitter that helps relay messages from the brain through nerves to the muscles. Don't be foolish and leave this very important food out of your diet. As for the cheese, well cheese is one of my favorites although high in fat, I love it! You can try the skim or low fat ones. All in all, if you love these cakes I suggest you keep them the same and just eat two. Look at the bright side you will enjoy them more if you don't over indulge yourself in one thing.
  • For kmacgera

I loved your reply. Most people are not that familiar with sprouted grains.....
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,423 Member
    You could replace half the flour with rolled oats - it will change the texture a bit but I think it would still be good.
    Or try soy flour or chickpea (besan I think?) flour or ground nuts or seeds like linseed for half the flour.
    And I would try adding some grated zuccini too - it doesn't change the flavour much but it keeps things moist and adds a bit of extra nutrition.
    Or, if you like then as they are, enjoy them with a salad on the side :)
  • sheepysaccount
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    My favorite thing to see substituted in a recipe is flour (of any sort). You might try ground up garbanzo beans or garbanzo bean flour as a substitute. It tends to work really nicely.