Spread the Word ...

Options
MDLNH
MDLNH Posts: 587 Member
**I pledge and support the elimination of the derogatory use of the r-word from everyday speech and promote the acceptance and inclusion of people with intellectual disabilities.**

www.r-word.org

Why "intellectual disability" is replacing "mental retardation"-

The R-word, “retard,” is slang for the term mental retardation. Mental retardation was what doctors, psychologists, and other professionals used to describe people with significant intellectual impairment. Today the r-word has become a common word used by society as an insult for someone or something stupid. For example, you might hear someone say, “That is so retarded” or “Don’t be such a retard.” When used in this way, the r-word can apply to anyone or anything, and is not specific to someone with a disability. But, even when the r-word is not said to harm someone with a disability, it is hurtful.

***Take the pledge and Spread the Word ... to End the Word !!!

Replies

• KJVBear33
    KJVBear33 Posts: 628
    Options
    I think the use of "mental retardation" is equally offensive.........it should be known as a "mental illness" or if that in itself is offensive, then maybe the "intellectually impaired" would be a better term. I wholeheartedly agree!