Muscle Does NOT Weigh More Than Fat

Options

Replies

• mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    Since we are ditching myths add this one in--

Fat turning into Muscle that is a huge myth- that people try to say when losing weight and the scale goes up they say oh your just turning it into muscle thats a damn lie- fat and muscle are 2 different things.

There is fat. There is muscle. They are two completely different things that can NOT magically become each other. The only thing fat can do is increase and decrease. The only thing muscle can do is increase and decrease. At no point can they change into each other. Only a proper diet plan and/or cardio workout will help with losing the fat, and only a proper diet plan and weight training workout will help with gaining the muscle.
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    All someone using the phrase has to do is add "by volume" to the end of it.

Here's my pet peeve....

Person A just started exercising for the past week. Gained a pound.

Person B says, "Oh you've probably just gained muscle..."

Really?! In a week? And a female? It's just not that easy to gain muscle, especially a whole pound of it.

:laugh: :laugh:

This is my other pet peeve that goes hand in hand with the Article that I inserted. It is one of those irritiating things, LOL.

I found that when I first start exercising, during the first week and shortly there after my clothes temporarily get tighter than they were.............then they start getting looser and looser, it takes about 3 weeks for me to start showing a difference.........

But, I build muscle pretty fast as I have PCOS and the extra estrogen my body makes converts over to Testosterone and that allows for me to be a pretty bulky woman. :mad:
  • codykitty
    codykitty Posts: 729
    Options
    Just remember...you guys have been on this site for a long time and discussed these topics frequently. Sometimes new members join and have the questions you had when you 1st joined. I know sometimes it gets repetitive, but they are genuine questions and concerns that these new members have....try to be gentle.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    please do not breed
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    Since we are ditching myths add this one in--

Fat turning into Muscle that is a huge myth- that people try to say when losing weight and the scale goes up they say oh your just turning it into muscle thats a damn lie- fat and muscle are 2 different things

Ha ha.........I forget about hearing this one all the time.............

And another myth, don't go outside without a coat on, you will catch a cold. Um, no.........I can go outside naked (not that I would do that with my hideous body) and not get sick. I have to get germs to get sick.
  • codykitty
    Options
    please do not breed

me?
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    please do not breed

Who are you talking to Dave?
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    please do not breed

myself

always myself
  • codykitty
    Options
    please do not breed

myself

always myself

haha...ur such a punk
  • molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    please do not breed

myself

always myself

too late I already spit out 8! :laugh:
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    please do not breed

myself

always myself

I was just curious..................in the past, our view points are very similar in nature, so i was wondering if you were calling me out on something......
  • codykitty
    Options
    please do not breed

myself

always myself

I was just curious..................in the past, our view points are very similar in nature, so i was wondering if you were calling me out on something......

I'm sure it was about me...he doesn't like me very much.
  • magnolia1077
    Options
    Great post. Thanks!
  • LostinCali
    LostinCali Posts: 155
    Options
    the original post's picture says it all. thanks. I had not seen this before and it's nice to have a visual.
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Options
    Not sure what the debate is about:ohwell:
    the picture speaks volumes...especially about how awful 5 pounds of fat looks!:sick:
    Thanks for posting it! :smile:

Becky
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    please do not breed

myself

always myself

no no
    I do think we share some of the same views on nutrtition
    it just seems amazing that some people actually can debate whether a pound weighs more or less than a pound (of anything)

but it happens and will happen again
    some dead horses seem to have nine lives

and Cody-
    I love everyone includuing you
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    it just seems amazing that some people actually can debate whether a pound weighs more or less than a pound (of anything)
    But no one is debating that. When people say "muscle weighs more than fat" they are clearly talking about BY VOLUME and that picture illustrates perfectly what they mean.

It's only anal people who get all up in arms about the fact that the other posters don't put "by volume" after their statement. Then again, I always say "by volume" after "muscle weighs more than fat". Because I'm anal. :laugh:
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    please do not breed

myself

always myself

no no
    I do think we share some of the same views on nutrtition

but it happens and will happen again
    some dead horses seem to have nine lives

and Cody-
    I love everyone includuing you

I only said this because I have gotten into some very heavy duty arguments with people regarding this statement...........

One person even asked the Dr and the trainer at the gym. :laugh: :laugh: Then got extra mad at me when they told her the same thing I had been saying.........
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    It only weighs more by volume because you can put more muscle into the same space as the fat, there for you won't have the same amount of pounds in the same volume space.
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    But no one is debating that. When people say "muscle weighs more than fat" they are clearly talking about BY VOLUME and that picture illustrates perfectly what they mean.

It's only anal people who get all up in arms about the fact that the other posters don't put "by volume" after their statement. Then again, I always say "by volume" after "muscle weighs more than fat". Because I'm anal. :laugh:

Actually, in real life - I have had people debate this with me..........

That is why it is such a pet peeve of mine.