Question about HRM

Options
I am new to the weight loss and exercising thing, so bear with me if I sound..dumb?

I recently purchased this HRM: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P8XXRE/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

Backstory-I used to sit on my butt and eat all day..so exercising and eating well is a whole new world to me. I went straight from eating crap and sitting around to working out daily doing the 30 day shred. I was only losing .6 each week for a few weeks, but the past 2 weeks I have lost about 5-6lbs total.

Well, I wore my HRM for the first time doing the shred and it said I burned 698 calories, today was 709. Everything else I have read says people usually burn about 200-350ish, depending on their stats. Mine seems so high. I'm not sure if it's a faulty HRM or if I am just burning a whole lot.

I am 5'1, weigh 239.6 as of this morning and 22 years old. Instead of looking at my HR the whole time, I switched it to % so I can see what 'zone' I am in. Today, I was averaging 81% and max was 91%, min was 58%. Is this unusual for just starting over the past 1.5 months? Or should I return the HRM for a different one?

Replies

• thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about that particular one, I couldn't tell from the description exactly - does it come with a chest strap?

Most of the HRMs I've had ask you for detailed information regarding your fitness level, height, weight, etc. Those all help to give a more accurate calculation of your calorie burn. It's possible that it's true for you, but I'm not sure.

I have a Garmin Forerunner 110 HRM, but that's also because I do a lot of running outside and love the GPS function. I know a lot of other people have had Polar HRMs and seem satisfied with those.
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
  • JessicaPiche89
    JessicaPiche89 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Yes, it has the chest strap with it. Also, it asked me for weight, what zone I wanted to be in and max HR, so I'm not sure if that is enough information for it to be accurate?