Yoga anxiety when you're bigger/ P90X yoga vs. regular yoga

Options
Ok, so I've only done at-home yoga before (including Yoga X from P90X, and it was not a great experience, most of the moves were just too advanced for me and I got injured) and it's all fine and good in the privacy of my living room. I want to try a yoga class, but I have some hesitation and worries, mostly:

- not being able to do the majority of the poses or modify them and having to walk out half way through.
- injuring myself again (my hips can't handle going from plank to downward dog, and that seems to be a common move in yoga?)
- exposing my tummy flab when in a pose (I'm a shirt/pants tugger, and still very self-conscious about unsightly rolls or skin being exposed, it's something that I'm working on getting over)
- sweating too much and slipping all over my mat, and potentially falling on someone else in class. I don't know if my palms and feet are more prone to getting sweatier than the average person, but this happened quite a few times at home and I had to keep stopping to wash them or wipe them on a towel and wipe my mat down.

All of these things happened to me when attempting the P90X yoga, but I have heard that it's really an extreme, advanced kind of yoga, but it's made me apprehensive to try a class still. Does anyone have any advice for me with the above being said?

Replies

• jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Take a beginner class! I have done them at both yoga studios and the community college.

I found it to be really helpful to get an idea of the poses, and the instructor will correct your form! The beginner classes may or may not use props to help you get into position. (There is controversy about the props, but I found you grow out of them faster than you expect.)

Here are some comments inline:
    - not being able to do the majority of the poses or modify them and having to walk out half way through. >>> class will help, instructor will show you mods. Start with beginning yoga
    - injuring myself again (my hips can't handle going from plank to downward dog, and that seems to be a common move in yoga?) >>> every class I have taken, the instructor has had some time at the beginning for people to talk about any potential issues so they could recommend mods. I have done classes that haven't gone as advanced as downward dog. :)
    - exposing my tummy flab when in a pose (I'm a shirt/pants tugger, and still very self-conscious about unsightly rolls or skin being exposed, it's something that I'm working on getting over) >>> hmmm, I don't have this problem, but I think most of my shirts are too snug to move. Heheh. Do you wear shirts with stretch? They stay put. I usually get the basic tees from target or old navy, and they seem to stay mostly in place.
    - sweating too much and slipping all over my mat, and potentially falling on someone else in class. I don't know if my palms and feet are more prone to getting sweatier than the average person, but this happened quite a few times at home and I had to keep stopping to wash them or wipe them on a towel and wipe my mat down. >>>> Yoga socks! They are kinda like slipper socks. Socks with grip!
  • lumina0o0
    lumina0o0 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I personally hate yoga x. (too many sun salutations in the beginning makes me light headed) See if maybe you can sit in on the yoga class to see if it's something you think you can do. I traded out yoga x on days that I was supposed to do yoga and she shows other moves you can do if you can't quite manage the "real" poses. maybe try putting a towel down on your mat when your doing things with your hands on the mat like Aaron does in ab ripper (he has a towel down so that when he lays down his sweaty back goes on the towel instead of the mat.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Take a beginner class! I have done them at both yoga studios and the community college.

I found it to be really helpful to get an idea of the poses, and the instructor will correct your form! The beginner classes may or may not use props to help you get into position. (There is controversy about the props, but I found you grow out of them faster than you expect.)

- not being able to do the majority of the poses or modify them and having to walk out half way through. >>> class will help, instructor will show you mods. Start with beginning yoga
    - injuring myself again (my hips can't handle going from plank to downward dog, and that seems to be a common move in yoga?) >>> every class I have taken, the instructor has had some time at the beginning for people to talk about any potential issues so they could recommend mods. I have done classes that haven't gone as advanced as downward dog. :)
    - exposing my tummy flab when in a pose (I'm a shirt/pants tugger, and still very self-conscious about unsightly rolls or skin being exposed, it's something that I'm working on getting over) >>> hmmm, I don't have this problem, but I think most of my shirts are too snug to move. Heheh. Do you wear shirts with stretch? They stay put. I usually get the basic tees from target or old navy, and they seem to stay mostly in place.
    - sweating too much and slipping all over my mat, and potentially falling on someone else in class. I don't know if my palms and feet are more prone to getting sweatier than the average person, but this happened quite a few times at home and I had to keep stopping to wash them or wipe them on a towel and wipe my mat down. >>>> Yoga socks! They are kinda like slipper socks. Socks with grip!

Thanks, this helps! I just don't feel comfortable yet in shirts that stretch and cling to my stomach area, so right now it's baggy t-shirts for me, and those aren't ideal for yoga, so I guess it's time to go shopping until I find a good solution
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I was at my local rec center the other day and I was working out in the gym. They came in and mentioned that a yoga class was starting at noon. so I decided to go in. It was very slow pace, all older men and women, and very relaxed. Maybe you could check at your local center for any classes, i'm sure you can try one out to see how you like it. And also, the community college yoga classes are a great idea!
  • MariarR33
    MariarR33 Posts: 69
    Options
    Yoga X is very difficult. It causes most people to sweat. I have been going to a Yoga class for about a month and it's pretty good. There are no fast movements, so I don't sweat. A beginners class will have you move slowly so you can learn the moves and gradually get better. I wouldn't worry about the others in the class. They are all there for the same reason you are and are most likely not watching what you are doing. Keep focused on yourself and you should do fine.
  • JoJoPi
    JoJoPi Posts: 4
    Options
    As many others have said, find a beginners class. I am quite heavy and have no problem doing any of the yoga poses in beginners yoga. I am amazed at how flexible I have become because of yoga. It's a great workout for mind,body and even spirit.
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Yoga X is awesome, but it is a little more challenging if you've never done any yoga before. You'ev already gotten some excellent advice, so I only have one thing to add. If you'd like to continue yoga at home that is awesome. I practice almost daily and I love the 20-30 mins alone on my mat. I do think it is a good idea to take a few classes to get a good idea of what you need to do in the poses. It takes a little time to figure out how your body should feel in the pose. A few classes with a great instructor will be worth your time.

Good luck!
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options

Thanks, this helps! I just don't feel comfortable yet in shirts that stretch and cling to my stomach area, so right now it's baggy t-shirts for me, and those aren't ideal for yoga, so I guess it's time to go shopping until I find a good solution

Get the yoga tops (that are spanexy) and wear it under your tshirt. :)

More coverage for when you are upside down....but you aren't walking around in it either. :D
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone for all the advice. My gym offers a yoga class and a class called "breathe" which is yoga & pilates, but i'm not sure if they're beginner level, I'm going to check it out.