Free Standing Broom...

Options
daybyday
daybyday Posts: 537 Member
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/photos/edit

Has anybody tried this? I can't scientifically explain this but it has something to do with the equinox. Pretty cool stuff!!

Replies

• WonderNoodle
    Options
    I forgot last night! AH! I wanted to try a broom and egg.
  • HoLLyZ82
    HoLLyZ82 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Ive had mine standing by itself for awhile now while at work....although i think you can do it any day of the year
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    Wait, what?
  • Hoegers
    Hoegers Posts: 17
    Options
    My daughters did it Monday night. They thought it was the coolest thing. They wanted to leave it in the middle of the living room to see how long it would stay. However three dogs are a greater force than the equinox apparently, as it didn't last. :-)
  • scubahsteve69
    scubahsteve69 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Don't mean to be a spoil sport buuuuut.....If the moon's pull was enough to cancel the force of gravity and make brooms spontaneously stand up, they would also be able to float. The broom can stand by itself, because the center of gravity is directly above the edge on which it balances. And the bristles are soft enough to spread out a bit at the contact point with the floor and provide a stable base to support the handle and allow the broom to balance. The equinox is simply the suns relation to earth as it crosses over the equator 2 times a year, giving us the same amount of time for both day and night.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Yeah you can do it any time of year. It looks freaky! But once you do it, it's easy to understand how it works. Just hard to imagine.
  • HoLLyZ82
    HoLLyZ82 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Don't mean to be a spoil sport buuuuut.....If the moon's pull was enough to cancel the force of gravity and make brooms spontaneously stand up, they would also be able to float. The broom can stand by itself, because the center of gravity is directly above the edge on which it balances. And the bristles are soft enough to spread out a bit at the contact point with the floor and provide a stable base to support the handle and allow the broom to balance. The equinox is simply the suns relation to earth as it crosses over the equator 2 times a year, giving us the same amount of time for both day and night.
    boom!
  • rundgrenfan
    rundgrenfan Posts: 211
    Options
    http://www.snopes.com/science/equinox.asp

My daughter's science teacher did it yesterday. I sincerely hope she did it as a joke!