Insanity & Calories...

Options
I know there is no way in actually telling me exactly how much I am burning...I'm working on getting a HRM...but until then, what should I list my Insanity workout under on here? I listed Monday under Tae Bo but it said I burned almost 700 Calories...That doesn't sound right. TIA!

Replies

• katie133
    katie133 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    This site over estimates calories burned like crazyyyyyyyyyyyyy.... I reccomend getting a HRM, it really helped me.. Sorry but im not sure what to log insanity as.. i know its mostly cardio .. im sure someone will post and know what to log it as
  • gabyp0716
    gabyp0716 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    It doesn't seem that far fetch. I mean getting a HRM is the best way to go. But when I was doing insanity I burned between 500 and 750 calories depending on the workout.
  • Plumbvz
    Plumbvz Posts: 6
    Options
    gabyp0716 is pretty accurate. I bought a HRM to see what each of my workouts were using up and to start jogging.. And was surprised at the amounts. I ranged from 500 to 700 depending on the workout. I have burned 1190 just jogging already. I do some Insanity, but mostly P90X. But of course each person's personal end result will change the calories burned. Active, fat burn and cardio are different heart rates. So different results.
  • dawnkykong
    dawnkykong Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Sweet! Thanks guys...I'll keep logging it as Tae Bo for now...I plan on investing in a HRM, ASAP. I just did the second day of the second month and I've gotta say... HOLY CRAP!

p.s. I never heard of a 'squat push-up' until today...Lol
  • sarai79
    sarai79 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Sweet! Thanks guys...I'll keep logging it as Tae Bo for now...I plan on investing in a HRM, ASAP. I just did the second day of the second month and I've gotta say... HOLY CRAP!

Today will be my fourth day of Insantiy. I am in terrible shape and do not even pretend that I am doing all of the excercises as they should be done, but I never just stand there watching the screen. I am constantly moving, even if I have to do some variation of the excercise being done. I know my limits and I know how and when to push myself. Yesterday I burned 788 calories according to my HRM in 40 minutes. I love, love, love this workout. Even though I'm waddling around like a duck the next morning, I still can't wait to get home to tackle the next DVD and prove to myself that I can do it. Definitely a love/hate relationship. I cannot wait to show my before and after pictures...am sooo looking forward to posting a positive results story by the end of month two! Congrats on your progress so far and keep up the good work.
  • dawnkykong
    Options
    Yeah, its pretty awesome! I have to say, I'm wayyyyyy better at keeping up now. I'm in month two. I haven't been doing so great these past few days... I'm going to do one of my insanity workouts now though! Good luck to you!!:)
  • ullrichMEX
    ullrichMEX Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Only reliable way to calculate calories burned, get a HRM.

I bought one before starting insanity and It was the best investment ever.

I am burning from 500 to 1200 depending on the workout (currently I am in my 2nd month and most of the max workouts keep me burning 1200)

ch3eers
  • Pickles11
    Pickles11 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    You already know the importance of getting a HRM, since you talk about getting one. However, I honestly would say don't eat back 100% of your exercise calories until you get one. Why? Because you might be like me- you could do insanity at the highest, most intense rate possible, but you may not burn calories like other people burn calories.

For example, last year, I did Insanity and was logging at least 500 or 600 calories per workout. However, when I got my HRM, I discovered that I don't burn nearly as many calories as I thought when I workout (and trust me, I still bring it ot the max). I did Cardio Power and Resistance and only burned 231 calories.

Last year when "guestimating," I struggled quite a bit. I just wasn't losing weight very consistently. Ever since I got my HRM, I have lost weight consistently. You already know the importance of getting a HRM, but until then, don't rely on the crazy numbers some people get. At this time, I eat back 100% of my exercise calories which works great for me. However, clearly it didn't work before I knew exactly how much I was burning.
  • kcmomof2
    kcmomof2 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Before I got my HRM I logged my Insanity workouts as circuit training, general. MFP was pretty accurate for me (only off by 70-100 calories, which I attribute that to the stretching sections) compared to my HRM. I did 4 straight rounds of Insanity and still do the workouts on my nonrunning days. Absolutely love it.
  • dawnkykong
    Options
    Working on getting a HRM... any advice on a good one? One that's not overly expensive...

Thanks guys!
  • swilk627
    swilk627 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your size and current fitness level. I'm only burning between 300-400 for a 40 minute workout.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I would definitely get a heart rate monitor, because your personal caloric burn will differ from the estimates on here. Mine, for instance, are waaaay higher than the estimates, because my heart rate is apparently a lot higher than the average person's, which is one factor they use when calculating calories burned on here. Most people say MFP overestimates their calories, but mine usually underestimates them, because of that factor, and I didn't know that until I got one.

I have a Polar FT7, and I love it. If you look on Amazon, you can find some great deals for a lot of heart rate monitors.
  • dawnkykong
    Options
    Ordered my HRM today! I will come back and post what I'm burning as soon as I receive it.:) Can't wait!!! Thanks for the help.
  • sloanie1
    sloanie1 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    When I do the workouts I normally burn about 3-400 depending which ones they are.....it shouldn't matter too much if you aren't eating back all your exercise calories...:o)
  • KNarrainen
    KNarrainen Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    As everyone is saying, and you probably already know, a HRM is the only accurate way of recording your calorie burn.
    Before I got mine I was logging Insanity as Circuit Training.

But you can't really use this, or other peoples guide burns as an indication, as everyone is completly different.

As an example I did the Cardio Power and Resistance this morning and burnt 321 calories, but my resting heart rate is 55, plus I am only a few pounds above my target weight.

Also MFP estimates don't take into account how much actual effort you put in, I think I didn't push myself enough this morning, but I still got an accurate read, so I can eat accordingly.

Hope this is some help.

The HRM I went for was, the Beurer 25. £36 on Amazon, it's a good solid no frills HRM that gives me calorie burn, fat burn, times in zones that I can set, I think it's a great investment, that and Insanity (£40 from a local seller) are the best 2 things I have done for my fitness.
  • dawnkykong
    Options
    Got my HRM today! I did 45 mins of Insanity and burned 509 calories. Woo hoo for an accurate reading. :) Pretty excited about it.
  • ClassyNSassy730
    Options

Today will be my fourth day of Insantiy. I am in terrible shape and do not even pretend that I am doing all of the excercises as they should be done, but I never just stand there watching the screen. I am constantly moving, even if I have to do some variation of the excercise being done. I know my limits and I know how and when to push myself. Yesterday I burned 788 calories according to my HRM in 40 minutes. I love, love, love this workout. Even though I'm waddling around like a duck the next morning, I still can't wait to get home to tackle the next DVD and prove to myself that I can do it. Definitely a love/hate relationship. I cannot wait to show my before and after pictures...am sooo looking forward to posting a positive results story by the end of month two! Congrats on your progress so far and keep up the good work.

I am day 21 of Insanity. Every DVD kicks my butt Nd I completely agree with you- it's a love/hate thing lol . I feel sooo awesome when I have gotten through a work out, and I am doing so much better at keeping up.. And the exercises I could hardly do when I just started, I am proud to say at least I'm able to do a few sets of almost everything now! ... But I'm a little nervous to start the second month so I might do an exta week of month 1 work outs before I jump to the 2nd month!! And after readying other posts, I thinki will try to get an HMR to get a more accurate reading of calories burned too