Natural sugars...

Options
2»

Replies

• Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Old school or not--sugar is sugar. Source doesn't change how your body processes it and the body doesn't know what it came from.

Source absolutely changes how your body processes it. The context of the meal or foodstuff in which it's eaten affects the digestive absorption rate, the insulinemic and glycemic responses, and the likelihood of storage or oxidation. Considering sugar eaten in the context of a fruit the same as sugar eaten in a processed product with other refined carbs is, pun intended, apples and oranges.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I don't worry too much about fruit - it comes in a neat package with lots of goodies like fibre and vitamins and other good stuff.
    Much better to be eating this that lollies or cakes that come in a neat package with lots of highly processed starches and minimal nutritional value relative to calories.
    Australian guidelines suggest 2 fruit and 5 veg every day which seems to me to be a sensible amount.
  • Embell0830
    Embell0830 Posts: 105
    Options
    Old school or not--sugar is sugar. Source doesn't change how your body processes it and the body doesn't know what it came from.

Source absolutely changes how your body processes it. The context of the meal or foodstuff in which it's eaten affects the digestive absorption rate, the insulinemic and glycemic responses, and the likelihood of storage or oxidation. Considering sugar eaten in the context of a fruit the same as sugar eaten in a processed product with other refined carbs is, pun intended, apples and oranges.

You're both right in away. The source does matter as to how the body breaks down the food to get to the processing point, but once the body breaks it down to the sugar level and has used the fiber, water etc, the body sees it as sugar no matter where it came from. and will process it all the same.

Let's say you ate a dark chocolate covered strawberry. After your body breaks down the food and it takes the fiber from the strawberries and the antioxidants from the dark chocolate and all that is left is the sugar. The body doesn't go, "Ok I've got sugar here 20% came from the strawberry I ate and 80% came from that dark chocolate, let me process it accordingly" The body sees it as sugar and knows no difference.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    You're both right in away. The source does matter as to how the body breaks down the food to get to the processing point, but once the body breaks it down to the sugar level and has used the fiber, water etc, the body sees it as sugar no matter where it came from. and will process it all the same.

Let's say you ate a dark chocolate covered strawberry. After your body breaks down the food and it takes the fiber from the strawberries and the antioxidants from the dark chocolate and all that is left is the sugar. The body doesn't go, "Ok I've got sugar here 20% came from the strawberry I ate and 80% came from that dark chocolate, let me process it accordingly" The body sees it as sugar and knows no difference.

Well, yes, but that's such a generalized comment it doesn't really mean much when it comes to being helpful for health or weight loss. If you want to think in general terms absolutely everything you eat gets either:

1) excreted
    2) oxidized
    3) stored as adipose, lean mass, or glycogen

But you don't go around saying every single thing you can put in your mouth should be viewed as practically identical because they suffer the same final fates.
  • mrsdizzyd84
    mrsdizzyd84 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm not going to stop eating fruit just because it's got some sugar in it. There are far too many health benefits such as vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants to even think of cutting them out. At the end of the day you have to ask yourself what is more important to you, becoming thin or becoming healthy.
  • Woooolywool
    Woooolywool Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm not going to stop eating fruit just because it's got some sugar in it. There are far too many health benefits such as vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants to even think of cutting them out. At the end of the day you have to ask yourself what is more important to you, becoming thin or becoming healthy.

This has definitely put the most perspective on the topic so far, I think. (Not to say that the other comments aren't helpful or anything..) I always feel in danger of falling in to that healthy vs. thin trap. Of course health is my priority. Thank you! :)
  • Embell0830
    Embell0830 Posts: 105
    Options

You should definitely eat fruit like you said all the healthy benefits you get from it, but diabetics like my mom Type 2 diabetes and my best friend who has type 1 and type 2 diabetes do need to watch how much fruit they eat due to sugar. Someone like myself needs to be mindful of my sugars in processed foods because I have PCOS.

Everyone is a little different and needs to tweak their diets accordingly. I can only say what has worked for me and others in my life. Heck even doctors vary on what the say diabetic patients should and shouldn't eat.