Replies

• stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,550 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later.
  • cjpg
    cjpg Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    My view is that mass awareness doesn't lead to mass action.

I hope Kony burns in brimstone for what he's done - and is doing - but can people honestly believe that someone as sickeningly terrible as Kony is STILL in a position of power to do what he does for all these years without any corruption going on?

We could all stand up and shout to the world what we want yet the only way I see this movement ever gaining traction is if it becomes a full-fledged revolution - guns blazing and all.

Anyway, this 'experiment' of a film really is effective in rallying people to a cause. It's a tool for propaganda.

What's particularly concerning for me is how mass media floods one-sided news (go to America, they focus on the American deaths - go to Afghanistan, they focus on Afghani deaths). Mass media is less effective now because most people understand this, so people rely on 'alternative media' for the 'real truth'. It's just hard to determine what the real story is behind the politicians doors.
  • Mills187
    Mills187 Posts: 171
    Options
    The whole point which was stated in the video is AWARNESS not to change the world by watching the video its to spread awarness..

Haters gonna Hate no matter what until its a situation or cause they are interested in....
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    Yea turns out the guy is a bit psycho...

http://youtu.be/TjdH2LDH5LM
  • cavemancop
    cavemancop Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I love the fact that all of these people that think that America should go and start another conflict in Africa have never served in the military in any form or facet(besides probably criticizing it). I'm sure your opinion on why we should be the world police would change if you were sent to fight a war in some hell hole on the other side of the planet.

Plus the guy that made the video is a perv weirdo
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    Money making this video could have armed the entire UPDF
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    I saw a video on FB. Now I have a cause to support.
  • GuerrillaHermit
    Options
    f5kWl.jpg
    It's to the right of the Democratic Republic of Congo, north of Rwanda and Tanzania, west of Kenya, and south of Africa's newest country, South Sudan.

Of course, my degree is in International Politics with a concentration in International Political Economies. I would be shocked if a third of the people in the States could label six nations in Africa and I'll give them South Africa, Egypt, and Madagascar to start them off.
    -wtk

challenge-accepted.jpg

In alphabetical order we have: Algeria, Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Congo (x2? I believe), Cote d'Ivoire, Djibouti, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe?

Whew... I would have never imagine having to memorize countries in 6th grade geography would have ever been useful... As for finding them on a map... I am afraid my memory is probably not THAT good... and I am sure I missed a country/state or two...
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    typical. LRA founded in the late 80's and suddenly everyone is an activist in 2012. Oil found in LRA controlled territories in 2011, Obama deploys troops to hunt Kony, and now faux-non-profits on the band wagon.

Everyone is out to make a $.

Agreed.
    Don't be a mindless follower. Although what this man doing is repulsive, just as gruesome acts are being committed in almost every 3rd world country. I am not at all advocating we sit around and do nothing, but the point of the video was not just to raise awareness, it was also to raise money- and only about 30% of invisible children donations actually get to Uganda.
  • ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    Congo (x2? I believe)

Nice job. The Republic of Congo and the Democratic Republic of Congo are different nations.

Also, South Sudan became an independent state of Sudan last summer, but I don't suspect you were in sixth grade then so I'll cut you a break on that one.
    -wtk
  • DrBentonQuest
    Options
    ...Kony 2013.