Any Indian food fans?

Options
Tim964
Tim964 Posts: 36 Member
I found this recipe on recipezaar and gave it a try this weelend. It was great, and I will absolutely be making it again. I servied it over brown rice with a side of steamed green beans. Mmmmm.

Authentic Indian Chicken Curry
Makes 6 servings

Ingredients
1-1 1/4 lb of cubed chicken tenders
4 tablespoons olive oil (I only used 2 tablespoons of oil)
2 cinnamon sticks
2 teaspoons cumin seeds
6 cloves
1 large yellow onion, diced
7 roma tomatoes, diced up (I used fresh, but you could use canned tomatoes with no ill effect)
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
2 teaspoons minced green chilies
1 tablespoon minced gingerroot
3 garlic cloves, minced
1-2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon dry coriander powder
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon red cayenne pepper or paprika
1 teaspoon dry cumin powder
1 teaspoon garam masala powder
1 tablespoon butter (I left this out)
1 cup water

Directions
In a large pot, heat oil and cinnamon sticks, cumin seeds, cloves for 1 minute, before they began to get dark add onions. Sautee' onions for 1 minute on medium high heat, add chicken tender cubes. Cook that stirring occasionally for 3-5 minutes. Add rest of the ingredients (saving a small amount of the cilantro for garnish at end). Stir and simmer on medium-low for 15 minutes. Then serve over rice. (note - remove cinammon sticks before serving and warn people that they may chomp down on a clove!)

The original recipe says you may add more tomato sauce, or water depending on how chunky you want the curry sauce, but it was watery enough as is. I may actually think about adding a little cornstarch slurry to slightly thicken the sauce the next time I make it.

Nutrition info as calculated by recipezaar including full amount of olive oil and butter (6 servings) - 226 calories, 12.5 fat (2.8 saturated, 7.5 mono, 1.5 poly, 0 trans), 48 cholesterol, 659 sodium, 595 potassium, 10 carbs, 2.2 fiber, 4.8 sugar, 19.3 protein.

Replies

• Tim964
    Tim964 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I found this recipe on recipezaar and gave it a try this weelend. It was great, and I will absolutely be making it again. I servied it over brown rice with a side of steamed green beans. Mmmmm.

Authentic Indian Chicken Curry
    Makes 6 servings

Ingredients
    1-1 1/4 lb of cubed chicken tenders
    4 tablespoons olive oil (I only used 2 tablespoons of oil)
    2 cinnamon sticks
    2 teaspoons cumin seeds
    6 cloves
    1 large yellow onion, diced
    7 roma tomatoes, diced up (I used fresh, but you could use canned tomatoes with no ill effect)
    1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
    2 teaspoons minced green chilies
    1 tablespoon minced gingerroot
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    1-2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    1 tablespoon dry coriander powder
    1 teaspoon turmeric
    1 teaspoon red cayenne pepper or paprika
    1 teaspoon dry cumin powder
    1 teaspoon garam masala powder
    1 tablespoon butter (I left this out)
    1 cup water

Directions
    In a large pot, heat oil and cinnamon sticks, cumin seeds, cloves for 1 minute, before they began to get dark add onions. Sautee' onions for 1 minute on medium high heat, add chicken tender cubes. Cook that stirring occasionally for 3-5 minutes. Add rest of the ingredients (saving a small amount of the cilantro for garnish at end). Stir and simmer on medium-low for 15 minutes. Then serve over rice. (note - remove cinammon sticks before serving and warn people that they may chomp down on a clove!)

The original recipe says you may add more tomato sauce, or water depending on how chunky you want the curry sauce, but it was watery enough as is. I may actually think about adding a little cornstarch slurry to slightly thicken the sauce the next time I make it.

Nutrition info as calculated by recipezaar including full amount of olive oil and butter (6 servings) - 226 calories, 12.5 fat (2.8 saturated, 7.5 mono, 1.5 poly, 0 trans), 48 cholesterol, 659 sodium, 595 potassium, 10 carbs, 2.2 fiber, 4.8 sugar, 19.3 protein.
  • skinnymel
    skinnymel Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!! I'll be making this in the week.
    I will post a Palak Paneer later that is also delicious.
  • fiddlechic
    fiddlechic Posts: 196
    Options
    OMG i love indian food. i practically eat it everyday. I buy the ethnic gourmet or amy's brand. vegetable korma will be my lunch today.
  • jennarandhayes
    jennarandhayes Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Sounds delicious! I :heart: Indian food. Lately I have made Aloo Gobi (I usually throw in some frozen peas) and chickpea patties. YUM! I will definitely be trying your recipe.
  • sherryd
    sherryd Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am relatively new to the site and would love your Ali Gobi recipe. Has it been posted? If not please share.
  • icandoallthings
    icandoallthings Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Oh...YUM! Looks delicioso!
    I :heart: Indian food too (even though my hubby won't touch it with
    a 10-foot pole). :ohwell:

Thx for the recipe! I'm craving Naan right now.........:blushing: