Cannot lose weight and very frustrated.

Options

Replies

• emrys1976
    emrys1976 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    It's understandable that you're frustrated. It seems like you're changing you plan pretty often - perhaps it would be better to give one plan more time before you move on. Sometimes our bodies need time to adjust. And careful with restricting too low, doing that led me into the arms of an ED that 25 years later I still haven't recovered from.
  • 41degsouth
    Options
    Stats:
    5'1", 145lb, 22 years old, female. BMR is 1450, 'sedentary' rate (which I basically am) is 1690. I'm now eating 1000-1100 calories a day to make a 500 calorie deficit and see if that works, along with exercising less.

The BMR calculator on this site estimates your BMR at 1,355, which would lead to an estimated sedentary rate of 1,690 as you say. So a *net* target to lose a pound a week would be 1,190.

That means, eating 1,100 is a 590 deficit and 1,000 is a 690 calorie deficit. That extra 190 calories not eaten if you only eat 1,000 net represents eliminating more than 10% of your daily energy needs beyond the 500 calorie deficit already built into your target... That is not a trivial difference and all of this assumes that you are either not exercising now, or that you are eating back all of your exercise calories... otherwise the deficit is even larger. I know you don't want to "argue" about how much to eat. The key principle around here is not to argue, but to target how much to eat. Many many posts on these forums are from people who have not been eating as much as their target indicates they should, and who are also not finding they are loosing the weight they want to. Your body responds differently to a moderate calorie deficit and an extreme one.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    So not to be a smart *kitten* and please don't take it like that but obviously what you are doing now isn't work otherwise you wouldn't be asking us for help. You don't want to hear this, as you already stated but you are NOT eating enough to lose body fat. The weight you will lose is lean muscle mass. Also, when having a large deficit, your body will hold onto fat, which is another reason it's difficult to lose. You should read the study below for more information on why that is.

Now to the meat. If your BMR is 1450 and you live a sedentary lifestyle and lets say you burn 400 calories on average per workout. So...

TDEE = 1450 * 1.2 +400 = 2140

And since you don't have much to lose, you should be aiming for .5 lb per week

Caloric needs = 2410 * .80 = 1712

Also, eating below your metabolic rate will slow your metabolism down. Your body is intelligent enough that if it doesn't get adequate nutrition, it slows down. It's fairly plain and simple. Also, as you approach your goal, you need more fuel so your body isn't afraid to deplete the fat stores. So if you want something that actually works, then eat more for months. You won't be able to sustain 1000 calorie for the rest of your life so why do it now?

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html

ps- you don't form deficits off your BMR, you form it off the TDEE.
  • picimadar
    picimadar Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    As I said before in the first post, I was eating 1500 a day and, even if I was working off say 400 a day, that's a 500 calorie deficit.

No loss.

Moving down to 1100 calories and working out less is putting my body in a different position than eating more and working out more, which obviously did not work, as I said.

When I start lifting, I may consider eating more, but at this point I have zero confidence that that will work. I ate 1600 calories a day since January and lost nothing, exercising or not. So no, I won't be taking that.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. So, in September 2011 I got to my highest weight of 165 and decided it was time to get it under control. I worked out like a fiend in the gym (and by like a fiend I mean 1200 calories on the elliptical, HR 165 kind of stuff) but didn't really count calories. I successfully lost 15lb in 8 weeks. I then basically put my loss off until January for no real reason but being lazy. In January I tried a low-carb diet, which made me feel like absolute ****. I lost about 2.5 inches a week between Jan-end of February, but only lost about 5lb despite keeping my calories under 1500 (minus a few cheats here and there).

Now, about the middle of February I quit low carb and basically went on a 40/30/30 diet. I felt much better, ate 1400-1600 per day and did p90 twice daily (I felt it was too easy). I have gone down to losing about 1 inch a week now if that, haven't lost any weight since the second week of January.

I've been told so many different things that I'm ready to lose my mind. Calorically, my weight loss should be happening, I'm burning enough that it should. I'm eating too much, not enough, working out too much, not enough, eating the wrong things, eating too much of the right things, not doing the right exercises etc etc.

Basically at this point I'm ready to just eat 1000 cal a day, work out less and MAKE something happen, even if it's losing lean mass, because I'm so tired of being stuck at the same body fat level! I'm flabby and extremely unhappy, and I'm hoping you guys can help me out with how much to eat or what I'm doing wrong, because I just cannot figure it out.

Stats:
    5'1", 145lb, 22 years old, female. BMR is 1450, 'sedentary' rate (which I basically am) is 1690. I'm now eating 1000-1100 calories a day to make a 500 calorie deficit and see if that works, along with exercising less. Also, I just ordered a Fitbit (yay, tax return) so I'm hoping to get a better read on what my 'actual' burn is very soon, like in the next few weeks.

1000 cals is not enough, your weekly goal should be to lose no more than 1lb/week, which would be a minimum of 1190 (1200) net. but you may even what to try eating your BMR as net caloric intake, as it is suggested that you don't go below BMR intake unless you are obese. this would be basically setting your weekly goal at 0.5lbs/week which would give you 1440 cals
  • Melanie12081
    Options
    I think you need to lift heavy. Check out http://body-improvements.com/ and search Steve Troutman's (stroutman81) posts on this site.

This worked for me. I also started intermittent fasting, which helped break 2 1/2 month plateau.
  • Pappabacon
    Pappabacon Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    If P90x is too easy, you aren't lifting enough. These programs are designed for you to work at your maximum capacity and if it is too easy for you then you aren't.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    why are you eating so little? that will not lead to lasting weight loss, you have to feed your body properly. do strength training 2-3 days a week plus cardio 3-5 days a week. eat enough. you should never eat less than 1200 and if you're working out you should always eat back at least part of your exercise calories.

start weight 303.4 (1/1/11)
    current weight 198.4 (105lbs down)
    goal weight 160
    29y/o 5'6'
  • psuLemon
    Options
    If P90x is too easy, you aren't lifting enough. These programs are designed for you to work at your maximum capacity and if it is too easy for you then you aren't.

I think she is doing Power 90 and not P90X . P90 isn't as extreme as P90X
  • NICOLED73
    NICOLED73 Posts: 183
    Options
    I've had the same problem. Eating less calories, eating a (practically) carb free diet, working out more etc.... I havent' lost any weight in weeks (months?). I dont' know what else to do but keep trying because the alternative is even less appealing.
    I bought the Jillian Michaels kettle bell set from Wal Mart last night. I figure if I'm going to stay the same weight (196 lbs on my 5'8" frame) then at least I can tone what I have with the kettle bell routine. I also get my cardio in via the treadmill and stationary bike 3 x per week at my gym.
    Good luck and I hope something gives...for both of us!
  • zsaoosh
    zsaoosh Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    If you eat less then 1200 a day then your body will think it is starving itself and keep on the weight. Eat atleast 1200 and eat back atleast half of your work out calories (dont really have to eat back more then that). Eat healthy, it will fuel your body and keep you feeling great. GOOD LUCK!
  • LoggingForLife
    LoggingForLife Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    If you are going to disagree with every suggestion, why are you asking? My opinion is that you may be overthinking this a bit. You don't lead a sedentary lifestyle so you should set it differently. It will give you more calories to eat.....eat them. Your body needs fuel to work and do what you are asking it to do. Food is not the enemy. You are working too hard and are going to burn yourself out. Try what people are suggesting and relax. Trust your body, and other people....we can help.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    This is my opinion on stuff.

If you want to lose weight, you need to stop doing P90X and do cardio only.

If you are losing inches, but not losing weight, then you are gaining muscle weight while losing fat weight, but only in equal portions. (or there about) Which is a good thing, but it sounds like that's not what you want.

Unfortunately you can't have it both ways.

If you want to change your body composition, do exactly what you are doing. You are losing an inch a week. That's a good thing. Lift heavier for your P90X. And eat more.

If you want to lose fat, then stop P90X and just do solely cardio. And eat more protein so you don't lose a lot of the muscle you currently have.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    This is my opinion on stuff.

If you want to lose weight, you need to stop doing P90X and do cardio only.

If you are losing inches, but not losing weight, then you are gaining muscle weight while losing fat weight, but only in equal portions. (or there about) Which is a good thing, but it sounds like that's not what you want.

Unfortunately you can't have it both ways.

If you want to change your body composition, do exactly what you are doing. You are losing an inch a week. That's a good thing. Lift heavier for your P90X. And eat more.

If you want to lose fat, then stop P90X and just do solely cardio. And eat more protein so you don't lose a lot of the muscle you currently have.

WHAT??? Bad bad advice. Programs like P90X will help you lose more fat then cardio while retaining lean muscle.

Cardio does not help you lose weight, cardio allows you to eat more food to keep the same caloric deficit. (Cardio has other benefits such as increased endurance and strengthening of the heart, but for weigh loss it is a 0 sum game, burn 400 cals, eat 400 back) It is a much better idea to do only a little cardio and a heavy strength training routine while in a caloric deficit to lose body fat while retaining lean muscle. If you do cardio you need to eat those cals back so your body doesn't burn muscle.

And no, she will not be gaining muscle on a 1000 cal/day diet no matter how much she lifts.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I've had the same problem. Eating less calories, eating a (practically) carb free diet, working out more etc.... I havent' lost any weight in weeks (months?). I dont' know what else to do but keep trying because the alternative is even less appealing.
    I bought the Jillian Michaels kettle bell set from Wal Mart last night. I figure if I'm going to stay the same weight (196 lbs on my 5'8" frame) then at least I can tone what I have with the kettle bell routine. I also get my cardio in via the treadmill and stationary bike 3 x per week at my gym.
    Good luck and I hope something gives...for both of us!

Have you tried the option of eating more calories? No matter how much you workout, if you don't eat enough, then you wont' lose the right kind of weight. If you want to PM me, we can discuss your caloric needs more so we don't stray away from the OP's questions.
  • picimadar
    Options
    I don't mind anyone thread-jacking, don't worry.
  • FireTigerSoul
    FireTigerSoul Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I understand EXACTLY how you feel. I'm 4'11, and I have 30-40 lbs to lose. I started out with 1200 and burning off 300-350 calories a day. After 4 weeks, I was losing inches, but not pounds. I was incredibly frustrated. I spoke to my doctor, and I told her that I had lost weight before eating 900 calories a day and working out for 30-40 minutes a day. She suggested I try that again. So, ignoring everybody's cries of 'You're not eating enough!', I cut my calories to 1000, burned off 400 a day, and lost a pound. I'm taking multivitamins and eating clean. I'm also monitoring my nutrient intakes to make sure I'm getting enough.

I'm now eating between 900-1000 a day, and burning off about 400-500 calories with a combination of strength and cardio. I'm still losing the same amount of inches as I had before (proving that I'm still burning fat, not muscle...plus I can actually SEE some muscles now), and the scale is finally moving.

You just need to figure out what works for YOU. Everybody is different, and everybody loses differently. Try something for about 2 weeks, and if you don't see positive changes, try something else.

Hope you find what works for you!
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I understand EXACTLY how you feel. I'm 4'11, and I have 30-40 lbs to lose. I started out with 1200 and burning off 300-350 calories a day. After 4 weeks, I was losing inches, but not pounds. I was incredibly frustrated. I spoke to my doctor, and I told her that I had lost weight before eating 900 calories a day and working out for 30-40 minutes a day. She suggested I try that again. So, ignoring everybody's cries of 'You're not eating enough!', I cut my calories to 1000, burned off 400 a day, and lost a pound. I'm taking multivitamins and eating clean. I'm also monitoring my nutrient intakes to make sure I'm getting enough.

I'm now eating between 900-1000 a day, and burning off about 400-500 calories with a combination of strength and cardio. I'm still losing the same amount of inches as I had before (proving that I'm still burning fat, not muscle...plus I can actually SEE some muscles now), and the scale is finally moving.

You just need to figure out what works for YOU. Everybody is different, and everybody loses differently. Try something for about 2 weeks, and if you don't see positive changes, try something else.

Hope you find what works for you!

You do realize that you lose inches when you lose muscle right? The only way to track if you are losing muscle as well as fat is start trying body fat vs weight to do a comparison of how much weight you are losing compared to how much fat you are losing. Something to consider during your weight loss journey.
  • picimadar
    Options
    I guess I just need to wrap my brain around 'net' calories. At this point mine are consistently between 100-500, and MFP and other resources tell me to keep this above 800 at the least.

Blah. This is so much more complicated than it needs to be, I just cannot for the life of me get the scale to move whatsoever. Hopefully getting my diet more balanced and starting lifting will help. Otherwise I'm honestly just going to give up.
  • FireTigerSoul
    FireTigerSoul Posts: 274 Member
    Options

You do realize that you lose inches when you lose muscle right? The only way to track if you are losing muscle as well as fat is start trying body fat vs weight to do a comparison of how much weight you are losing compared to how much fat you are losing. Something to consider during your weight loss journey.

I don't understand what you're trying to say. Yes, I do understand that everybody loses a little muscle. However, like I mentioned in my post, I can actually see visible cut lines now. Just feeling around my thighs, I'm pretty sure I can tell what's fat and what's muscle.