My Job is Ruining my weightloss...

Options
About a month ago I got in trouble for to many bathroom breaks at work.... Stupid if you ask me because I drink about 2liters of water at work and that is just so I feel better hydrated and can concentrate well through the day...... But now I can't take TOO MANY bathroom breaks and that sucks so I barely drink WATER at work and when I am home barely either because I only have tap water and I don't wanna go out n by water bottles every five minutes! .. Plus everyone at work eats such garbage and always buys me lunches and I sometimes eat em a little, other times I put em in the fridge but one time I didn't eat it and left it in the fridge and my supervisor said he was offended. I wanted to be like "well I was offended you thought I would put that garbage into my body" ugh i honestly donno wat to do any advice

Replies

• CiciPorcayo
    CiciPorcayo Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    BUMP... someone should have some advice idk what to do anymore...
  • LittleMissNerdy
    LittleMissNerdy Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Just tell them you appreciate them thinking about you at lunch time but that you bring your own lunch and don't want them wasting their money on you.
  • AprilShore
    AprilShore Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Check with your human resources supervisor. I don't think you can be denied trips to the bathroom. I would suggest having a conversation with your boss and telling them that you don't want to offend anyone, but you are trying to have a healthy lifestyle and brown bag it! I work in a school and gained 25 pounds before I realized it. I am not politely decling small children's birthday cupcakes. It was difficult, but I am doing it. You can too! Good for you wanting to have a healthy lifestyle!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    You can still drink water at work, just don't' drink as much (though I'm not sure they can legally tell you when you can/can't go to the restroom) as you have been. There's no reason you can't still drink water though.

As for lunches, take your own and tell everyone "I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but I'm going to be bringing my lunch from now on. Please, don't buy me anything anymore"

Problem solved.
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    You got in trouble for taking too many bathroom breaks? Do you work in a concentration camp? You should speak to the Department of Labor. There is def something wrong with that
  • CiciPorcayo
    CiciPorcayo Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    You got in trouble for taking too many bathroom breaks? Do you work in a concentration camp? You should speak to the Department of Labor. There is def something wrong with that

right? becuase they say if I take to many bathroom breaks I don't get enough work done... wow I was like I won't take lunch & you have to give me that because it says it in the application I filled out, so ill use that time to GO PEE 30mins total I can spread that out in a day, but they said no.... haha ! Office jobs! pffff
  • NYCDutchess
    NYCDutchess Posts: 622 Member
    Options

Agreed. I mean running to pee cant take more than 3 minutes...really? I think this is illegal.
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    Just start peeing in your chair.
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Is it a case of too many bathroom breaks or the breaks are too long??? I used to have a co-worker that would go to the bathroom about once an hour and would be gone for 30 minutes at a time.. they were reprimanded because the breaks were frequent and long.

Frequency of bathroom breaks should not matter, but if you are disrupting others work, or are taking too long work places can reprimand you for it... I would talk to the person who reprimanded you and find out WHY, if it is a case of "you are taking to many" go to HR and find out what exactly they consider too many bathroom breaks - sometimes it is the person who has reprimanded you is being unrealistic and needs to be talked to.
  • sburde2
    sburde2 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    What type of work do you do? They can't limit the amount of bathroom breaks you take, talk to HR!
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for your trouble at work. To increase your water at home, you can always buy a bottle that has a filter inside of it, then you can fill it with tap water. (I drink straight tap water...tap water is usually very safe, so if you have concerns, check with your local water company about it. You can also buy a testing kit).

A concern about too many breaks at work is legitimate, but if it's for health reasons, maybe you could talk to someone about it. And, I think another poster gave you great advice: stand up for yourself in a very polite way.
  • SPBROOKS68
    SPBROOKS68 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Get a Brita faucet water filter and/or a water filter pitcher for your refrigerator. I did this and no longer buy water and drink more because it is in the refrigerator cold and ready to drink.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Drinking water or not drinking it won't effect your weightloss.

It's dumb that your boss is offended that you don't want his food. Maybe sit down with him and explain that you'd simply rather he didn't buy you anything that way he didn't waste his money.
  • csparon
    csparon Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    OSHA

The rule which covers bathrooms at work is: 29CFR Toilet facilities.1910.141(c)(1).

If you don't have enough bathrooms or your boss doesn't let you use the bathroom, you can file a complaint with OSHA. If you decide, OSHA will not tell your boss who filed the complaint.
  • Geeky_Girl
    Geeky_Girl Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Talk to your boss and let them know about your new healthy lifestyle. Sometimes people get talked to about too many bathroom breaks because the boss thinks they're taking a smoke break or chatting with people instead. If you don't want to offend people who buy you food, go ahead and just take the food home (if you can) and offer it to a friend, roommate, etc or dump it off site.

Just my opinion though. I'm not sure how helpful it is where you're at. Good luck though :smile:
  • Pattiann237
    Options
    Tell them you've developed some weird food allergies and they should ask you before they buy you any food. As for the bathroom thing. i used to have a job where I couldn't go to the bathroom much, so i drank a big glass of water before work, a big glass at lunch, and two big glasses when I got home. Good luck!! Work can make eating healthy very tough!!
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    1. Talk to your human resources person!!! That's flippin ridiculous.

2. Put your foot down and simply don't eat the stuff others buy you. If you stop eating it, they'll stop buying it for you.

Put into your body what YOU WANT to put into your body, and take all the damn pee breaks you need to.
  • KA29
    KA29 Posts: 54
    Options
    What about people who have conditions where they go often? Your work can't tell you to reduce the amount of bathroom trips you take. I agree with those who have advised you to talk to HR regarding this matter.

As far as passing on the free lunches, it is your decision to eat what you want. If your boss is offended then that is their problem. Just tell your boss you appreciate the thought, but you are working on eating healthy. I do that at my work, along with a majority of my co-workers, when lunch is offered and that has actually got my boss to bring us healthier food.

Regardless of how you decide to handle this, do not let your work ruin your diet. Overcome the negativity there and think about your ultimate goals and achieving them :happy:
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    Only an idiot would buy someone unwanted lunches and then be offended that they weren't eaten. You work in a pretty weird environment it seems.
  • _Shelley_
    _Shelley_ Posts: 206
    Options
    I can relate regarding the food part.

I work with the Native American population and in their culture, it is offensive to turn down food. When I first started there, I NEVER said no. Oh goodness, I gained 5 lbs very quickly as a result of this. They eat a lot of fatty, fried foods which did not set well with me.

It is hard to say no now but my clients understand that I'm very focused on my diet and that I watch what I eat. I think if you make it clear to your co-workers and boss that you're trying to get healthy and fit, they should understand :)

Best of luck to you.

PS. Use it as an educational thing for them too. Maybe "feed" them a little knowledge about the food they are feeding their bodies and the toll it is having.