NROLFW Home Weight Room Advice?

Options
OK MFP, I listened and I got the New Rules of Lifting for Women! I read the book and promptly decided the weight room at my gym was too small, inadequate, and overcrowded (local Y). I checked out the other gyms in my neighborhood and they are so expensive, I decided it was more cost-effective to set up my own home gym—something I’ve always wanted to do anyway.

I’ve made a shopping list based on my read of NROLFW and some articles on bodybuilding.com about home gym equipment. I plan to do most of my shopping on Craigslist and, based on my initial research, I think I can get what I need for about $500. Here’s what I have now and my shopping list, in order of priority with anticipated costs (for used equipment).

Already have:

40lb Adjustable Dumbbells
Large empty space in basement with low ceiling (Option A)
Extra bedroom that’s almost empty (would have to keep a dresser or two) (Option B)

Want/Need:

Olympic Barbell w/ Plates ($100)
Squat Rack/Power Cage ($100 – 200)
Step Up Block (Free - $40)
Adjustable Bench ($50 – 75)
Medicine Ball ($10 – 20)
Stability Ball ($20)
Free-standing Pull Up Bar ($100 – 150)

Maybe someday:

200 lb Dumbbell Set ($100 - 200)
Basic machines for lat pull downs and rows

I would greatly appreciate any and all advice—did I miss something in making my list, what should I look for in terms of quality, are there certain brands I should look for or avoid, is there any reason to buy new versus used?

Also, I have two major concerns about the home gym scenario: 1) the ceiling in my basement is low enough I think it will restrict overhead lifting—should I use the spare bedroom or just go to the gym when I want some headroom? 2) is it wise to use a book and a home gym to start NROLFW or should I spend some time with a gym employee or even a do a personal training session first? I have used dumbbells plenty in the past and I've done billions of squats, but I have never used a barbell and "lifting heavy" is totally new to me.

Sorry for the long post and thank you in advance for any advice!

Replies