When You are Losing Weight Is It Bad That Muscle Is Building

Options
I will be going to the gym starting next week with my boyfriend and his family and i am afraid that is i work out the muscle will build over my fat is that even possible? I am new to this program and just need some support.

Replies

• sweetaj
    sweetaj Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi ! Building muscle will be a good thing! Google 5lb of muscle vs 5lb of fat image! I think you'll be ok. I'm no guru, but i believe muscle burns fat basically?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    I will be going to the gym starting next week with my boyfriend and his family and i am afraid that is i work out the muscle will build over my fat is that even possible? I am new to this program and just need some support.
    Muscle doesn't build over fat. You already have muscle and fat covers it. Unless you're a total newbie and and are on calorie deficit, the chances of building muscle without calorie surplus is pretty unattainable.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Allyson1985
    Allyson1985 Posts: 148
    Options
    Hi ! Building muscle will be a good thing! Google 5lb of muscle vs 5lb of fat image! I think you'll be ok. I'm no guru, but i believe muscle burns fat basically?

Yes, muscle burns fat ... faster when you're properly hydrated! :)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    What will happen by lifting weights while in a caloric deficit is that most of your loss will come from fat, instead of losing muscle and fat. This will help keep your metabolism running and you will be able to see some muscle definition as you lose more fat that is covering the muscle.

Lifting weights will not make you gain muscle, it will help you retain the muscle you already have, If you didn't workout you would actually lose muscle as you lose weight.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    Hate to say it but if you are female and lift weights, you will look like this:

Kim.jpg
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Kim.jpg

... If you are on a caloric surplus and taking steroids
  • thedeegan4
    thedeegan4 Posts: 422 Member
    Options

Kim.jpg

As if that bikini and necklace make her look like a woman...lol
  • mrseelmerfudd
    mrseelmerfudd Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Its fine to build muscle. Im building muscle as im losing the fat, as i am doing a lot of sports, and i want to keep my muscle and not lose it. make sure you get enough protein in your diet too, essential if you want to build up some muscle.
  • carriem73
    carriem73 Posts: 333 Member
    Options

Kim.jpg

Did you see the whole slideshow of women body builders on foxnews.com yesterday? yucky!!!!!
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    Heres some more accurate pictures that may help you. These are real natural women, non steroid users, who lift heavy weights, watch diet, etc.

Unlike the "other" picture posted, which is not what a normal women can achieve while lifting, unless she -
    A)is taking drugs (not protein supplements, vitamins and createne - but actual specific drugs that alter the body hormonal levels)
    B) lifts for years
    C) Eats at a calorie surplus, very specific diet
    D) has a very specific exercise routine too create the mass seen in that image
    F) very very low bodyfat levels, and dehydration for competition look

The average women, lifting at the gym, even with good diet, lifting heavy, with lots of weight AND good diet, taking extra protein and creatine will still never look like the "other" picture. That is not easy to do, and you must do a number of things to get there. You cannot do that accidentally.

My results have been similar, to women below, I am 10-15 pounds heavier then my "rough goal weight" but am already AT my goal clothing size, and physically I am about 1-2 times smaller clothing wise, then last time I was at my goal weight (when I had less muscle) - So I look tighter leaner and smaller, then before at my "small" weight. I do not look "muscly" or like a man. Just fit, and firm where I should be -but with softness over the muscle.

To everyone else I look like I am already at my goal weight. But I am heavier, which is fine :) Ignore the scale.
    Less weight - yep you look good dressed and may fit the smaller clothing size - but, add more muscle and a bit more scale weight - you also fit the smaller clothing size, look good dressed AND look good nakkid.

I loose fat faster when I lift heavy weights, low reps. I tighten all over, including the common trouble areas. I have less body aches and pains. Can look good in a bikini :)

5 lbs heavier in after pic, but tighter and leaner
    236227942924235826_gkkV70hE_f.jpg

Not same girl, but cute example
    283304632779084974_6m2KFBn5_f.jpg

Same weight, after was when she started lifting heavy
    75153887501416986_Y1GnYQpg_f.jpg

Different girls but both size 4
    Size4Comparison-300x182.png

Same girl, before and after lifting heavy weights, she lost 5 lbs
    tumblr_lr5tonlb3A1qgyxugo1_500.jpg

Stacy, read her story here: She is 14 lbs heavier in after
    http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
    160933386653933440_XDkHzL9R_f.jpg

10 lbs heavier in after
    160933386653912536_Q9O5CANq_f.jpg

10 lbs heavier in after
    160933386653912535_fBi9urCv_f.jpg

Different girl, but both size 2
    size2.jpg?w=288&h=223
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    If you are eating enough and get enough protein in your diet, and lift heavy, you'll gain muscle but it'll be under your fat. You won't gain so much that you won't look feminine. Don't worry about that.
    If you are restricting calories to lose weight but still getting enough protein, lifting weights will help you retain the muscle you have while you lose fat. This is good. It will help mitigate problems like loose skin. Not totally, but your skin will still have more of your muscle underneath and won't be as wrinkly/floppy while it shrinks.
  • Krystal821
    Krystal821 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    The more muscle you have the more calories your body will burn. If you do not lift weights while trying to lose weight you will lose the muscle you already have which is not a good thing. You will not bulk up and look manly. I have seen people lose 4lbs of total body weight but at the same time they gained 6lbs of fat-free mass which means their total fat mass loss was 10lbs! They are much leaner and healthier losing fat mass and gaining fat-free mass opposed to losing both fat and fat-free mass.
  • rezaboi
    rezaboi Posts: 2
    Options
    i think it is not so bad it may be sore but that means it is working
  • rezaboi
    rezaboi Posts: 2
    Options
    hey i also sent you a friend request, i do not want to diet alone