finding gluten ammount?

Options
How come it's not listed on my flour? I'm making bread and was curious about my wheat flower vs white flour. How do you find out how much is in it?

Replies

• AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I'm gluten free. I've never seen gluten ratings, I do know some flours have more gluten in them than others (semolina flour used for pizza crust for example and other doughs that require more elasticity) have more gluten. For my purposes it either has it and we can't eat it in my house, or it doesn't have it and it's safe. But, I would bet you can find a ranking system on the googles.
  • monocot
    monocot Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Hard flour, or bread flour, is high in gluten, with 12% to 14% gluten content, and has elastic toughness that holds its shape well once baked

Flour made from all parts of the grain (extraction rate: ... ~0.8%, ~14%, high gluten flour, 812, 80, 1. ~1%, ~15%, first clear flour, 1050, 110, 2. >1.5%, ~13%, white whole wheat
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    My guess would be to search for the average amount of gluten in the type of flour you're using. A bunch of stuff came up when I typed "how much gluten is in whole wheat flour" into Google.

I don't think it's specifically listed on the package already is because unless you're trying to avoid it, most people don't even realise it's in there. (I say that as someone who has a wheat gluten sensitivity. When I tell people that I can't eat white flour because of the wheat gluten, they ask me if I can eat whole wheat instead because it's healthier. Double no.)

I would guess that it's also kind of like why most milk doesn't have a casein content or a whey percentage listed on the carton. It's in there, but again, unless you have an allergy to it, most people aren't even aware it exists.
  • splashangel
    splashangel Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    That's pretty interesting... I've just heard so much lately on gluten and products leap out at me" NOW GLUTEN FREE" . I have 7 open bags of flour and thought I would see what brand had the highest ammount of gluten and try and use them up. Just one of those things that happens in a day. Thanks for the feed back.And for overlooking flower instead of flour. :0 )