Picky Eaters!!!

Options
lsilly15
lsilly15 Posts: 137 Member
All picky eaters, please share your goto snacks and meals! I have a hard time eating 'healthy' because Im so picky. I try to eat the good stuff but I can't. I dont like Fish, broccoli, tuna, ugh.

Suggestions?

Replies

• tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Keep trying the foods you think you dislike. You'd be surprised at how much a childhood hate (for me: bell peppers, onions, black olives, etc) has totally changed and is now a food you enjoy.

Cook things differently. If you hate fried fish, try it steamed (salmon), make light fish sticks (Cooking Light has a great recipe), cook it in soup, flake it into rice. Steam broccoli instead of microwaving it, use fresh produce vs. canned or frozen. If you don't like broccoli eat sugar snap peas, snow peas, kale, cucumber, celery, green beans, green bell pepper, brussel sprouts... There are so many different types of veggies and fruits there is no way you could dislike every single item of produce.\

There are a lot of fortified things you can do to up iron, too, if you are lacking in. Orange juice and milk are two things that come to mind. Why are you so intent on eating fish? You could always take a fish oil supplement...

I like beans as an alternate lean protein, or fat free cottage cheese. I also like Weight Watchers' string cheese. Tofu is another good option, if you know how to prepare it. I like the extra firm stuff cubed with a few slices of green onion and soy sauce.

GL!
  • jenschnack
    jenschnack Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    what is your daily calorie goal? I don't eat seafood. I don't like some veggies and some fruits.
  • jjennyb4
    jjennyb4 Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    I would like to hear some suggestions as well. I am the world's pickiest eater!!! I will not touch anything out of the sea!!!!!!! If I could eat pepperoni pizza every day, I would :wink: I usually go for a chicken salad or just snack all day on yogurt, almonds, carrots, popcorn etc. Chicken is my go to meat.
  • lsilly15
    lsilly15 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    1200-1500 is my goal
  • rkgb
    rkgb Posts: 22
    Options
    It is hard to make suggestions to picky eaters because your picky (so am i) like the post above said try cooking it different ways or if you do not want to invest in a whole meal you might hate when you go out to eat ask a friend if you could try some of their offending food to see if you like the way it is prepared. Always ask before the food arrives and explain why you are asking most friends will not mind. I have gotten over a few food phobias by starting with swallow size pieces. If I can stand to swallow it maybe a can stand a larger piece so on and so on. I can now eat bell peppers yea.
    To get all the nutrition i need I take a multi-vitamin and eat fortified cereals.
    What I can't eat
    Beans - any kind cooked anyway
    Whole baked and mashed potatoes
    Many kinds of sea food but i do like some fish
    mustard
    tomatoes
    Yolks (ick) And yes you can get Mcdonalds to take it out if you ask real nice and they are not slammed
    bloody meat... shoe leather please. I don't care how nice the cut is.
    I'm sure the list is longer then this but I think that is enough for people to get the point.
    Cook at home you can control ingredients.
  • jenschnack
    Options
    Breakfasts: Homemade oatmeal bars, special k meal bars, quiches, weight control oatmeal, coffee with creamer

Lunches: Ham and Cheese sandwiches, pb or nutella sandwiches, homemade pita pizzas (I use alternative pitas, turkey pepperoni, sauce, 2% cheese), buffalo chicken pizza(hungry girl recipe), creamcheese and nutella on toast

Dinners vary - try to stay between 300-700 calories for dinner

Snacks: Emerald cocoa roasted almonds, dulce de leche cheerios, pb cheerios, AE Yo-lite yogurt, 90 calorie rice krispi bars, special k bars, nature valley bars, apples, cuties

I try to eat between 1200-1500 calories a day depends on if I workout.
  • jenschnack
    Options
    there is a hungry girl recipe for wonton pizza poppers that is really good.
    I made french dip wonton cupcakes last night.
    We eat grilled food alot.
    Chicken grilled and 1/2cup Jasmine rice
    Steak grilled and potatoes grilled in a foil pouch with a little seasoning and olive oil
  • RCSimmonds
    Options
    You know you need to try things 10 times so you get used to them - thats what they say for kids. Give things a serious go. Your tastes will change.
  • princesspeach577
    princesspeach577 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    bump
  • TitanGM
    TitanGM Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options
    Well I was really picky before.
    I wouldn't eat:
    1 - Broccoli
    2 - Spinach
    3 - Onions
    4 - Sweet potatoes (hated them)
    5 - Asparagus
    6 - Olive oil
    7 - Tuna

but you see, the problem is that your body will always love junk foods, because they do taste great, but not unless you take control over your body. Don't let your body dictate what to take. Be the boss, and take over your body. Eat what you hate the most and create good habits. Creating habits (specially healthy ones) is extremely difficult, but pays off. Your body eventually gonna learn to love what YOU make available for it.
    Just to let you know, now i eat all the foods mentioned above, and sweet potatoes are one of my fav foods and love its taste.
    Take control over yourself, be the BOSS ;)
  • paulmrice
    paulmrice Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I am a picky eater but my dislikes are mostly in the fruit/vegetable arena. I still eat a lot of meat, potatoes, etc., but I try to manage the portions, make substitutions where I can tolerate and stay away from the stuff that is really bad.

I try my best to stay away from fried chicken, pizzas, gumbo, hamburgers (unless I make them), and my favorite Little Debbie cakes.

I don't usually mind my fruits if in smoothie form, so I do try to work those in occasionally. I like many of the Atkins Advantage bars for snacks or meal replacement. Johnsonville makes turkey sausage links that I think are head and shoulders above any others I've found - this alone has probably saved me many calories because I was a sausage junkie. I eat a lot of eggs and usually work in small amounts of bacon or turkey sausage to eat with them. Whole grain waffles, pancakes, and breads when possible. There are also many good low calorie ice cream snacks by Weight Watchers.
  • hdlb123
    hdlb123 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I'm a terribly picky eater too. I will not eat: fast food meats (burgers, chicken etc) any frozen meal, frozen nuggets/chicken, lunch meat, canned fish, beans, soy, cauliflower, hamburger, chicken thighs/legs/wings. The list goes on.

I take the things I do like and work with them. Lots of cheese, chicken, fruit, snap peas/carrots, berries. I do manage to eat fairly clean, whole wheat breads, salads, almonds, I make our own whole wheat pizzas and muffins etc. I don't get bored of eating the same thing all the time though, which helps.

I also agree that if you keep trying things you might find something new you like. I now like orange peppers. Hated them 3 months ago.
  • missbethea
    missbethea Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I'm a picky eater, too.

My go-to snacks include:
    -Cinnamon Apple Straws (those are delicious!)
    -Rice cakes (chocolate or apple cinnamon)
    -Fruits (bananas, apples, pineapple most often)
    -Popcorn (I have 100 calorie snack bags of popcorn)
    -Granola Bars
    -Sometime's I'll get half of a peanut butter sandwich
    -Crackers, like wheat crackers or Mozzarella Sun-Dried Tomato which are amazing little crackers

They also make 100 calorie snack bags of cookies & stuff.
  • k8bugz
    k8bugz Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I used to be a really picky eater too! It took a while but I've worked past some of my picky-ness. I tried to identify what it was exactly I didn't like about a certain food. For example, eating baby spinach, especially raw, made me gag. I finally realized it was the stems and the size of the leaves. So for a while I would take the time to de-stem spinach and then cut it into smaller pieces and slowly incorporate more and more into my salads. While I still don't really like the stems, now it's my go-to leafy green, which is awesome because it has so many health benefits. I still don't really like the texture of beans but I'll eat small amounts mixed with other foods. I try to think about all the protein I'm getting from beans (because I don't eat meat very often), so I focus on the good things it's doing for my body.

Like other people have said, I think it's important to train yourself to be open to new foods. Especially vegetables! It takes some time and experimentation, and it's not always easy, but it's worth it. There's some amazing tasting food that can do wonders for your health out there!