sugars

Options
I have refined my daily goals to also inlclude sugars and fiber in addition to the carbs, fats, and cals it already provides. It gives me a 24g of sugar/day goal. I drank a 8 oz glass of low fat 1%milk with a whole wheat english muffin for breakfast and plan to have a banana for an afternoon snack this afternoon. This already puts me WAAAY over my sugar grams for the day and thats not accounting for the 1 gram of sugar that will be in the turkey I eat for lunch and the 2 g in my multi grain bread I plan to put my turkey on. It's not like I am sitting here eating a candy bar or cookies. These sugars were already in my fruit, grains, and milk for the day. Should I not be eating these??

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Personally, I wouldn't measure sugars. It's just not critical. Measure overall Macros. Carbs, protein, fats. The rest is not that important.
  • MNHoliday
    MNHoliday Posts: 20
    Options
    If you really want to eat less sugar, you have to eat more vegetables. Vegetables + meat/fish/eggs. Very little sugar here.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    24gs of ADDED sugar..... The sugar from the banana = not added. The milk = not added. The bread = added.... get the picture?

Sugars that occur naturally in fruits/veggies are not "bad" for you. I personally eat more veggies than fruits, but don't worry too much if fruit sugar puts me over. I also track on a "weekly" basis. If I am under on sugars all week, I'll have a nice sugary treat on the weekend.