is weight watchers better

Options
my mum and sister are doing weightwatcher they have 29 points and 49 extra a week they seem to be able to eat weigh more than me (including wine by the bottle at weekends) and are losing more weight than me. So my question is how do the points equate to calories as thinking of switching?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It's the same concept. Points are calories. Weight loss is determined by so many factors it's hard to compare. Do they have more weight to lose than you? Are they more active then you? Maybe you set your goal to be too aggressive, like shooting for 2 lbs a week when you should be 1 lb per week.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    WW is just a fancy, easy, paid form of calorie counting.

This works just as well if you work it correctly.
  • cmayfield3
    cmayfield3 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    WW points are about 40 calories each. (Can be less, can be more, but average about 40). So they are eating 36 points/day on average, that's about 1440 calories. Plus fruit and vegetables are free, figure a couple hundred more calories per day so roughly 1650 calories.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    NO. 29 pts is more than 1200 cals for one, 1400 is a good estimate. I counted mine on Feb 8 and for 29 pts+ I had 1393 cals,27g fat, 190g carbs, 1881 gr protein and 36g fiber.

You get extra points but those are supposed to be for exercise or as a cheat and as long as you are under maintenance you’ll still lose - you can do the same with MFP. Converting cals to WW pts is quite tedious so it’s easier to count cals (pts are just marketing after all and if it’s the support/knowledge system you need, it’s called MFP and its free!
  • radiva1
    radiva1 Posts: 27
    Options
    MFP is better to me; i just came off WW and i lost 6 pounds but in 2 MONTHS! Just counting calories here is easier for me and the support is AWESOME
  • misticache
    misticache Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    bump
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    This site has taught me WAY more about nutrition than weight watchers ever did. I've learned to look at sodium, protein, sugar and fibre to help me get my body where I want it to be. Weight watchers is no longer based on calories, the new points program did away with that, and I found it annoying, I don't want to have to pull out a calculator every time I want to see how many points something is. I found MFP cheaper, easier, and more helpful. I've had more of a steady weight loss here, no yo-yoing.

but that's just my 2 cents.
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I did weight watchers before I came to MFP. I did it for a year and it really didn't do much for me at all. I yo-yo'd up and down with the same 10 pounds for that year, but made no real progress. I've done much better at MFP with the support I get here. I think it's just a matter of what works best for each person.
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I've done WW for a really long time before switching to MFP for a change. The new plan has much more emphasis on nutritional content and guides users more towards healthier choices. It's a good plan, but just like anything else, you get out what you put in. There is no one-size-fits-all diet plan: WW might work for your family, it might work for you. Same goes for MFP. Regardless of what you do, you have to do it 100%.

And stop comparing your WL to others! Own your own journey, do what you need to do for yourself.
  • SunnyAndrsn
    SunnyAndrsn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    This site has taught me WAY more about nutrition than weight watchers ever did. I've learned to look at sodium, protein, sugar and fibre to help me get my body where I want it to be. Weight watchers is no longer based on calories, the new points program did away with that, and I found it annoying, I don't want to have to pull out a calculator every time I want to see how many points something is. I found MFP cheaper, easier, and more helpful. I've had more of a steady weight loss here, no yo-yoing.

I agree with this. I did WW on the old points program, and didn't learn a thing about protein, fat, and carb balance. I looked at the three components of fat, calories, and fiber (which is how the points are calculated) and I always looked for the lowest point foods--regardless of the nutritional content
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    they calculate the points from calories and saturated fat - don't know the exact formula though. my mum is a ww fanatic and has been for years - she doesn't seem to wonder why she piles the weight back on and has to go back. there will be exceptions but most ww 'teachers' don't give any advice about getting a healthy, balanced diet - as long as your under your points( you can eat a packet of rich tea biscuits and nothing else if you want if it fits in your points). MFP is similair as you are logging calories not points - but it also gives you a good idea of how much of each foodgroup you should aim for and there is great advice and support on this forum.

i am not a fan of the 'low-fat' way of thinking. fat is a food group too and MFP won't tell you to replace it with salt and sugar like ww seems to.
  • Kittymutt
    Kittymutt Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Pretty much how I feel about it. I tried Weight Watchers by using my Mom's booklet and other information she got when she was actively in it. I did lose weight, but I agree it's very annoying to have to figure out how many points and such for every food you eat. Typing it in the computer, using the calorie slide-like thing to see how many points it's worth, etc. Urgh.

I find counting calories is much easier than all that extra point crap. I don't want to spend 1/3 of my day calculating how many points are in my food. On here it's nice since it automatically does it for you. All the nutrition needs part is just a bonus.

So I'd say MFP is better. Though, the only thing I could really think that Weight Watchers has that MFP doesn't have is the in person meetings. I've never personally been to one, though, so I can't vouch for if it's anymore helpful or not.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    I think weight watchers would be more convenient because they use a simpler approach to food decision making and tracking. I always thought the simpler the approach, the most likely it is to success long term. I think weight watchers does have one of the best track records out there.
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Points are now calculated based on protein, fat, carbs, and fiber. It's not as simple as it used to be.
  • GlitterGoldJem
    GlitterGoldJem Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have friends on WW and while they have had amazing results I find they are absolutely insane with it. They fret over the slightest thing and when the holidays, vacations or busy times of life come around they seem to put weight back on. Plus at weight-in's if they put on .2 of a lb they are nuts with themselves. It's just not normal to me where MFP is NORMAL. The breakdown is great and if you're the type of person that isn't aware of calories or a calorie reader, MFP really opens your eyes to it.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about WW, but one of my coworkers and his wife join WW a few times. I find that they never learn to eat well because they buy the WW foods. Maybe it's different if you are converting calories to points. But they would lose weight and then stop, and gain again. So I think you (general you) are better off learning to eat good wholesome foods and counting calories.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about WW, but one of my coworkers and his wife join WW a few times. I find that they never learn to eat well because they buy the WW foods. Maybe it's different if you are converting calories to points. But they would lose weight and then stop, and gain again. So I think you (general you) are better off learning to eat good wholesome foods and counting calories.

Oh my goodness I totally hadn't thought of WW food in a long time (there isn't much of it available here in Canada) but I remember trying a few things and they had SOOOO many chemicals in them, the carrot cake left a weird tingly feeling in my mouth. I remember throwing the rest of the package out because it weirded me out so much lol
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

Oh my goodness I totally hadn't thought of WW food in a long time (there isn't much of it available here in Canada) but I remember trying a few things and they had SOOOO many chemicals in them, the carrot cake left a weird tingly feeling in my mouth. I remember throwing the rest of the package out because it weirded me out so much lol

They sure are loaded with chemicals. Another coworkers and I were looking at the ingredients, and we were like WTF do they need these stuffs.
  • thinnerisstronger
    thinnerisstronger Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers doesn't teach you how to eat well therefore the weight loss isn't always sustainable. WW is just a brand. All they want is for you to buy their food and as long as they have your money, they don't give a damn if you're learning about healthy choices. Do your own research and learn about healthy eating to create a lifestyle change that will keep the weight off. Your body will thank you. :)

and ps: after creating a healthy change (which means quitting alcohol) you won't even miss that glass of wine. I know that for me, even the thought of drinking just one glass makes me feel sick. It has no nutritional value, so why should I put it in my body?
  • sylvuz323
    sylvuz323 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    WW does focus on eating well and it will help with portion control. The concepts are basically the same, just that WW now uses a new point system based on the Carbs/Fat/Protein and Fiber. WW isn't like the Nutrisystem or Jenny Craig's those are pushing their foods. Though you will get those emails whenever they have specials going on. I also liked that I did it all online. They will definitely focus on eating lean meats, fruits and vegetables. WW also has plenty of articles, so that you can gain lots of information.

I started on WW and was very successful (lost 63 lbs), I did gain back 20 but it was due to having abdominal surgery and I wasn't focused on maintaining, my bad. I made the switch cause MFP is free, can't beat that. It sounds like you have some support if you consider using WW, which is always helpful. But you can also get there using MFP and its free, double check your calorie in take cause you should also be able to enjoy some wine on occassion. I know I had to readjust my calories on here, since my weight wasn't moving.