How can I curb my sweet tooth??

Options
This should maybe go in the "Food and Nutrition" section, but honestly the hardest part is the motivation to fight my cravings.

I'm a low-carber, so as you may or may not know, it is possible to make almost ANYTHING in a sugar-free/low carb version. Prior to changing my lifestyle, I have ALWAYS eaten every grain of sugar within a 10-mile radius-- cookies, brownies, Dairy Queen, donuts, you name it, I ate it and loved it. :/

I feel like I haven't broken the habit, though, but just replaced it with "acceptable" recipes.

I am trying to wean myself off of treats like sugar-free chocolate and desserts that are full of Splenda. Although I'm meeting my carb goals, it can't be healthy to eat large amounts of artificial sweeteners constantly.

I have given up Diet Coke and opt now for water and tea. That was a HUGE step for those who know me.

I haven't made a low-carb dessert in about two months, however I feel like I am CONSTANTLY craving sweet things. This has caused a spike in my peanut butter and whipped cream intake, lol.

Does anyone else battle with this? Have you found any alternate ways to deal with it?

Replies

• Mist1981
    Mist1981 Posts: 145
    Options
    I eat an apple with chocolate flavored almond butter. Also take a slice of Ezekiel bread, put PB2 on it, cinnamon, and stevia then I toast it. The thing to keep in mind is once you "detox" your body with the sugars you will actually have less cravings. Good luck!
  • katie133
    katie133 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Yes.... I use stevia to sweeten things, such as my greek yogurt... It isnt an artificial sweetener

"Stevia is a South American herb used as a natural sweetener for centuries. The leaves of the Stevia rebaudiana plant have a refreshing taste, zero glycemic index, zero calories and zero carbs. It is 25-30 times sweeter than sugar, and far more healthy!"
  • Mist1981
    Mist1981 Posts: 145
    Options
    OH I also love Coconut Chai Green Tea sweeted with Vanilla Stevia.
  • minnesota_deere
    minnesota_deere Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    This should maybe go in the "Food and Nutrition" section, but honestly the hardest part is the motivation to fight my cravings.

I'm a low-carber, so as you may or may not know, it is possible to make almost ANYTHING in a sugar-free/low carb version. Prior to changing my lifestyle, I have ALWAYS eaten every grain of sugar within a 10-mile radius-- cookies, brownies, Dairy Queen, donuts, you name it, I ate it and loved it. :/

I feel like I haven't broken the habit, though, but just replaced it with "acceptable" recipes.

I am trying to wean myself off of treats like sugar-free chocolate and desserts that are full of Splenda. Although I'm meeting my carb goals, it can't be healthy to eat large amounts of artificial sweeteners constantly.

I have given up Diet Coke and opt now for water and tea. That was a HUGE step for those who know me.

I haven't made a low-carb dessert in about two months, however I feel like I am CONSTANTLY craving sweet things. This has caused a spike in my peanut butter and whipped cream intake, lol.

Does anyone else battle with this? Have you found any alternate ways to deal with it?

just pull the thing out.
  • Camsdette
    Camsdette Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I actually had a lot of luck with chewing gum. If I was having a serious craving, I popped in a piece of flavored gum (I liked Extra's watermelon flavor, but there are lots of others). It kept my mouth busy and gave me a little something sweet to curb the craving.
  • Rondoontop
    Options
    I have a sweet tooth too, and have curbed it by eating fruit whenever I feel the urge for something sweet.
  • dreamingchild
    dreamingchild Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    For me the only way to stop the cravings is to quit eating sweets and breads for a period of time. I can't remember how long it takes, but eventually the cravings will go away.
  • allnewskinnyme
    allnewskinnyme Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I was seriously addicted to crisps. As in, if they were in the house and I knew about them, they were all I could think about until I'd eaten them or made someone else eat them! So... I gave them up for lent! It's been two weeks of no crisps and I don't even miss them anymore. I'd suggest cutting out the sweet things you're craving. A week should be enough to detoxify your body & mind for 'needing' them :)
  • BeanyFrog13
    BeanyFrog13 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I don't cut anything out completely, if I really really fancy chocolate, instead of having a massive amount, I have a funsize bar, worked into my daily calories. I tried cutting things out completely, and that doesn't work for me, it also didn't help me work out what an acceptable level of eating those types of things was, so I'd eat a ton, feel bad, cut it all out, re-introduce and rinse and repeat!

Working in small amounts of what I like helps keep my cravings in check. I don't need the things I eat, I just want and enjoy them.

url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker]1397731.png[/url]
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • paeli
    paeli Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Sweets were my absolute downfall. I mean, I reached nearly 300 lbs because of choices like eating a box of oreos over wanting to eat a real dinner. I love desserts of all kinds with all my heart. That said, I can relate! So aside from the whole detox yourself, ween yourself off, abstain from eating it, etc. I will give you a few tips on tasty things that I like to eat that might help satisfy your cravings.

What I like to eat for desserts now are fresh blueberries/strawberries/raspberries - really tasty if you sprinkle some 'pumpkin pie spice' on top (or just cinnamon). I also love apple slices and a tbsp of organic peanut butter (don't use kraft, it's full of added oils, look for something that's mostly peanuts!). An alternative to regular peanut butter that's an extra treat is white chocolate or dark chocolate peanut butter - it's not nutritionally any worse for you than peanut butter, but has a chocolatey flair to it! Look for "PB & Company" brand. Bananas are also good with peanut butter of course. Mm!
    For those with a real sweet tooth who haven't discovered dates yet, you are in for a real treat. These are now my absolute favourite, they are honestly nature's candy! 100% natural sweet flavor and so rich. Look for fruit/nut energy bar brand called "Larabar" to sample what I am talking about here or try your own homemade "larabar" (really easy to make) by following a recipe like this:
    http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/08/12/hot-fudge-brownie-larabars/
  • gonnadoit10
    gonnadoit10 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with those who encourage moderation. I cut the sweets completely for a few weeks (again, to decrease my desire for them), but then was feeling as if I was missing out. Now, I keep some mini candies in the freezer and work one or two into my meal plan every few days. 25 calories a pop allows me to feel as if I am having something special without going overboard. I didn't bring them into the house, though, until I felt that my self-control was better than what it was when sweet carbs were an every meal occurance.
  • Thermogenic
    Thermogenic Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I stick with hard candies and chocolate covered nutritional bars (typically Zone Perfect ones). The hard candies are basically pure sugar, so they fill the craving nicely with only a 60 calorie or so dosage. For chocolate, I will eat the 200 calorie Zone Perfect bars as a snack - they are filling, have a good amount of vitamins, and fill the chocolate craving.
  • krichards0403
    krichards0403 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I found that the fiber one brownies satisfy my chocolate cravings
  • candacerm
    Options
    I had really good luck with using insulin-resistance supplements for my cravings. I started them this week and I was amazed. I also drink a low calorie muscle milk or other protein shake in between meals, about 140 calories. the extra protein helps me not even think about food or sweets. also designate days or weekends that you will allow yourself the things you'd like. consider it "refeeding" which actually can boost your metabolism in some ways. make a list of things you've really desired that week like a mounds bar or a cupcake, and wait, and if you feel like them, eat them on saturday or sunday.
  • hopefloatsup
    hopefloatsup Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I'm a sweets person too! That's the hardest for me as well....I find that fruit - i LOVE bananas will help me curb the craving. I also just found Blue Diamond Oven Roasted Almonds - Butter Toffee Flavor. They are DELICIOUS! 160 cal for 24 almonds. Very low in sodium & 9g carbs (3g fiber, 5g sugar. Also 5g Protein. I can easily grab a handful of these instead of the serving size of 2 oreos and be much happier :-) I refuse to cut it out completely because I feel for myself, I'd set myself up for failure LOL. It's easier to just allow for it and find better options. I'm not saying I don't have a treat now and then. I do. And now, I don't feel guilty! Good luck!