New runner, need to know if this is normal. :)

Options
So I just started running last week and I'm doing two miles a day. (I've done 16 miles! Who knew I could!?) I'm getting this deep ache feeling, mostly in my knees and shins and I'd just like to know what it is. I know what tight sore muscles feel like and cramps but this is new to me. Can anyone help me out? Thanks in advance! :)

Replies

• ckapes
    ckapes Posts: 31
    Options
    It could be shin splints. Are you stretching after you run? Make sure you get it checked out before you continue, you don't want to tear anything. Good luck.
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I had problems at first due to bad shoes. I stopped having shin pains right after I got good shoes.

Are you wearing good running shoes?
  • NicolettetheGreek
    NicolettetheGreek Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Could be "shin splints" , I use to get them frequently when I ran and didn't stretch enough. To make the skin pain go away, sit in chair, put foot flat on floor and lift your toes up and down, like you're tapping them. Keep heel on floor. It will hurt at first, but I found if I did this every day, just randomly when I was sitting, I didn't have any more problems. Hope this helps, and WaHoo to YOU for Running!!:bigsmile:
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    I had problems at first due to bad shoes. I stopped having shin pains right after I got good shoes.

Same. If your shoes weren't made for running or are a bit too old to take some of the impact from your feet, I'd switch them out for padded running shoes. I had my first shin splints this year, and switching shoes saved me from Round 2 doing the same exercises (after they'd healed for two weeks).
  • kmturtle3
    kmturtle3 Posts: 556
    Options
    I agree, probably shin splints... common in new runners, especially if you do too much too fast - it takes your legs time to get used to the beating they take from the impact of running.

Do you stretch? Do you have a foam roller? My foam roller has saved me from so many different injuries, I'm sure. Its like deep tissue massage at home, and is basically the best thing you can do for your legs post-run. Make sure you warm up too... I usually just do a couple of yoga sun salutations to get my muscles warm and loose prior to hitting the pavement.

Oh and welcome to world of running! Look out, its addictive. :wink:
  • gmpearson
    gmpearson Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Most likely it is a combination of 2 things - inadequate shoes and amount of running compared to where you were. I believe it is probably more your shoes. If there is a local running store near you, I definitely would advise you to go in there and have them do an analysis on your running form and fit you with a proper shoe. If you research pronation and gait in regards to running, you'll see that over or under pronating and where your foot strike happens in your stride will put a lot of stress on your shins and knees.

The other thing I would suggest is adding a "jumpers band" for your knees - they are about $6 a piece, and will help keep your patella stable while running. You don't need to run with it all the time, just until you have conditioned a little. I use my bands on long runs.

Try changing up your running surface as well - that sometimes helps. Run on a track, trails, treadmill, and concrete.

Good luck and keep on running!!!
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    This helped me when I first started running. I didn't experience any knee pain, but I definitely had muscle soreness on the front of my lower leg. I'm a newbie too, though, so maybe some more experienced runners have other ideas.

http://walking.about.com/od/stretching/a/shinstretch.htm
  • Caitlyl
    Caitlyl Posts: 29
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I have a feeling it's my shoes so I guess I'll be getting some new ones and stretching more. I'm in love with running already, I'd hate to mess up and have to stop!
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    So I just started running last week and I'm doing two miles a day. (I've done 16 miles! Who knew I could!?) I'm getting this deep ache feeling, mostly in my knees and shins and I'd just like to know what it is. I know what tight sore muscles feel like and cramps but this is new to me. Can anyone help me out? Thanks in advance! :)

Good Running Shoes are a must - go to a specialty store and have them watch you run and fit you correctly.
    Stretch, stretch, stretch!
    Do some google research on running form, stretching for runners
    Don't push too far too fast or too fast too soon.

I went headfirst and have not been able to run for almost 2 weeks from overuse of my adductor muscles. They say that it's best not to increase more than 10% a week and that still may be too much.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    proper shoes, stretching, and REST DAYS.
    You never ran before but you've run 2 miles a day for the last week?
    Too much too soon!
  • jsbpitch
    jsbpitch Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    If what you are experiencing is, indeed, shin splints, be sure to take care of them now (ice and stretch) as they can develop into stress fractures and keep you off your feet and in a boot! An effective, but painful way to help treat shin splints is using an "ice cup". Freeze a paper or plastic cup of water, and massage the ice on your shins until the cup is gone (the smaller dixie cups work great). Peel back the cup as the ice melts.
  • Skeemer118
    Skeemer118 Posts: 397 Member
    Options

Same. If your shoes weren't made for running or are a bit too old to take some of the impact from your feet, I'd switch them out for padded running shoes. I had my first shin splints this year, and switching shoes saved me from Round 2 doing the same exercises (after they'd healed for two weeks).

^Yup. My shins got much better when I got good running shoes. Go to a shoe specialty store (Not in the mall, an actual running store) & they'll help you get fitted for shoes.
  • ritmeyer
    ritmeyer Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I have a feeling it's my shoes so I guess I'll be getting some new ones and stretching more. I'm in love with running already, I'd hate to mess up and have to stop!

I would suggest going to your local running store for a fitting. Once you learn your running "style" you can get the correct shoe. This is soooooo important. Happy running!!!!
  • Caitlyl
    Caitlyl Posts: 29
    Options
    I'm new to running in the sense that it's been a while, not new as in never run before. And I'm not running weekends.
  • fitnessgoddess17
    fitnessgoddess17 Posts: 125 Member
    Options

this was my problem too
  • Lorimichewicz
    Lorimichewicz Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Along with the shoes, try lifting your feet using your knees. When I first started running, I was lifting from the toes and my shins hurt. Now I focus on lifting with my knees and I don't have that pain anymore. Check out Chi running, good info on proper form while running. Enjoy! :c)
  • MrWiseMN
    MrWiseMN Posts: 8
    Options
    Another in agreement; probably shin splints. I am unfortunately familiar with this pain as well. There are many exercises on the web that can help with this issue; toe raises worked well for me. Also, you can try compression calve sleeves - these helped me tremendously! The good news is, with some training and patience, the pain does subside, allowing you to feel the other pains of running long distances. :)
  • sailinjen
    sailinjen Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Had the same thing...did too much too fast...try to slow it down so you don't injure yourself! Good luck!
  • Jconner30
    Jconner30 Posts: 311
    Options
    Go to a running store. Have someone watch you walk so they can figure out if you are a neutral, pronate, or supinate. They have shoes that correct this. I would recommend the brand "Brooks" - they are marathon running shoes and I run 30-35 miles a week in them. I dont have any issues with shin splints or pain in my joints. Pain in my muscles - yes - but thats normal :smile:
  • Abrasue
    Abrasue Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I've noticed after I actually bought good running shoes my running abilities increased so much. So worth the money.