MFP Runners Club 5/4

Options
SherryRH
SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
Ok so I didnt get to run the Broad Street 10 miler yesterday and I was kinda bummed about it. When I told my husband I was upset about not being able to run, he laughed and said "You're upset about not being able to run 10 miles? Where the heck is my wife?" What can I say. I did go down and cheer my fellow runners on though. Heather I saw you cross the finish line.:wink: Did you see me cheering you on? :laugh: Nice finish time.

I am taking it easy since I sprained by ankle almost 3 weeks ago. Did 2 miles today after an hour of bootcamp. The ankle felt ok but I could tell I haven't run for almost 3 weeks. I don't want to push too hard because I want my ankle to heal right. I will start training for the ING Philly 1/2 sometime in June and I want to be 100%. I would like to take 15-20 minutes off of last year's time and not be injured at the finish line like last year either.

Ok, enough of my rambling......... :smokin: Everyone get out there and have a great run.

Replies

• SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Ok so I didnt get to run the Broad Street 10 miler yesterday and I was kinda bummed about it. When I told my husband I was upset about not being able to run, he laughed and said "You're upset about not being able to run 10 miles? Where the heck is my wife?" What can I say. I did go down and cheer my fellow runners on though. Heather I saw you cross the finish line.:wink: Did you see me cheering you on? :laugh: Nice finish time.

I am taking it easy since I sprained by ankle almost 3 weeks ago. Did 2 miles today after an hour of bootcamp. The ankle felt ok but I could tell I haven't run for almost 3 weeks. I don't want to push too hard because I want my ankle to heal right. I will start training for the ING Philly 1/2 sometime in June and I want to be 100%. I would like to take 15-20 minutes off of last year's time and not be injured at the finish line like last year either.

Ok, enough of my rambling......... :smokin: Everyone get out there and have a great run.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    No run today!! But I can't believe how GREAT I feel from my half marathon on Sat. I know that I trained smart. I HIGHLY recommend the FIRST training from runnersworld if anyone is wanting to train for a half. http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-244-258-9369-0,00.html

I did a cardio drill workout this morning. Just wanted some fun cardio.

And... it's my birthday! :bigsmile: 32 yrs today and in the best shape of my life! :drinker:
  • jessmomof3
    Options

Sorry you're having issues!! I hated being injured and watching other people run. I felt bad, but it was just so hard to not be out there!! I got your PM and sent you a response!

Jess
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    Happy Happy Birthday Jess!:flowerforyou:

Sherry, sorry you've hit a speed bump. Hang in there! It sounds hard but you're handling this the smart way.:heart:

I ran 3 miles today. With a sunny 75 degrees, it felt smokin' hot out!

Enjoy the day everyone,
    -Kechie.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY JESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: And congrats again for another half marathon!!!!! You are such a power house!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :drinker:

Is that the workout you sent me? I have not been doing it as planned. So far I have only been getting 2 runs a week. Yesterday I did a longer route than usual, close to 8 miles, so I did run/walk intervals. I was listening to music so I ran one song and walked the next and so on. That was the longest I have ever done. I need to find more routes and increase the distance but slowly. I definitely do not want to hurt myself.

My husband keeps warning me that I am running "too much" and that I am going to hurt my knees. He is questioning why I am challenging myself like that, what am I trying to accomplish...I understand his need to protect me and so on but I really like running and challenging myself and a goal of running a half marathon is a good way to challenge myself. I have done numerous 5ks in the past. I have not done one lately and I should. I should also find a 10k and do that before the half marathon (in Nov). What do you guys think? Are there any 40 somethings out there that are just taking up running...how do your knees feel? My knees are definitely not in the best shape, I am 45, and I have exercised all my life. I feel my knees after a hard workout/run but it is not pain, it is just bothersome, stiffness. I have been taking glucosamine for a few months now as suggested by a doctor.

Have a great day!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY JESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: And congrats again for another half marathon!!!!! You are such a power house!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :drinker:

Is that the workout you sent me? I have not been doing it as planned. So far I have only been getting 2 runs a week. Yesterday I did a longer route than usual, close to 8 miles, so I did run/walk intervals. I was listening to music so I ran one song and walked the next and so on. That was the longest I have ever done. I need to find more routes and increase the distance but slowly. I definitely do not want to hurt myself.

My husband keeps warning me that I am running "too much" and that I am going to hurt my knees. He is questioning why I am challenging myself like that, what am I trying to accomplish...I understand his need to protect me and so on but I really like running and challenging myself and a goal of running a half marathon is a good way to challenge myself. I have done numerous 5ks in the past. I have not done one lately and I should. I should also find a 10k and do that before the half marathon (in Nov). What do you guys think? Are there any 40 somethings out there that are just taking up running...how do your knees feel? My knees are definitely not in the best shape, I am 45, and I have exercised all my life. I feel my knees after a hard workout/run but it is not pain, it is just bothersome, stiffness. I have been taking glucosamine for a few months now as suggested by a doctor.

Have a great day!!!! :flowerforyou:

Thanks, girl!!! Yep, that's the plan I sent you.

Well, be careful not to jump up the mileage too quickly as that can cause injuries. Are you stretching well after each run? I do recommend taking glucosamine. I definitely think you should try to do some 5K and 10K's this summer. I know I'm planning on it! :bigsmile:
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options

Hi Alf! You look amazing!:love:

I'm almost 40 and am new to running. A couple of my runner friends are 45 and up. Both of them are better runners than me.:laugh:

Here's what I've heard:

Starting out running/walking is the best way to avoid hurting yourself.

Stretch after runs to help with stiffness.

Make sure you get professionally fitted for running shoes at a running specialty store. One where they watch you run and also determine your arch type.

Consider orthotics in your shoes b/c you don't have as much fat on the bottom of your feet as you get older. They don't have to be custom orthotics.

Do hip strengthening exercises. Some of the foot and knee issues are caused by weak hips.

You can do this and stay healthy.:drinker:
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    No run for me today - just wanted to log in and wish Jess Happy Birthday!!:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Options
    3.3 miles today. Running a 5k for charity on Saturday and learned about a 10k this summer I might try for. Reading about your races/long runs is really motivating to this newbie!
    Happy Birthday Jess!

Becky
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Thanks Kechie for your suggestions!!!! I love your smile!! I do stretch after my runs. I did run/walk intervals yesterday because I knew I was going to pay if I tried to run 8 miles. :noway: I am going to look for a 5k soon. I think I am definitely ready for that. Thanks again!! :flowerforyou:
  • gustergirl
    gustergirl Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I ran 3.2 miles on an elliptical. It has rained for 2 straight days so I thought I'd try it out!
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    No run for me today - just wanted to log in and wish Jess Happy Birthday!!:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Awww, I feel so honored!! And wanted to thank you again for the push to try the FIRST program! I am SOLD on the training!! Loved it and plan to use it again! :bigsmile:
  • sonia2
    sonia2 Posts: 154
    Options
    Got 4 miles in today!! :happy:
  • girlie1
    girlie1 Posts: 46
    Options
    4 miles, hey everyone i've been gone a while... happy b-day jess
  • hessied
    hessied Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Popping in late to wish Jess a HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Sherry at least someone was there to cheer me on! :laugh: my husband tried to bring the kids down to watch the end of the race, but he had a hard time parking, gave up and drove back home. He did take pictures to prove he made an attempt!:laugh:

I ran a very slow 4 on the treadmill today just to loosen up a bit. I think all the shivering I did waiting for the train in the cold, rainy weather tightened me up pretty good. Feeling good now, though!
  • katiechakos
    katiechakos Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Hey y'all! I had zero time yesterday to log into the computer, but I did run 8 miles!
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Popping in late to wish Jess a HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Sherry at least someone was there to cheer me on! :laugh: my husband tried to bring the kids down to watch the end of the race, but he had a hard time parking, gave up and drove back home. He did take pictures to prove he made an attempt!:laugh:

I ran a very slow 4 on the treadmill today just to loosen up a bit. I think all the shivering I did waiting for the train in the cold, rainy weather tightened me up pretty good. Feeling good now, though!

Thanks!! :flowerforyou: It was a super day!