Stay At Home Moms/Dads--5/4--5/10

Options
staceyw37
staceyw37 Posts: 2,094 Member
:flowerforyou: Good morning! It's a new week with new goals and challenges--right?

I'm still challenging myself to do 60min exercise 5 d/week, move 20miles and drink 7 glasses of water each day.
What are you working on??

I feel much better (still asthma cough but can definitely go about my business now). so thanks for the well wishes. I did my exercise this am and if i have time later, i'll do more. if not, well at least i got in the 4mi with Leslie. :happy:

**Quick Q: what ideas for quick dinner tonight? **
I did pizza the other night, bean and cheese burritos last night, and no one wants leftover meatloaf again.

What could i make for the kids/family that will be easy to prepare and cook? I have frozen chkn breasts, beans, rice, couscous, pasta, tator tots, frozen ground beef, eggs, some mozz cheese, tom sauce--pretty much all the basics.

Will check back later--:heart:

Any suggestions??

Replies

• staceyw37
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good morning! It's a new week with new goals and challenges--right?

I'm still challenging myself to do 60min exercise 5 d/week, move 20miles and drink 7 glasses of water each day.
    What are you working on??

I feel much better (still asthma cough but can definitely go about my business now). so thanks for the well wishes. I did my exercise this am and if i have time later, i'll do more. if not, well at least i got in the 4mi with Leslie. :happy:

**Quick Q: what ideas for quick dinner tonight? **
    I did pizza the other night, bean and cheese burritos last night, and no one wants leftover meatloaf again.

What could i make for the kids/family that will be easy to prepare and cook? I have frozen chkn breasts, beans, rice, couscous, pasta, tator tots, frozen ground beef, eggs, some mozz cheese, tom sauce--pretty much all the basics.

Will check back later--:heart:

Any suggestions??
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    Checking in....I don't know how much exercise I'll get today because Aunt Flo is in town and I feel cruddy. :sick: :sick: :sick: but I did manage to get some grocery shopping done today. bought a lot of fresh fruit and veggies, and some of those "green bags" that are supposed to help preserve produce. I'll let y'all know how they work:smile:
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    If you have a crock pot. I like taking frozen chicken breasts, cream of celery soup(1/2 water, 1/2 milk), peas, carrots and red potatoes and making a pot pie. Put it over freshly made biscuits. Yummy.
  • writer4him
    writer4him Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I like chicken breasts marinated in italian dressing (fat free works great), grilled, with a little moz. cheese melted on top!

Goals for this week - to NOT go over in calories any of my days and also to complete week 2 of the 100 push ups challenge.

Getting ready to do my push ups now! Have a great day all!
    Kathy
  • staceyw37
    Options
    thanks for the suggestions! i'm gonna do the grilled chicken idea tomorrow.

i decided b/c of our timing that we'll either grab take out (for kids) or they'll have waffles and apples and yogurt.

i have a crock pot but still don't really know how to use it. so i don't want to experiment w/it today. really need to learn that thing! :wink:

later--
  • writer4him
    Options
    I have to say, when you decide to experiment with your crock pot, the chicken-salsa recipe posted on the recipe section of this site is easy and awesome! I also have a yummy corn chowder recipe (not low cal) that I make in my crock pot. I find the crock pot is great for soup and stew, which we eat a lot of in the winter. In the warmer months, I like to use it if I need to be out all day and don't want to deal with a hot oven later.
  • Nadyasmom
    Nadyasmom Posts: 281
    Options
    Oooh...how you all make me long for a crock pot! I've searched for years for one and haven't found it yet. I guess no one here uses them. Sigh...

Anyhow--I am depressed. I used to always be smaller than my sister and now she's lost a ton of weight and is tiny! Size 4! So I bought a pair of 4's today to just "see" how tight they would be. I thought I wouldn't be able to buttom them--but NOPE--couldn't even get them UP! Sigh.... So they are chasing me as my new motivation.

I told DH that he has to help me because watching him eat chips and soda and snacks all the time doesn't help me eat healthy. I've gotta get back on track. Sigh...
  • staceyw37
    Options
    ((hugs)) you are on the right track so just keep going forward. we're here to support you! :heart:
  • Nadyasmom
    Nadyasmom Posts: 281
    Options
    Thanks Stacey--good news is, we finally have a confirmed starting date for the studio to open. Starting with just one day of week of teaching (4 hour long classes) but hoping to quickly grow from there. This does mean that I need to start choreographing asap so that should get me moving more.

How are you doing? You were sick a bit last week right? Feeling better?
  • magnolia1077
    Options
    Checking in before my busy day starts. I tell you, Monday's I don't feel like doing anything! Now it's Tuesday and as usual I'm playing catch up. Hope everyone is having a great week so far!! :heart:
  • staceyw37
    Options
    Thanks Stacey--good news is, we finally have a confirmed starting date for the studio to open. Starting with just one day of week of teaching (4 hour long classes) but hoping to quickly grow from there. This does mean that I need to start choreographing asap so that should get me moving more.

How are you doing? You were sick a bit last week right? Feeling better?

that is good news about the studio--i think it's so cool that you teach dance. :love:
    and i am feeling much better, thank you. stamina not back to normal yet and my tummy was messed up from the antihistamines....but altogether better.
    like allyson, i feel like there is so much catch up to do. oh well. i'll get to it....
    ciao!--
  • staceyw37
    Options
    hey folks! i hope your day is off to a bright start. it's beautiful out here today--lt breeze, sunny, 70. i love mornings like this that are still so gentle.
    the forecast calls for a high of 97, so this kind of am is espec appreciated. :happy:

well, i've been doing alright meeting my challenges this week. i'm also taking my sugar cereal addiction day by day. yesterday i resisted all day. now onto today. :tongue:

i've got to eat bf--tummy growling. hope you all are dong well and staying focused on your goals--we can succeed!

:flowerforyou:
  • Ahmee2034
    Ahmee2034 Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Hello, y'all. I'm new to MFP. I started my lifestyle change (refuse to call it dieting...not healthy thought process) last summer. I started at 179 and am now down to 142. I was doing great - going to the gym 3-4 times a week. Eating healthy and, here's the thing, NOT EVEN THINKING ABOUT IT ANYMORE! It was finally coming naturally to turn to healthy choices. On top of that, I also quit smoking. Chantex, miraculous. Anyway, all was right with the world. Then, on Easter day of this year, BAM! My 17 year old son was involved in an auto accident. He suffered a broken neck and finger. He's undergone a neck fusion where the doctors put rods, plates and pins in his neck. He no longer has ligaments connecting his skull to his spine. Without ligaments, his head is basically like a bobble head. No support at all. The surgery was a success. We weren't lucky, he is BLESSED. We all know that without a doubt. GOD IS GREAT! My son will make a full recovery...A slow recovery, but a full recovery.

Anyway, I chose this particular forum because I've become a stay at home mom overnight. Naturally, I'm not at all complaining; I'm beyond blessed to have him alive and well to take care of. My problem? It's been nearly 3 weeks now and reality is setting in. I'm getting more and more depressed having to be home. I don't have family that lives close enough to be able to really help out. My hubby has to work, especially since I'm on leave from my job. I really try not to have a pity party but lately it has been getting harder. All I want to do is stay in bed and take care of my son. I've been eating healthy foods, etc. Actually, I'm not eating nearly enough calories per day. I'm lucky if I get in 800/day. I know that isn't healthy. I know what I need to do but can't seem to pull myself out of this "rut." I need encouragement, please. I've told myself all the logical and obvious things. I'm just blah...
  • staceyw37
    Options
    Hello, y'all. I'm new to MFP. I started my lifestyle change (refuse to call it dieting...not healthy thought process) last summer. I started at 179 and am now down to 142. I was doing great - going to the gym 3-4 times a week. Eating healthy and, here's the thing, NOT EVEN THINKING ABOUT IT ANYMORE! It was finally coming naturally to turn to healthy choices. On top of that, I also quit smoking. Chantex, miraculous. Anyway, all was right with the world. Then, on Easter day of this year, BAM! My 17 year old son was involved in an auto accident. He suffered a broken neck and finger. He's undergone a neck fusion where the doctors put rods, plates and pins in his neck. He no longer has ligaments connecting his skull to his spine. Without ligaments, his head is basically like a bobble head. No support at all. The surgery was a success. We weren't lucky, he is BLESSED. We all know that without a doubt. GOD IS GREAT! My son will make a full recovery...A slow recovery, but a full recovery.

Anyway, I chose this particular forum because I've become a stay at home mom overnight. Naturally, I'm not at all complaining; I'm beyond blessed to have him alive and well to take care of. My problem? It's been nearly 3 weeks now and reality is setting in. I'm getting more and more depressed having to be home. I don't have family that lives close enough to be able to really help out. My hubby has to work, especially since I'm on leave from my job. I really try not to have a pity party but lately it has been getting harder. All I want to do is stay in bed and take care of my son. I've been eating healthy foods, etc. Actually, I'm not eating nearly enough calories per day. I'm lucky if I get in 800/day. I know that isn't healthy. I know what I need to do but can't seem to pull myself out of this "rut." I need encouragement, please. I've told myself all the logical and obvious things. I'm just blah...

welcome! this is a great group to join! there are a variety of people who come in and out so i hope you'll visit often. :flowerforyou:

i'm so sorry to hear about your son's accident--but that's great that he will make a full recovery. it's a big adjustment to switch to staying home, so be gentle with yourself.
    do you want hand holding or kick in the butt stuff?

kick in the butt variety: you need to eat more! add in high calorie nutrient dense foods to meet your needs (2T nut butter, avocado, nuts, protein shakes). you need to keep your health up to take care of your boy.
    soft pedaling it: add a little bit more food to what you're already eating. so, throw cheese in with your beans and rice, have 3 eggs for breakfast or your salad instead of 2, add raisins to stuff (really yummy with carrots), add a piece of toast to your breakfast, eat one extra fruit. the calories will creep up without feeling stuffed.

as for exercise--can another person (neighbor? college or hs student?) hang out for 1-2 hours so you can go to the gym? or get dvds from the library or order cheap from walmart.com. i'm really lovin' the leslie sansone walk at home series and it's definitely improving my health, strength, msrments, wt loss. so that might be another option for you.

or just recognize that this is a phase of your life and rt now your focus is on him. and the other things that round out your life will come back in play later. a mindset of time and place for everything. kwim?

well, i hope that wasn't too much at once. i guess i'm "chatty" this am. :laugh:

again, welcome! and prayers for your son's continued recovery. :heart:
  • writer4him
    Options

Ahmee - Welcome to the group! I'm so sorry about your son's accident - but praise God the surgery was a success! On a very small level, I know how hard it is to be home helping someone recover from surgery. My dh had a snowboarding accident in February and broke his collarbone - had to have a metal plate put in - for three weeks he was helpless as a baby - couldn't even dress himself and needed help in the bathroom! And the medicine he was on made him sleep almost all the time and act strange when he was awake. I was depressed, and it was only a few weeks! So I can't imagine how hard it must be for a longer amount of time. You & your family are in my prayers! This group is great to help you stay focused. And like Stacy said - it's not that hard to eat a small amount of "high impact" foods, like nuts, to help you get a few more hundred calories in!

Kathy
  • staceyw37
    Options
    do y'all have any fast ideas for mother's day for my mil's?? they don't live here so it needs to be something i order online and send to them.
    also, they have EVERYTHING so i was thinking something consumable. thoughts??

:heart:
  • writer4him
    Options
    We live in a different state for both my mom and my mil. They both LOVE going out to eat so we almost always get them a restaurant gift card. Always appreciated by them both.
  • staceyw37
    Options
    We live in a different state for both my mom and my mil. They both LOVE going out to eat so we almost always get them a restaurant gift card. Always appreciated by them both.

that's a good idea.
    i found a gift for my husb's mom and it will get there after mother's day, but she'll be ok with that. and my girls liked it.
    i was going to do a floral arrangement my daughter picked, but pro flowers was adding all these extra delivery fees so that the delivery cost was the same as the flowers. nuts!
    so, i'll either find a local florist --or maybe gift them a gift card from wine.com or something like that. they are big wine drinkers. and your idea made me think of this. :happy:
    so thanks.

'night--
  • staceyw37
    Options
    up and at 'em!

Hi all! Today I am hoping to get at least 1 big workout in. Last night we had dinner at On the Border, and what a waste--of cals, $. They have changed their menu lots and increased their prices since our last time there. And my fingers are SWOLLEN. oh well...lesson learned and today i will drink extra to get it out of my system.

so that's my story. what are you all up to today??
    check in and let us know. :happy:
  • Ahmee2034
    Ahmee2034 Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Well, my sisters were able to come and visit today. I was so siked. I cooked them a healthy, satisfying lunch and they LOVED IT! One of my sisters actually got on the treadmill and walked 1 mile. I'm so proud of her. It was so nice to have company and share my recipes and stuff. I wish they could come everyday!