Body Media Fit Questions...

Options
I don't have one yet, but I'm seriously considering getting one. Before I spend the money I have a few questions:

1. Can you just log everything on MFP and not on the body media site and just use it to give you your true burn? For example, if I enter all my food here and just add in whatever extra calories the BMF shows I've burned as exercise calories, would that work or do you HAVE to log food info into BMF for it to stay accurate?

2. Can anybody tell me whether they prefer the "Link" vs the "Core". Not sure if I need real time displays for an extra $50-$70.

3. Is it very bulky? Would I be able to wear it under my business casual attire at work without it being super obtrusive?

Replies

• JhKd
    JhKd Posts: 20
    Options
    Hi, I'm not an expert, but I have been wearing a Body Media Fit Core for about 12 days now.

1. I log all of my food on MFP. Then I take my final count and go the BMF site and enter a "Daily Estimate", where it just takes your word for the calories for the day. Then it shows your burn from the armband, the calories consumed that you entered based on the tracking at MFP and your deficit/surplus for the day. I don't really bother tracking my exercise on MFP any more, but MFP's food tracking is 1000x easier/better than BMF's. As long as my BMF deficit is about 1000-1500 calories/day, I'm happy.

2. I only have the core, so can't really comment on the Link, but I don't have a smart phone, etc to connect the link to anyway. After the novelty wears off the first couple days, you can upload a couple times or once a day and it's fine. I generally upload about 3x a day. Once mid-morning at work, in the evening when I get home from work, and before bed. The morning one lets me know how I did at the gym that morning, The evening one lets me know how I did the rest of the day (and how much dinner/snacks I have left), and the one before bed is kind of a check on how the day ended up. It will estimate the rest of the day for you, and that is generally pretty accurate (usually estimates about 100cal high), but you can get a good idea of where the day will end up.

3. I don't find it bulky or obtrusive at all.

It's a great motivator. Highly recommended.
  • MenaMena
    MenaMena Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    ditto responses to JhKd. It is motivating.
  • Jazzyjules71
    Jazzyjules71 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I had similar questions.....and will contribute as a new user. I got the Fit Link a bit ago, and have worn it about 2 weeks total. (on vacation in there, so it wasn't all successive). I LOVE it, it's so motivating and I know where I"m at with activity. Just yesterday I drove a few hours to see my gramma, and at noon checked my numbers and had only done 800 steps. Well, I know my day was going to be pretty sedate, so I took 4 mini walks when I could and got my steps to 9000. I would never have done that without the bodymedia.

I love being able to link it to my phone......but that's me. I always have my phone, and since I don't work by a computer regularly I use my phone to check it periodically. And I also check it right before and after a workout to see how much I burned. So I linked it today at my friends before we walked, and I link it at the gym b efore I work out (since I have my phone for my ipod use). So it depends on your life and your priorities. But I am definitely happy I paid the extra to do it. If you decide you want it, just verify your phone works with it. I think some versions don't link with it (iphone 4gs maybe??) anyway, verify your device works.

As far as bulkiness, I think it's ok. The widest point is 2 1/2 inches in the faceplate, the total depth it sits off your arm is 1/2 inch. You couldn't wear skin tight clothes without noticing, but if they're even a little loose I'm sure you wouldn't notice. But I wear a lab coat all day so I know for sure mine is never seen.

I do what the others said......log on MFP and put it in as one meal on the bodymedia web site. Then I track my calories on there, as far as net intake and output etc. But to be honest, I haven't gotten into that much yet. I need to do that.

I also like the feature of tracking my sleep. It's been eye opening to correlate my fatigue with how much I wake up at night.

Oh and one more thing, I realized I burn way more calories a day than what MFP told me I should, so that explains why I was crabby, irritable, and starving when I stuck to 1200-1300 calories a day. I burn about 3000 calories a day so need to eat more than 1200.

Good luck with your decision, and friend me if you want!

Julie
  • DoubleE615312
    DoubleE615312 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Agree with Julie! Count here calories here, log onetime daily on BMF. I have the link and it's nice to look at it through out the day. I only sync mine 2x a week. I don't find mine bulky and after about a week wearing it you will forget you have it on.
  • huntindawg1962
    huntindawg1962 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I have the Link. Been using it for about two months but was a bodybugg user for the year or so previous. If you don't care about seeing the numbers on your smart phone then the CORE is smaller. In hindsight, I rarely use the iPhone link so the core would work for me too. The LINK is not too bulky so it is up to you on preference. I wear it on my left arm but at times put it on my left calf when wearing a short sleeve shirt and don't see any accuracy difference.

I like that it also shows sleep efficiency. And I will say when I know I was awake at night it also shows that I was awake so it is reasonably accurate.

I dont log food on their site - I use MFP for that as it is MUCH easier. When I want to see it on one place I just enter the total calories as a lump sum on the BodyMedia site. Good barometer tool.