Bloated, crampy, stomach pain (not TOM)...what can it be?

Options
Over the past week and a half, I've been EXTREMELY busy at work and with family obligations and have basically been having two meals a day of just protein shakes (made with either Optimum Nutrition gold whey or Designer Whey depending on where I am) and then a regular meal at some point during the day, made up of relatively healthy ingrediants (vegetables, lean protein, grains, etc). And, as a result, my daily protein intake has been almost double what it normally has been.

Anyway, over the past few days I've noticed that my lower abdomen--around my belly button and below has been very bloated looking. I've actually never seen it this distended, though that could also be because I haven't been this thin in quite some time! :-)
I haven't been as, um, regular as I normally am, though I am drinking loads of water as usual. I also feel cramping in my stomach, like a pressure pain...

My period ended two weeks ago so it's not that. Do you think the protein powder itself could cause this? Or doubling my intake of protein so quickly can cause this? or...something else entirely? Maybe I need more fiber...? I'm concerned it might be a food allergy of some sort...

Replies

• Italianyc84
    Italianyc84 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Wondering if there is artificial sweetener in the protein powder...if so, isn't that known to cause bloat in people? I don't normally consme artificial sweetener at ALL, my diet is pretty clean, fresh foods, not packaged foods, no soda, etc...hmm...
  • gtwin
    gtwin Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Stop taking the protein powder and see if that's the culprit. If you still have that pain after a few days of not taking it, then I'd go to the doctor.

I had a similar pain like this, very bloated and tremendous pressure on my lower abdomen.....turned out to be a ruptured cyst. So, your best bet is to see a Dr. if the pain doesn't subside in a few days.
  • sglatte
    sglatte Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    See if your whey powder is concentrate or isolate. If it has few carbs, high protein and little fiber...it is isolate. I am not sure if you were aware, but whey protein isolate doesn't contain enough FIBER and will stuff you up. It will also make you constipated. This is not due to the sweetner, rather the lactose content. If you are using the ON amino acid drinks, that is fine...but you cannot use that as a food supplement.

Start eating missy lol! You should ONLY use whey powders to RE-UP after a workout. NOTHING ELSE. If you are having a hard time getting foods in, purchase a meal replacement or start carrying foods with you on your travels. That would be my "educated" advise and I hope that it works for you.

I am going through a PLATEAU because of something similar and everything that i have told you, was what I was also updated with.

14452907.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • Italianyc84
    Italianyc84 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    It's isolate for sure...ok, going to stop it for awhile and see how it goes. Thanks folks :-)
  • sglatte
    sglatte Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Also as a suggestion...when you do use the whey powder, add a scoop of Benefibre (tasteless and clear is the best kind) I found that it helped me recover from it all. I just put in one of my water bottles or with my yogurt and once in my shake for the day. :)
  • DeenieWeenie
    DeenieWeenie Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Could it be gas? That can be painful and make you bloat!
  • prism6
    prism6 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I have the same trouble. Let me know if you figure it out. I haven't been doing anything different
  • fabafter5
    fabafter5 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Could you be ovulating? If your TOM was 2 weeks ago this could be it. I get worse cramping, bloating, irritability and food cravings when I am ovulating than when it is my TOM.

I never realized this until I started trying to get pregnant and I was avoiding "intimacy" during this time. Umm that doesn't work too well.
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Whey protein is a milk protein, and it does give a lot of people gas, bloating, cramps, and constipation.

I mix1 scoop with 10-12 oz of water and take a Lactaid, or gasX It defiantly helps me.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Could you be ovulating? If your TOM was 2 weeks ago this could be it. I get worse cramping, bloating, irritability and food cravings when I am ovulating than when it is my TOM.

I never realized this until I started trying to get pregnant and I was avoiding "intimacy" during this time. Umm that doesn't work too well.

I was wondering this same thing. I tend to get crampy, bloated when I ovulate.
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    I had this for a couple of days in a row too.
    For me I was thinking it was to much sodium.
  • fda1210
    fda1210 Posts: 6
    Options
    I drink alot of protein products too that i buy from my doctor protein can be very binding in terms of regularity. I started taking some fiber supplements and it seems to have done the trick!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    if you've just started on the shakes - its definately that. try to get more fibre. i drink hot water with a slice of lemon all day - it gets the water in and the lemon really helps with your problem. unfortunatelly you're stuck with the gas lol
  • SilentRenegade
    SilentRenegade Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    That happened to me once and I then developed a 103 degree fever. Went to the doctor and she said I was overly constipated to the point where it could have gone the wrong way. Yes, gross, but very dangerous.

So she gave me a bunch of laxatives.

My mom laughed and said she was going to Target and purchased some magnesium citrate ($1.04 a bottle). I drank it and I can tell you right now, I wasn't constipated anymore and my fever went away. I know when I have too much protein and not enough fats or fiber that happens to me, so I'm very careful now, because that was really crappy... (pun intended). :D
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Whey protein is a milk protein, and it does give a lot of people gas, bloating, cramps, and constipation.

I mix1 scoop with 10-12 oz of water and take a Lactaid, or gasX It defiantly helps me.

don't know these brand names as i'm in the UK but be careful if these are laxitives as taking them regularly can really bugger up your system. better with some fruit or wholegrain. sorry in advance if they're not.