BMR - what is it I'm not understanding?

Options
MFP has my BMR at 1688.
I understand from what I've read this means I need at least this to function. I've read that if I was in a coma this is the minimum I need.

The bit I don't get is why then am I given less than that by MFP to lose weight. I seem to be missing something in the maths.
Maintenance is 2110
to lose 1 lb a week is 1610
to lose 2 lbs a week is 1200
( I understand the 1200 would be 1110 by taking off the required 1000 cals for a loss of 2 lbs but MFP doesn't go under 1200.)

So by eating 1610 or 1200 aren't I eating under what my body actually needs just to function?
This confuses me a little.

weight loss for dummy type of answers would be appreciated, with thanks.

Replies

• jaabee11
    jaabee11 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    bump
  • adaplas
    adaplas Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    MFP has my BMR at 1688.
    I understand from what I've read this means I need at least this to function. I've read that if I was in a coma this is the minimum I need.

The bit I don't get is why then am I given less than that by MFP to lose weight. I seem to be missing something in the maths.
    Maintenance is 2110
    ( I understand the 1200 would be 1110 by taking off the required 1000 cals for a loss of 2 lbs but MFP doesn't go under 1200.)

So by eating 1610 or 1200 aren't I eating under what my body actually needs just to function?

In order to support your BMR + daily activities, you will need 2110 calories per day. If you eat only 1610 kcals, you will still need 500 kcals to survive. It will come from the burning of your stored fats (and muscles). Since there is approximately 4000 kcals per pound of fat, you need to burn 500-600 kcals worth of fat per day to lose 1 pound a week.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    MFP has my BMR at 1688.

Maintenance is 2110

Unfortunately MFP has a default lower limit of 1200, rather than an individual's BMR.

If you aren't happy with the MFP figure, work out your TDEE, deduct 15-20% and then set MFP calories manually.

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    So basically, for YOU, it is SAFEST to only aim for a 1 lb per week loss. 2 lbs per week is an unhealthy and too aggressive goal for your body at your activity level.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Actually, your understanding of this seems to be spot on. Kudos!

Perhaps try eating right at your BMR for a few weeks, observe your progress, and take it from there.

Also, my understanding is that people with quite a lot to lose can "afford" to dip below their BMR for some period of time. But please do your own research about this; preferably with a dietitian. I am not completely sure of it and would hate to send you down an unhealthy path.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    It's a glorified calculator. If your maintenance is 2110 and you said you wanted to lose one pound a week, it subtracts 500 calories. Pretty simple and the site never claimed that was appropriate for you.
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Nooooooooo
    Your input calorie shoud not be below your BMR cal. If you do go below the BMR for too long, you body will try
    to adjust to survive so it would reduce your metabolism then you will stop lose weight and may even gain weight (ex yoyo diet).
    If you do go below, make sure you eat enough protein (1 gr per your LBM) so you don't lose your lean body mass.
  • jaabee11
    jaabee11 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    this is what I'm wondering. How did you come by this info?
    Nooooooooo
    Your input calorie shoud not be below your BMR cal. If you do go below the BMR for too long, you body will try
    to adjust to survive so it would reduce your metabolism then you will stop lose weight and may even gain weight (ex yoyo diet).
    If you do go below, make sure you eat enough protein (1 gr per your LBM) so you don't lose your lean body mass.